Need some advice with pruning

• Thread starter ThatRapperWeed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

I'm having a hard time finding some straightforward answers with pruning. I've got some plants that are 5-6" tall and am planning on topping them when they get bigger. They have some older lower leaves that I'd like to trim on a couple due to some bad growth. Am I safe to take them off? They're the first true leaves and they're now below 2 other sets of leaves. Any other advice for pruning? What's the goal when pruning around preflower bud sites on the plant? I'm going into week 3 of veg and don't want to do too much too early.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I'm having a hard time finding some straightforward answers with pruning. I've got some plants that are 5-6" tall and am planning on topping them when they get bigger. They have some older lower leaves that I'd like to trim on a couple due to some bad growth. Am I safe to take them off? They're the first true leaves and they're now below 2 other sets of leaves. Any other advice for pruning? What's the goal when pruning around preflower bud sites on the plant? I'm going into week 3 of veg and don't want to do too much too early.

topping involve High stress training techniques, one cuts off the middle off the shoot where then 2 new tops will grow.
Lower stress training involve fimming, meaning pinching off the growth but leaving the shoot , which will force a second shoot as it grows out. Both are about the same and will require 2-3 additional weeks of veg.
Pruning , meaning taking off lower shoots that may not produce out.
Other techniques involve tying the plant down and allowing all stems to grow out and upward. This is called mainlining.
Pls post pics of your pony so we can help ya better.

Last edited:
PK_Blunt420

PK_Blunt420

If your plants only 5-6 inches tall you'd get no benefits from pruning anything its best to wait until flower to prune anything unless you plan on forcing them to grow the way you want and even then you wouldn't take off much the odd leaf just so light can get to what part of the plant you'd like to see grow.

Madmax

Madmax

Sure if they are damaged..its best to remove bad unhealthy leaves..they can attract unwanted pests.but before you do can you throw a pic up...

Good to see your around @Jack og

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

šŸ¦
Supporter
Depending on the shape of your plant, you may want to trim off the lower leaves.
I veg in only blue light so my internodes are tiny. This means the lower leaves don't get any light so I cut them off.
Unless it's as extreme as my case, I don't suggest doing much. At that stage, the plant needs as much photosynthesis as it can get so that it can take off so cutting off leaves will just slow down growth. Later on, you may want to cut off the leaves that either aren't getting any light or are significantly covering other leaves.

Just a tip for if/when you do trim off leaves:
Don't cut the leaf off right at the stalk, make sure to leave a bit of stem on there. This is so that if your scissors have a disease on them, it will die before it makes it to the rest of the plant.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

topping involve High stress training techniques, one cuts off the middle off the shoot where then 2 new tops will grow.
Lower stress training involve fimming, meaning pinching off the growth but leaving the shoot , which will force a second shoot as it grows out. Both are about the same and will require 2-3 additional weeks of veg.
Pruning , meaning taking off lower shoots that may not produce out.
Other techniques involve tying the plant down and allowing all stems to grow out and upward. This is called mainlining.
Pls post pics of your pony so we can help ya better.
Thanks! I'll post some pics tonight so hopefully you can give me some personalized advice.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Sure if they are damaged..its best to remove bad unhealthy leaves..they can attract unwanted pests.but before you do can you throw a pic up...

Good to see your around @Jack og
Yea had to take some time off due to health issues plus lost my phone so getting all that sorted out took a min! Glad to be back

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Thanks everyone for all the help. I took off the first leaves at the very bottom (not the cotelydon but the ones above), they weren't getting any light and my internodes are pretty small since I'm using blurples for now. I also removed two fan leaves that didn't look healthy (they were lowest fan leaves on the plant). I cut with a clean sharp blade and disinfected. Do I leave the little bud sites on the plant near where I cut? I dont know if those are preflowers but I left them on.
20210103 003456
20210103 003505
20210103 003527
20210103 003623
20210103 003841

20210103 003611
Madmax

Madmax

I actually use my thumb bro to push down on the top of petitole where it joins onto the stem.it snaps off perfectly same way they do when they drop the leaves towards the end of the plants life..

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Got some lower leaves (3 finger fan leaves) on the bottom of the plants that are looking droopy. Should I leave them for now? I've heard some people don't like pruning during veg. I over watered a bit, I've been watering on day 6 when I should have maybe waited to day 7 since last watering. I'm growing in happy frog with 20% perlite added. Started from seeds.
20210104 211159
20210104 211150
20210104 211136
20210104 211130
20210104 211120

Latest posts

Top Bottom