Need Lots Of Help Started Growing Again After 15 Years

• Thread starter Deerslayer22
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Deerslayer22

Deerslayer22

It's been a long time but I love plants and how they grow and matured I started a clone in a starter cup of dirt and I transplanted it into an areoponics system wich. Is totally new to me to begin with it's been a week almost two weeks but my plant lost its first set of leaves on the bottom now I notice the edges are curling and turning yellow my girl needs some help

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
You need to read all the beginner threads. You can start a seed in soil and go from there.

Deerslayer22

Deerslayer22

I have read books and books when I was a kid I grew in soil and never had a problem this year I wanted to try areoponics just for something to try I started the seeds same way as I always have but I transplanted them into the areoponics bucket almost two weeks ago and I am
Not really likening what I'm seeing one day leafs are yellow then bottom set died now it's almost like my top leafs are curling and have yellow edges its new to grow this way so I don't know if she is just shocked from dirt to areo or if I screwed up somewhere just wanted some input

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Are they still under the same light?

Did you check the ph of the aero solution?

Deerslayer22

Deerslayer22

I have them under 20-4 light and I didn't use any solution I used fish tank water quite a few places said the dirty fish tank water has the same nutrients .... Like I said I did a lot of reading but never grew this route before so it is all new to me never really had any problems with soil just takes longer that way

click80

click80

You need, imo, to put them in a basic nute solution. I think there's too many unkowns using that tank water. Seedlings are tempermental and....well I think a mild hydro nute mix might help.

Deerslayer22

Deerslayer22

Ya I actually told my wife today before I posted this question that we should just go to our local grow shop and buy the stuff made for it and not use the tank water or if I just
Use half water and half tank water to dilute the nitrogen in tank water

click80

click80

I mean don't get me wrong I think the general principle is sound or else aquaponics wouldnt exist. I'm just thinking since you have a problem, and it is prexisting that would be the first place I'd start and then maybe work the fish water into it slowly. Maybe use Spurrs formula as a guideline to compare to the general nutrient content of Fish tank water. I'm kind of thinking that if it's a fish tank was only three or four fish that's a little bit different than aquaponics where you got hundreds of fish in just a few hundred square feet.

click80

click80

I'm on a piece of shit mobile. I didn't mean pre-existing. I meant usually by the time you see a problem it probably started at some point previous to visual id.

Deerslayer22

Deerslayer22

Almost looked like light was to close and it was curling from heat lower leafs look better than closer ones to light so again made me wonder some of these things u have never had a problem with during soil growing

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

I would definitely ditch the fish tank water, aero can be very temperamental. If your going to grow in water then there's some things that HAVE to be considered.
#1- PH, for hydro a safe range is 5.2-6.1. If your not in this range your plants most likely aren't happy. Look up pH lockouts, looks like a deficiency but more nutes never fixes pH problems.
#2- PPM. Ideal range can vary a lot from strain to strain, but with seedlings I would stay less then 300 for sure. growing in water especially you need to have some kind of meter to see what's going on with your plants. If ppm is dropping, your plants are eating. If it rises, you've got your solution too concentrated.
#3- water. General rule for growing in water is get a reverse osmosis system. Then you start with 0 ppm and you know what you are feeding your plants. Stick with a base nutrient made for your growing style.
Not that fish tank water couldn't work, but definitely not a place for someone just getting started IMO.

Deerslayer22

Deerslayer22

Hey thanks for all the input and suggestions had a few more beans pop so I figure I know dirt do what I know first lol

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

You oughta get a couple 5 gallon buckets, some mesh pot lids, air stones and small air pumps. Try your hand at some bubble buckets, cheap easy way to get your feet wet.

Deerslayer22

Deerslayer22

Ya one of my buddy's grows that way it seemed to b pretty productive is that the same concept do u keep the water levels lower and sorta mist the clay balls or do you totally submerged it and the air keeps from getting root rot after a while the roots are in water anyways so what's really the difrence or is it the roots out of water are dry and that's what keeps them alive courious on that route too

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

I would always run water level high enough to where my roots from fresh cuttings were sitting in water. After roots come through good, I would lower my water level about even with the bottom of the net pot. Honestly the thing that cost me the most plants when I first started was all the snake oil products hydro stores tell you are key to dank. These days I would recommend starting with only your ro water and a base nutrient while you learn the ropes.

Deerslayer22

Deerslayer22

I will take a pic of the bottom of my nets the water level is below a few roots are thru not many though if I raise the level to the bottom of the net pots I don't want to drown. Them that's my problem does the air bubbles keep them
From root rot

Deerslayer22

Deerslayer22

Any time in dirt and when the plants are watered to much they didn't like it so I would assume when roots are in water constantly they wouldn't like it or does it not matter cause the air bubbles give them the rt circulation a ton of wonders there

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You'd think that if the roots were in water constantly that it would be the same result as wet soil. But, it's not. As long as the water column has sufficient DO levels (dissolved oxygen) and the crown isn't submerged, most do fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom