Need info cracking 25 year old seeds?

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'm going to crack a few soon and I'm a little anxious about it cuz I think these are special seeds (I wouldn't have kept them if they weren't)👈🙂

I will probably try to scuff them, but I have never had luck trying to scuff seeds (I think I scuff them too much?) I've even tried the little pill container and spin them with the sand people lining and that didn't go well either. I stopped that a few years ago because I think I had zero luck with treating seeds like that :/

I was wondering if there's anything to soak them in that would help? One person mentioned a kelp soak and I was wondering what else people do with old seeds?

Madbud

Madbud

I can only tell you what never worked for me, soaking, sandpaper, biting and coconut water. After a couple years the seeds just dry out in a baggie, but a couple thousand years in a pyramid is a different matter.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I can only tell you what never worked for me, soaking, sandpaper, biting and coconut water. After a couple years the seeds just dry out in a baggie, but a couple thousand years in a pyramid is a different matter.
🤔 (wonders where to get a pyramid this time of day?)

That's kind of what I was thinking really, I didn't know if there was a tried-and-true method but I doubt it; and somebody already said sometimes they crack and they just lay there and die, I've seen that before on seeds that were not even that old :/

I'm going to do some in a paper towel and some in medium right next to them, same conditions 80°, full humidity, Dome & all that see what happens?!🤞🙏🤞

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

That's kind of what I was thinking really, I didn't know if there was a tried-and-true method but I doubt it; and somebody already said sometimes they crack and they just lay there and die, I've seen that before on seeds that were not even that old :/

I'm going to do some in a paper towel and some in medium right next to them, same conditions 80°, full humidity, Dome & all that see what happens?!🤞🙏🤞
Wanted to add I'm going to do a short 1 hour soak in warm distilled water, don't want to risk drowning anything that might be alive!

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I store my beans in the fridge in a pill bottle of rice to prevent condensation, however my boy has seeds from the 90s, you need to soak in a cup of warm water for a few hours, if they float wait till they sink, not all will germanate but many will. Nature allways finds a way, happy growing.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

I have found a combination of h2o2 and ga3 usually does the trick, IF seeds are still viable. I wish you well with germination. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Madbud

Madbud

Got a new idea and a bag of seeds from last century, seriously not one less than 20 years old. Freeze some in a cup of soil inside a baggie, then germinate in sunlight. Here we go
funny thing is none have stripes

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

There's a good article in the sticky threads, the germination bomb... Id give it a read
Thanks!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter

I have some beans from the late 70s that will still crack, although the rate has dropped off a lot to about 10%. I still use a ziplock and paper towels, with tap water. Call me a caveman!

Indiva710

Indiva710

I have heard treating them like tissue culture for starting old seeds is the way to go by rinsing them with h2o2 then u could get a small container and lid and line with sandpaper and give a shake...Then they say to use sterilized sugar and carbs I believe it was there's a utube video that does it that way and he says it does wonders as it gives the old seeds the ooomph they need to sprout and grow hope it helps best of luck

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter

Amazon sold out of pyramids just 2 days into this pandemic 😅😅😅

basscaptain

basscaptain

so what ended up happening........ if it was me I would of soaked them in 75%water 25% HP for 2 days then to a coffee filter and shot of HP in that, and them 3 days in the black box.......................

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

I've had great luck using a "rooting solution" of iba, kelp extract, and aspirin in the germination medium. Impressive initial results on clones as well.

Sorry. Formula.

500mL H2O
.01g IBA
5g liquid kelp extract
100mg aspirin

Sprayed over the medium before planting the seeds, and on the leaves of the recently cloned plants.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Getting ready to try a few of these seeds I'm going to do them pretty much routine with the paper towels and the rest of the bells and whistles, if anything happens I'll come back with some pics ✌😎

Latest posts

Top Bottom