Need More Roots?

• Thread starter Junk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Junk

Junk

I have a very large Tangerine Dream Plant in DWC. (see grow diary)

I'm not sure what happened, but all of a sudden it's like it's not anchored anymore. Like the only thing holding the ENTIRE plant up, is the hydraton & balance. I can't even put a fan on it at the moment. It just blows the plant over (bucket stays in place).

This is my first FULL hydro run, & the first time I have had this problem. I can think of ways to micky mouse it (is that politically correct anymore?) to hold it up...

But I was more interested in how you guys prevent this, or if you have had this problem, how a more seasoned hydro grower would go about it.

I mean, I could put a tomato cage around it & secure that somehow & that would fix the problem, but I'm interested in what others use as solutions and/or preventative measures...

The plant is pretty much the majority of what you see on the right hand side. It's not a problem of the bucket tipping, it's the plant tipping in the bucket.

Need more roots

Power OG

Power OG

I agree but im not a hydro guy, bu if roots are healthy them stake,cage,yoyo ,trellis by any means necessary. But I'm sure one of the hydro pros will jump in, i know @Tnelz ha grown in hydro so maybe he'll chime in.
Respect

Junk

Junk

The way I see it, if your roots aren't being eaten up by bugs, then just hold the plant up with whatever it takes.

I can do that, but it doesn't seem like this should be a problem

I agree but im not a hydro guy, bu if roots are healthy them stake,cage,yoyo ,trellis by any means necessary. But I'm sure one of the hydro pros will jump in, i know @Tnelz ha grown in hydro so maybe he'll chime in.
Respect

I think he does flood & drain though, no?

What's weird is that other plants have giant roots, which have have grown themselves into the 10" net pot. They are "rooted" to the net pot. The one I'm having a problem with, there are so many roots but they are small & not holding the net pot, so the plant can just sway.

ken dog

ken dog

Oftentimes, different strains will fight with each other in the root zone... There are usually casualties, and oftentimes 1 plant won't develop the same robust root structure as the others.

Junk

Junk

Oftentimes, different strains will fight with each other in the root zone... There are usually casualties, and oftentimes 1 plant won't develop the same robust root structure as the others.

It's DWC, sorry, I meant to say that.

So there is only one plant in a bucket.

ken dog

ken dog

So the roots are completely isolated from each other?... The roots do not touch at all?... It looked to me like you had several net pots in 1 bucket.

If the roots are not touching each other, then scratch what I said. Lol.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Junk

Junk

So the roots are completely isolated from each other?... If they are, then scratch what I said. Lol

Yes. What it appears is that the plant is just too damn big (it's huge for inside)

ken dog

ken dog

Yes. What it appears is that the plant is just too damn big (it's huge for inside)

Yes... probably a good problem to have.:)
I would definitely prop it up and support it.

Tnelz

Tnelz

So for the record I've grown Dwc many times and have had many a successful run. The problem u r having isn't something I've ever run into. I'd do whatever I had to to keep her straight and standing up. Just do whatever it is u have to bro. U aren't going to hurt anything.

mauiinfinity

mauiinfinity

ok so heres what happened....
Your roots didnt develop as strong and big as they should have...
Let me explain this so it makes sense...
You take a clone and you put it in hydraton. At this point the only thing holding the clone up is the hydraton.
The roots grow into the hydraton and threw the net pot.
Once the roots grow threw the net pot they start to anchor the plant in. Some roots grow crazy and wrap themselves around and through the netpot creating a strong anchor...
Now occasionaly in your case the roots will grow straight down into the water. If the plant gets to heavy on one side or gets bumped the plant can tip over pulling the roots from the one side up. once this happens it isimpossible to get it to stand on its own.... So like alot of people said above you need to prop it up and secure it... It will eventually anchor itself back down.. hope this helps

Junk

Junk

Thank you all! This has been my first hydro hiccup so I wasn't sure what to do about it.

You think in the future smaller net pots would help? I have a feeling the 10" for the size of plants I'm going is part of the problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom