Need Info On Coir-peat Bricks

• Thread starter superskunk4u
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
superskunk4u

superskunk4u

Hi all just wanted to get some farmers advice on this coir brick I grabbed today from Bunnings. I know nothing about the stuff apart from it was $1.00 u just add water and yeah.... BUT the young I was talking to that worked there made a more then odvious comment a number of times letting me know I will want to flush it 4-5 times with rather hot water can anyone tell me what she would of ment and what ever else you know in regards to this. Cheers.

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

I put a brick of this size in a 5 gal. bucket and then fill it with hot tap water.. I allow the coco to soak 24 hours.. You might want to do this twice,, I do.. Coco is not a potato chip with salt on the outside.. The salt is inside the coco coir and imho needs to be soaked out.. Afterwards some will charge their coco with cal/mag or nutes,, but I haven't found the need too..
Peace

superskunk4u

superskunk4u

I put a brick of this size in a 5 gal. bucket and then fill it with hot tap water.. I allow the coco to soak 24 hours.. You might want to do this twice,, I do.. Coco is not a potato chip with salt on the outside.. The salt is inside the coco coir and imho needs to be soaked out.. Afterwards some will charge their coco with cal/mag or nutes,, but I haven't found the need too..
Peace
Imho ?? i dont know that one and thanks for letting me know what the go is with it.

hermit186

hermit186

Read the labels some of that stuff has wood byproducts as filler not sure how bad that would be but if you get a stain in the water is a clue is not just coco. Coco should not stain the water and if it dose has dye to make wood filler right color.
In my humble opinion
is very welcome here.

superskunk4u

superskunk4u

Well, I soaked it for 24hr in hot water then drained it and repeated the process again put some perlite in it and had these seedlings that didnt look so good just gave them my nuit mix and they are back from death row and loving the coir.

R

rascali

Nowadays the good stuff doesn't need any special flushing as described, but in all honesty, that brand isn't a looker...

P

Pimples

That cheap stuff...prolly isnt rinsed and buffered. You get what cha pay for. Get a ph and ec meter. Learn how to calibrate amd use it and rinse the shit outta that cheap stuff. Trust me. Coco coir...tje good buffered quality kind is much better. But anyways...rinse it best you can with hot tap water. Believe it or not harder tap is even better. Then buffer it with about 300 ppm (0.6ec) of a good cal mag or calcium nitrate. Let it sit for 24 hours or more...and give her hell. Then water in new transplants with a quality coco coir nute and a root Stimulator at about 500 ppm (1.0 ec) at a pH of 5.8. Make sure you base nute that you choose is low in potassium cuz your questionable coco will release a ton of it on its own. Botanicare CNS17 Grow at 3-1-2 is a good one for your cheap coir.

Last edited:
Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

I put my bricks in a pillowcase
That goes in a five gallon bucket
Fill let expand
Pull out pillow case and dump water
Then put pillow case of coco back into bucket and cover with a tap water and calmag solution for at least a hour
Drain
Squeeze
Plant
Relax and grow on

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

I also rinse coco bricks for 24 hours, then I make sure teres cal mag in first use, I'm anal about stuff though i rinse perlite and ph before use. OCD style.

Latest posts

Top Bottom