Need help with Preventative maintenance

• Thread starter Demon46D
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Demon46D

Demon46D

Does anyone have any information on maintenance with bugs? I haven’t started my grow yet but I just need a little help with recommendations for any kind of repellent.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Rather than go chemical why not start with a clean room, plants YOU started from seed or cuts thereof, and be careful of what you are wearing in your room. If you get bugs maybe try using beneficial insects to control the issue; with beneficials though you have to use them early, if you think you have a problem buy what you need. Persimilis for spider mites, ladybugs for aphids, diatomaceous earth, if you grow in soil or soiless mix, can be helpful as well.

Ponky

Ponky

Safers 3 in 1 once a week. Thoroughly soak. Stop at week 3 of flower unless an issue pops up. (In Canada most stuff is banned)
Never have a problem.

Colossus

Colossus

Does anyone have any information on maintenance with bugs? I haven’t started my grow yet but I just need a little help with recommendations for any kind of repellent.
I've just used De-Gnat for the first time, its a natural mineral sourced from earths bullshit, it goes over ur medium (soil, coir) about 5cm covering. It basically sets a silicon layer, great for Alphids (Gnats) and even spider mite apparently!

I have found it may be the reason my pH is so high in the run off.

Screenshot 2021 06 20 16 19 10 55 260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
Neem oil/soap solution in a sprayer once a week, if in pots outside, a ring of fine table salt around the pot to keep slugs/snails away.

Colossus

Colossus

Chillies 😂😂😂

I guess i inherited the house with it. There was signs of previous grow when i occupied but the back yard is clearly flowing with them!

I used a bomb pre transplanting, now ill use nature guard for spraying around the tent at night, but use a stronger fly killer for the greater room when lights out. That ensures i kill the adults as they fly in, the eggs and larvae can be dealt 1 on 1 with De-Gnat

Farmer88

Farmer88

@airedog had the best advice for before you plant. Channel that Jordan Peterson and clean your room. Before planting grab yourself some insect monitoring pads and place them in the grown area and see if anything is present. Continue to use the cards throughout the grow for early detection.

It is also good practice to have clean coveralls and boots to change into before entering the grow area. Keeping light hydrogen peroxide solution by the doors for you to step in keeps outdoor bacteria and fungus from following you.

Now start collecting any pesticides you think you may need during the observation phase and look for as many products as you can reasonably afford so that a rotation between active ingredients is possible. Basics would be neem oil, insecticidal soap, diatomaceous earth, and heavy metal fungicide.

If you want comprehensive information, pesticide classes are available at your local agricultural extension. This will allow you to get hands on knowledge of pesticides and builds credits towards a restricted licence if you want to or need to be able to purchace restricted chemicals. If for some reason someone asks why you're there tell them you raise hops, or just tell them the truth no one cares any more.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
I just got my hands on praying mantis egg sacs. Releasing them in my garden this week after they hatch.

Farmer88

Farmer88

I just got my hands on praying mantis egg sacs. Releasing them in my garden this week after they hatch.

Good luck, you picked the hardest one. Beasts if you can get them to adult stages.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Good luck, you picked the hardest one. Beasts if you can get them to adult stages.
You take them (the mason jar) out of the fridge and when they start hatching a wee later,you remove the screen lid and lay it sideways in your garden. If you don't do that as soon as they hatch, they'll eat each other. You get 150-200 babies and they will lay more eggs for the next years.

Farmer88

Farmer88

You take them (the mason jar) out of the fridge and when they start hatching a wee later,you remove the screen lid and lay it sideways in your garden. If you don't do that as soon as they hatch, they'll eat each other. You get 150-200 babies and they will lay more eggs for the next years.

I am aware and have lots of experience breeding a releasing predatory insects for IPM. Mantis is just the hardest with the highest juvenile mortality rate. They are also very territorial in confined spaces. However, the rewards for continued breeding outpace the other insects available on the market by miles. Just difficult. You'll get no discouragement from me, I wish nothing but sucess in your ventures.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Natural Insect Control, in Canada, sells them every spring and you can pre-order. Their staff entomoligist will recommend products if you send photos. They're my go-to for pest control.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
We put egg cases in front and back yard. Our neighbour gets one for her day care kids too. We also take care not to disturb mud dauber wasp nests on our property.

Top Bottom