need some advice on black and burnt dry tips

• Thread starter montgomery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

montgomery

i am having some issues with my plants . on one plant the white hairs per say are brown like there dried out . andi keep having black curled down leaf tips. no matter how many times i cut dead stuff off. every day when i check on plants more black tips. i also just hada bad case or leaf curling down and in . on all leaves. i believe it was a ph problem that i dont have fixed. i use aquarium water . because its ph was natualy right on. but i did a major tank clean before watering . seen leaves checked ph of fish tank. and it was out of wack . way high. but the dead leaves and black and brown issue . can i fix it . useing aquarium water and small ammounts of mircal grow. i know its not the way to go. but i'm laid off and broke. and this is my first try. didnt want to ruin expensive stuff. lol and i'm this friday will be 5 weeks since i turnedon 12/12 lighting . but i'm only 23 days since preflower. so just under 4 weeks flowering long way to go . i just had to trim a lot off them also every where a bud has started to grow. instead of the bud getting bigger. its kinda growing there own branch with more nodes . which those are showing hairs. but will the plant ever just stop getting bigger and just grow bigger buds. i'm sure right nutes play a part. and ill just have to break down and spend the extra money and do it right . might as well let them finish now. any tips or advice would be great

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
look at this

see if your problem is in here

good luck :harvest:

M

montgomery

didnt see my issue there

ill try to post some pictures later tonight. but i didnt see anything like my plants tips . thank you though.

S

smokestack23

Aquarium water?? No offense but when I read this post last night I thought it was a joke.

Why not use REAL water with the MG? When you get $20 or $30 bucks saved-up hit the growshop and get some proper base nutrients.

In the meantime, MG is far from optimal for your mj plants but it will grow relatively healthy plants. With normal water that is.

Is using aquarium water common practice? Doesn't seem to make any sense. Maybe in organic soil I suppose but I'm a hydro guy and I wouldn't ever put anything like that in my reservoir. you don't know what's in there. Fish slime? uncomposted fish poop and piss? ALGAE? Fish food? stabilizers???Some of those? All of those? ...no thanks.

If aquarium water is a good thing, someone please tell me. I'll put goldfish in my RDWC systems.

PEACE.

hiboy

hiboy

How high is your ppm. Sounds like you are frying them girls
h

M

montgomery

aquarium water

its the same thinga s aquaponics in a way. fish poop is great for plants. pot plant not for sure. the you seemed offend by what i use. dont see why . but i worked for a pond company for a while . and when we would drain them i would put the black and green muck into puckets. used it on vegetable garden with amazing results . for several years. fish poop worm poop. all good for plaants in general. but with that said . if it upsets you that much . you might need to roll another or somthing . this is my first grow . i'm laid off at the moment . and i'm just experamenting . so that i can get a feel for the life cycle of the plant. not asking you to agree or dissagree. just be respectful. i'm doing the best i can with what i can afford and got. it always amazes me the pepoepl who get so worked up . next i'll get riduculed for bad spelling and grammer. yes i cant spell very well either. do you want to hunt me down now .lmao

M

montgomery

one last thing

the pictures i have shown on here . a few said looked really well. considering what i was working with. i dont care if i harvest one gram or 50 on this go at growing . your more then welcom to look at my pictures. nothing major or amazing. but my organic natuarly nutrient rich fish water. has done me proud in ever plant i've grown so far. i messed my water up cleaning it to much. it will fix it self . i have faith . i should have even posted anything . kinda grown to lose interest in here now . thanks buddy. kinda spoiled my interest. you all have a good day . thank you

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Montgomery, if you don't learn to spell and PUNCTUATE, I will kick your ass! :giggle

I kid. But am curious about what you're actually applying. That pond gunk has a strong chance of being anaerobic and I would only use that in large scale, i.e. in-ground, outdoor, growing situations. Also, you might want to take some care if using it on edible plants because many parasites have a lifecycle that includes stages that require aquatic animals to complete, just seems more prudent to ensure those have no chance. The water itself is what I would use.

