Need some help on Privacy Fencing/Concealment

• Thread starter Dillyweed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dillyweed

Dillyweed

I'm new to outdoor growing and have a few concerns with my "potential" setup for privacy I have in mind. I'm in need of setting up some kind of concealment from wandering eyes, deer, and rabbits. Could I use 8' tall 80%-90% Shadecloth/Mesh Netting as my perimeter? The top of my area will be completely open, so should I even be concerned about my plants not getting enough light with using said Shadecloth/Netting as side walls? Does anyone have a similar setup they could post? I've tried doing my research on this with little information regarding this topic, any help is much appreciated!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I’ll take a stab at it. I use welded wire fencing, and t posts. 2“ x 4“ holes. It doesn’t block the sun and keeps most critters out. Kind of pricey but you can use it year after year. Imo 6 feet should be high enough. A lot of unknown variables, the exposure, the size of the garden, etc. can be used with bamboo for bending and training. I don’t like to use anything that will block out any of the sunlight that’s available to you. It’s too precious. But I don’t really know your situation. Wondering human eyes Or something you’ll have to figure out. I do know that if you go with t-post get a t- post driver. Trying to pound them in with a sledgehammer standing on a ladder is a good way to wind up in the hospital! I suppose it’s all about trade-offs. Trading five hours of direct sunlight for concealment is not an acceptable trade off to me. Just my two cents worth.

Dillyweed

Dillyweed

My plants are all Sativa based, so I'm just worried about them trying to grow outrageously tall, even with utilizing LST haha. Funny you mention the T-posts, that's actually what I have in mind of using, I also have the driver with it too! I learned my lesson awhile ago installing them T-posts on a ladder, NOT FUN!! Sunlight is literally my only concern when it comes to using that Shadecloth, I was suggested another idea of using 7Mill greenhouse plastic, doubling it up, that way you cant see through it and the sunlight will still penetrate through the plastic. That would be a viable option too no?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Might be an option. But you are still filtering sunlight, whether it be shade cloth, plastic, Or even branches on trees. And you are probably impeding air circulation with solid fencing which might become a problem. What works in hot, dry, merciless sun nor cal May not work so well in cloudy, humid Indiana. Have to make adjustments for the environment as you well know. I just like the welded wire because it stands up on its own pretty much with a couple of anchor points and can support whatever you want to hang off of it. And in a month or two you’re going to be able to smell the stuff two or 300 feet away so it won’t take any genius to figure out what’s going on behind the cover. There are some old videos on YouTube called, weed schooling that deals with training and bending outdoors you might want to check out.Just try to get them as much sunlight and air circulation as possible. Right on!

Dillyweed

Dillyweed

Right on, I'll check it out and see if something comes to mind. I might just go and opt for natural concealment, I have a bunch of tomato plants that grow pretty good size I could use for cover, amongst some other plants I'll be adding in for insect control.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I work with a girl who swears by hanging red Christmas ornaments that look as much like tomatoes as possible. Says to the untrained eye and from a distance it’s hard to tell them from tomatoes. I’ve learned not to automatically discount any harebrained scheme’s when it comes to growing this stuff. Natural cover sounds good if you can get away with it. Is it illegal where you’re at?

Dillyweed

Dillyweed

That's a pretty good idea actually, I'll probably end up doing that! Yes it's legal, here in the big mitten. Outside grows are supposed to be in an enclosed/fenced in area and your access point must have a lock on it. I'm in a fairly remote area other than the occasional person coming over every now and then to drop side job parts off. Yeah I'm going to pursue the natural route, I like the idea of hidden in plain sight, it will probably look a little less suspicious than a bunch of new/random fencing going up. I'll just blend it in so it looks like a normal plain garden ;)

NorCalGal

NorCalGal

That's a pretty good idea actually, I'll probably end up doing that! Yes it's legal, here in the big mitten. Outside grows are supposed to be in an enclosed/fenced in area and your access point must have a lock on it. I'm in a fairly remote area other than the occasional person coming over every now and then to drop side job parts off. Yeah I'm going to pursue the natural route, I like the idea of hidden in plain sight, it will probably look a little less suspicious than a bunch of new/random fencing going up. I'll just blend it in so it looks like a normal plain garden ;)
I'd be more concerned about the smell. Disguising them as tomatoes might make it look like a plain garden, but it's not going to smell like one.

rayi

rayi

In michigan it not only has to be locked and out of sight but have a cover on it. Government employees in michigan have never grown anything in their life. I used chicken wire. What a pain.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Your sativas are going to want to grow around 10-15 feet.
I've yet to see a tomato plant that tall. But 98% of people really don't know what they are looking at anyway, so some Christmas ornaments just might do the trick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom