Need some help. What am I doing wrong

• Thread starter Nycgreenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nycgreenman

Nycgreenman

I’ve started my first grow and I choose to start with my favorite sour diesel and one I’ve never tried but always wanted to fire og. The sour d is moving right along but the fire og is failing miserably. Maybe one of you experienced growers can help me figure out my issue. I’m using GH flora series, my PH is at 5.8 I also added some cal mag..I’m using distilled water. My RH stays between 47% and 52% and my temp ranges from 75 (lights off) and 80-82 (lights on) I’m using fluorescent lights at about 4-6” above the plants.I am about 2 weeks in since sprout. I’ve included some pics any help is greatly appreciated.

Need some help what am i doing wrong
Need some help what am i doing wrong 2
Need some help what am i doing wrong 3
Need some help what am i doing wrong 4
TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

No fertilizer needed for the first three weeks or until the first round leaves die. Don't pH down distilled water.
Giving fertilizer to seedlings is like giving a bottle of soda to a newborn.

Nycgreenman

Nycgreenman

No fertilizer needed for the first three weeks or until the first round leaves die. Don't pH down distilled water.
Agreed! I only gave it what the bottle called for...and I even gave it less..the bottle called for .5 tsp per gallon of water...my reservoir had 5 gallons which would call for 2.5 tsp I only added 1.5 tsp. Also I figured it was getting over fed so I stopped giving it water for about 3 days and didn’t seem to change anything. However my other plant Sour D is doing great. Both have been getting the same feed and in the same tent and sprouted at the same time. Here’s a pic of the sour.

383352B5 4F5F 478F A798 B5DFD5321FBD
Nycgreenman

Nycgreenman

Just noticed you said don’t PH down distilled water...the distilled water I got had a PH of 7...I was told when using hydro in Rockwool 5.8 is what I should be using.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Distilled water is pure water and doesn't need to be pH adjusted, same with RO water.
One drop of pH up or down in distilled water will make the pH on a pen jump whole points and it isn't accurate. I was told that RO and distilled water pH adjusted to the soil or media ph as soon as it touches it.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

The only time you don't pH adjust distilled water is if you are giving the plant plain water. If you add fertilizer to the water, it needs to be pH adjusted for hydroponics. Only pH adjust the nutrient solution after all the nutrients have been mixed in the water.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The truth about PH. Some nutrients are designed to work with RO/distilled water and carry some alkalinity. I dont know if flora series does or not but with RO cal mag should be added. You want a ph drift of 0.1-0.2ish over 24 hrs. If it's more you will benefit from a buffer. If you read this it should explain why you ph after adding nutrients. The only time you ph before or during is if you are mixing nutrients that result in a ph over around 8 nutrients using cheap chelates can be lower but it's not that common to see anymore. RO has no alkalinity and is very unstable so much so you cannot even trust the ph reading you get on your pen and as was said it doesn't matter the ph of RO because it's so easily influenced by anything added to it.

Nycgreenman

Nycgreenman

Distilled water is pure water and doesn't need to be pH adjusted, same with RO water.
One drop of pH up or down in distilled water will make the pH on a pen jump whole points and it isn't accurate. I was told that RO and distilled water pH adjusted to the soil or media ph as soon as it touches it.
The truth about PH. Some nutrients are designed to work with RO/distilled water and carry some alkalinity. I dont know if flora series does or not but with RO cal mag should be added. You want a ph drift of 0.1-0.2ish over 24 hrs. If it's more you will benefit from a buffer. If you read this it should explain why you ph after adding nutrients. The only time you ph before or during is if you are mixing nutrients that result in a ph over around 8 nutrients using cheap chelates can be lower but it's not that common to see anymore. RO has no alkalinity and is very unstable so much so you cannot even trust the ph reading you get on your pen and as was said it doesn't matter the ph of RO because it's so easily influenced by anything added to it.

Thank you guys for the help.

Nycgreenman

Nycgreenman

Hey guys hope everyone is doing well and having a great grow..here’s a little follow up.I went away for vacation for a week and boy was I nervous. I made a new batch of nutes for my reservoir and made sure my humidifier had a full tank of fresh water. And I came back to some dead leaves on my sour d as well as some nice growth. Also noticed some slight yellowing and browsing on the tips and the tips are curled down...I raised my lights as clearly she grew and got to close to the light...I’m hoping it’s that...I checked my pH it was at 6.2...not too high but I usually keep it at 5.8..not sure if that change in ph caused the tips to yellow and curl down. Here’s some pics before and after me being away for a week.
3A72CA87 B02F 46D6 854A AFB9DC384878

B4FD4B10 EEBD 4E0D BB10 EA32E01A1BBE

And now after
513771CF 7B7F 4339 AD71 00E1C1D6AA38

2E4EC178 F92E 4A63 9157 8732D34B868C

I used a tooth pick to hold it up for some reason it’s growing sideways

6463C6A1 A0C3 4DBF A1D8 C659DB5A253B

9B4760F1 4732 4F08 99E0 B31F2D2E16D7

068DD4AD DA1D 4E22 9214 F7D38532FF00

998030AA 57AE 41C6 8330 D606E5C35EED

After I cut the yellow and dead leaves off

6C73F90B 4A7C 4C16 AB57 C14DAF54A42B

AF9E822E 8FCA 4F96 A0CE 79B169A9E79C

Let me know your thoughts.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey guys hope everyone is doing well and having a great grow..here’s a little follow up.I went away for vacation for a week and boy was I nervous. I made a new batch of nutes for my reservoir and made sure my humidifier had a full tank of fresh water. And I came back to some dead leaves on my sour d as well as some nice growth. Also noticed some slight yellowing and browsing on the tips and the tips are curled down...I raised my lights as clearly she grew and got to close to the light...I’m hoping it’s that...I checked my pH it was at 6.2...not too high but I usually keep it at 5.8..not sure if that change in ph caused the tips to yellow and curl down. Here’s some pics before and after me being away for a week.View attachment 1136715
View attachment 1136716

And now after
View attachment 1136717

View attachment 1136718
I used a tooth pick to hold it up for some reason it’s growing sideways

View attachment 1136719

View attachment 1136720

View attachment 1136721

View attachment 1136722

After I cut the yellow and dead leaves off

View attachment 1136723

View attachment 1136724