In fact, I've been having fish on my mind yet again. If I get an aquarium it's gonna get bad again, I can't do it. Nothing more than goldfish, mosquito fish, maybe some guppies for me, otherwise, there's no telling what could go down!
Aquarium water?? No offense but when I read this post last night I thought it was a joke.
Shouldn't be. Quite the opposite. Time for me to help you get your learn on! :makeup
Why not use REAL water with the MG? When you get $20 or $30 bucks saved-up hit the growshop and get some proper base nutrients.

In the meantime, MG is far from optimal for your mj plants but it will grow relatively healthy plants. With normal water that is.
I personally would drop the MG in favor of the aquarium water.
Is using aquarium water common practice? Doesn't seem to make any sense. Maybe in organic soil I suppose but I'm a hydro guy and I wouldn't ever put anything like that in my reservoir. you don't know what's in there. Fish slime? uncomposted fish poop and piss? ALGAE? Fish food? stabilizers???Some of those? All of those? ...no thanks.

If aquarium water is a good thing, someone please tell me. I'll put goldfish in my RDWC systems.

PEACE.
You haven't ever heard of aquaponics?

There are some things to know about aquarium water and why it's good for Mary. First, it has to do with all that fish waste, which ends up in a final form of NO3 (that's nitrate for y'all, which is an oxidized form of nitrogen). That NO3 form just happens to be the preferred form on N for almost all ANNUAL plants. What is Mary? Why, she's an annual plant!

The fish poop, urine, slime, etcetera, would be killing the fish if it weren't "composted", which isn't quite what's occurring in a healthy aquarium. What's happening is something called 'nitrification'. The fish make urine, NH3/4 (there are a couple of forms of ammonia possible), that is next oxidized, but is still toxic, into NO2 (nitrite). That is further oxidized into NO3. In order for NO3 to become atmospheric nitrogen there needs to be an area of extremely low water flow that allows anaerobic conditions, and this is where most fishkeepers stop (and should stop). That means that water changes are necessary and guess where that water should go.

Now, goldfish happen to be a rather "dirty" fish, in that they need rather high O2 saturation, make quite a lot of slime and, due to their high activity rates (assuming pond comets/feeders here and NOT fancies!) also make quite a lot of waste. This can be good or bad, depending on water volume, filtration and husbandry practices.

Believe it or not, aquarium water for plants, which are living things, is the optimal/ideal type of water to use because it's already had and got living things in it. Algae won't continue to live simply because it's been watered into someone's pots, though it could certainly live in a reservoir. I personally would be far more concerned with cyanobacteria, which is very commonly confused as an algae.

You want to know about aquariums, aquarium water and how they and it can be used? I'm your gal. :makeup

Want to know how to get off the Miracle Grow for free? Look up how to use urine as fertilizer. I don't know about you, but I pee every day.

S

smokestack23

You're already my gal sm :)

Montgomery..sorry if my post seemed rude or if I sounded like a prick. I honestly thought, when I first read the op that it could be a joke. Sometimes you see growers do that here.

I have no experience with fish or aquariums. I used Alaska Fish Fertilizer for a minute about 20 or 30 years ago but didn't stick with the stinky stuff.
I haven't recently looked at any fish derived nutrients vs aquarium water. The "fish fertilizer" is probably made from a cannery's "reduction" plant..made from old rotten dead fish...not from fish excrement.

Nutrients can get expensive but aren't pricey for me. I don't use an or expensive additives and I find recognized commercial nutrients fairly inexpensive. ESPECIALLY when you consider the results. I get a lot of bang for my buck.

Let's see...I use Holland Secret base nutes (very similar to GH but even cheaper) and my cost to feed 6 plants through a flower cycle (that'll produce well over a # each) is about...ummmm...$60. These are big hungry trees. OOPS..forgot about the CalMag...better make it $70.
For a few small plants in soil or soiless I'm sure the 3-1L bottles of 3-part base nutes would last more than one flower cycle. That would be like 30 bucks.

But...for $70 and to get like 10lbs...well...I call that cheap. Even if it was double or triple that much, I can't even buy ONE lb for $210.00.

