Need help with yellow patches on leaves!

• Thread starter magnus28
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

magnus28

Hello there! First post.

My name is Mark, I currently live in Peru.
I have over 25 years experience growing quality bud. I consider my experience a the upper level of advanced, and until now, I didn't think I could come across a problem that could stump me!

I have battled over the years, mildew, mold, spider mites (the worst thing that could ever happen to your cannabis), fungi, nute deficiency, nute burn, everything you could imagine! I never had a problem that I couldn't readily identify - until now.

I have a Blue Dream seed that is about 3 weeks old. She is in a mix of black earth, humus, peat moss, amended earth, and perlite.
Temp and ph is ok
humidity is ok
growing indoors on an 18/6 cycle.

I noticed on the first set of fan leaves a yellow 'blotch' pattern developing, almost like some sort of camouflage pattern. I let it alone for 3 days so the secondary fan leaves could grow out a little more, then I cut them off. Now the secondary leaves have the same affliction. It's unlike anything I have seen before. Normally, if I saw yellow on the outsides of the leaves I would think nitrogen deficiency, or maybe magnesium. But this 'pattern' has like clear rounded patterns. I haven't added any nutrients as I believe she is still a little too young, and besides she still has nutes in the amended soil and humus... So I know it isn't a nute def or burn... I am thinking maybe it's a parasitic attack? I checked the underside of the leaves, not s pattern, so I know it's not leaf miners.. The plant is in a closet, so it would be hard for something to fly in there and lay eggs... So i'm thinking some sort of disease or infestation.

The first photo is a SS from a video I took, Just to show you guys how much the fan leaves are drooping.. Other than the yellow blotches on the leaves, the plant has a nice dark green color and an almost metallic shine to the leaves...

Need help with yellow patches on leaves
Need help with yellow patches on leaves 2
Need help with yellow patches on leaves 3
Need help with yellow patches on leaves 4
Need help with yellow patches on leaves 5
Beachbumm

Beachbumm

That pattern is somewhat unusual. Shiny leaves, I'm assuming you've checked for mites? Could you post a picture of the new growth

M

magnus28

That pattern is somewhat unusual. Shiny leaves, I'm assuming you've checked for mites? Could you post a picture of the new growth
I know right? I've never seen it in 25 years of growing... I'll post a new picture later this evening when i'm at my house. Thanks for the reply!

Grower1974

Grower1974

Medium is too hot right now. Causing stress and partial certain nutrient lockout.

Beachbumm

Beachbumm

I know right? I've never seen it in 25 years of growing... I'll post a new picture later this evening when i'm at my house. Thanks for the reply!
I've been growing 20 years and I've never seen that either?

M

magnus28

Medium is too hot right now. Causing stress and partial certain nutrient lockout.
not the case at all.. the ambient temperature is about 23 degrees in the day and about 19 during the sleep cycle... the lights I have are super high quality and give off almost no heat. I'm not denying the plant isn't stressed out, but nutrients and temps have nothing to do with it..

Grower1974

Grower1974

not the case at all.. the ambient temperature is about 23 degrees in the day and about 19 during the sleep cycle... the lights I have are super high quality and give off almost no heat. I'm not denying the plant isn't stressed out, but nutrients and temps have nothing to do with it..
I wasn’t referring to temperature.

M

magnus28

Im gonna say something going on with the root zone. Ph or overall root health. Have you used that mix before with good results? Is the plant able to drain properly?
i've used the mix before, without problems... it has peatmoss and perlite mixed in so drainage is optimal.

L

LeafLoomer

That’s always a positive sign. And if the damage isn’t spreading, that’s definitely reassuring.

Beachbumm

Beachbumm

no such thing as hot soil,.. as in nutrients
Agree, hot soil is a myth. The only thing I've found is hot clumps, and if you don't mix your soil up well once out of the bag a hot clump occasionally will come in contact with a seedling or a young clone and cause issues. Could be how this myth came about

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

no such thing as hot soil,.. as in nutrients
yep my super soil is over 4 EC, i can't measure more than that with my probe, LOL they don't give a shit for that, they just grow. And i put clones directly on it without cutting it with anything.
Super soils and living soil can range from 2 to 8 EC easily.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Agree, hot soil is a myth. The only thing I've found is hot clumps, and if you don't mix your soil up well once out of the bag a hot clump occasionally will come in contact with a seedling or a young clone and cause issues. Could be how this myth came about
yep some strong N amendments can fry stuff if not properly mixed and cooked in living soils.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Dark and shiny leaves is too much nitrogen typically. I guess you overwatered and messes up your roots

M

magnus28

Dark and shiny leaves is too much nitrogen typically. I guess you overwatered and messes up your roots
I know... but the thing is I have yet to feed her, so it would be impossible for the plant to be oversaturated with N when the only available source for N is in the soil, mostly from the humus.. As for overwatering, the drainage is such that it runs out the bottom almost instantly.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
slide the plant out and take a picture of the roots,. white roots, brown roots?

M

magnus28

slide the plant out and take a picture of the roots,. white roots, brown roots?
i'm gonna transplant it tomorrow into a 9 gal pot tomorrow, that will give me a chance to inspect and photograph the roots.

Top Bottom