Man...I'd need a pretty big aquarium and a LOT of fish to feed my plants. I'd have to drink a LOT of beer (well coffee..I don't drink) to make that much pee too. My pee is high in ammonia/nitrogen but I have no idea how much P and K and Cal and Mag and S.....I don't know how much bodily fluids I can spare to make up that other stuff. I'm a skinny guy and I pass out when I get a blood test so that's a no-go for me.

I'm not trying to say anyone is stupid for using aquarium water (anymore lol). I'm saying that for me...who is growing nice big plants that seem to be getting everything they need and are producing like madmen..I mean madwomen...I wouldn't start experimenting with aquarium water..or bathwater..or pee.
My other big problem is that I'm a non-organic hydro farmer. I don't think in organic ways. If you ask me, a plant can't use ANYTHING organic. They can only use elemental nutes so I skip the middleman. Not saying this is best...just the way I do it. I do understand though that fish piss is a source of elemental N as you say. But shit man...elemental N is CHEAP as piss (no pun intended)..actually...maybe even cheaper?.

Of course...if I was growing outdoors organically..well..outdoors in dirt at least (I think I'd still be adding SOMETHING out of a bottle..that's just me though again) I'd probably be peeing and pooping and blowing my nose in there...nah...I'd probably make compost and add aquarium water to that.

Fish pee and fish poop might be as good as worm poop but when you buy EWC it's just the poop...not poop and a bunch of the stuff the worms were living in. At least that's what it says on my bag of EWC. Yes..I said I don't use organic. I have the EWC just in case I have to use it to make a tea with Great White to cure brown algae. Haven't so far though.

SO...ok...I've been taught something. Using aquarium water might not be ridiculous. For me personally though, it doesn't seem that cost effective when you can buy complete nute regimens for a few cents or dollars.

PISS...oops...I mean PEACE!

M

montgomery

thank you seamaiden

thank you for helping a man out . lol and man never meet a woman who knows fish talk before. i think you might be my type of gal too. is it odd fish talk from a woman is hot. lmao prolly. but thank you everyone . and i do feel better about useingmy aquarium water now. i never had doubts. but i'm even more comfortable now. what size tanks do you or did you have. right now i have a 150 gallon freshwater setup. with exotic plecos . gold nuggets, adonis, royal and a bristlenose . and a couple other cheapies from the pet store

M

montgomery

funny

hey seamaiden . i clicked on your galleries . i was interestes in your plant pictures. but all i seen was hvac stuff. did you go to school for that . around here dont here to many women getting in the field. its funny though . i'm also a hvac student. i am universaly certified . just could never find work. just thought i would ask if you took hvac. fish and hvac . i'm getting worried lmao

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Montgomery, I only loaded that stuff into the galleries for an HVAC guy to see and advise me about last year. I rarely upload pix of my grows here because I don't have the right to edit them in perpetuity, only for the first 24 hours.

I do happen to enjoy many male-dominated activities and interests. Fish are (were) but one of them, I had to get a job in the aquatic ornamental import/export trade to pay for my reefkeeping habit, and after a work injury helped edit a very good book on reefkeeping. I also ride a motorcycle and enjoy discussing politics and cheaper alternative methods of fertilization.

But no HVAC training for me.

M

montgomery

wow

wow . nice to hear a woman into those things. lol man i dont even need to see a picture i think i'm in love . lol. just kidding i'm not a creep. you do seem like a cool chick though . thank you for all your info and help. you had my back. and for that i owe you . yeah after i posted my pictures. i thought it prolly wasnt best idea. doubt ill post anymore. maybe when there completly done. but i'm exactly 4 weeks from seeing sex. almost and this friday will be 6 weeks of 12/12/ and i tell you what . i'm runnign out of patients. been waiting on these things to look there best. and i seem to be having some issues . they dont look very good at all to me . as time goes by . i'm more an more disapointed. oh well first grow. i'll invest in a couple thousand dollars worth of growing shit . then i'll be pist when i screw up . at least ill havea reason to be frustrated then. now i dont have nothing but time in mine.

Top Bottom