Need Some Help With Modding An Old Led Light.

• Thread starter MidwestToker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I was given a light with the 4 Cree XML chips not working, Driver is fried. No spec tag on the Driver, I had to pull the casing off to get the pcb number from it for cross referencing. Cheap chinese well-lit driver.
I'm replacing the 4 10 watt XML chips with the XML2's. And ordered a HLG-40H-12B to drive the XLM2's. Will this driver work for those chips?

One of the problem is that the old dimmer is a 4 wire control to the driver not the standard pots used nowadays for the dimming circuit. So I take it that by the way it's setup that the dimmer controls both current and voltage. Would this be correct? If so does anyone know of a modern driver that has this available?

DGP

DGP

I like the Mean Well drivers, very efficient and dimmible with a simple 100k potentiometer.

They are available from many sources, I buy them from cobkits.com.

Dee

Toaster79

Toaster79

Ditch the old dimmer and wire a 100k pot for dimming. Thats why you are getting the B version of the driver.

Got any pics of the internals? Where the leds meet the heatsink and wiring? What are those leds mounted to?

Last edited:
MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I like the Mean Well drivers, very efficient and dimmible with a simple 100k potentiometer.

They are available from many sources, I buy them from cobkits.com.

Dee
Thanks.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Ditch the old simmer and wire a 100k pot for dimming. Thats why you are getting the B version of the driver.

Got any pics of the internals? Where the leds meet the heatsink and wiring? What are those leds mounted to?
It's an old Diamond DS XML 150 light that was given to me with the driver for the 4 XML chips fried, Chips look OK but we will see when a new driver arrives.
DSCN0812
DSCN0813

sixstring

sixstring

Toaster is your guy for this shizzle :)
But I will say for the dimming pot,spend the extra couple bucks and get the cased potentiometer from rapidled.its got a board built into it to make sure it's at a true 100k ohms so you get full use of the drivers power.plus it has wires already installed so super easy to work with.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

What type of star? If you're planning to run them at 3.3A you're gonna need a sinkpad or a noctigon.
The originals XML's are mounted on heatsinks. (See PICs). I believe I ordered 16 mm stars. If it ran the XLM's it should work for the XML2's right? The XLM2's are rated at max 3000ma, but I'll be trying to find the balance of efficiency and use the internal pots to set the mA's. I really have no need for dimming.

Toaster79

Toaster79

The originals XML's are mounted on heatsinks. (See PICs). I believe I ordered 16 mm stars. If it ran the XLM's it should work for the XML2's right? The XLM2's are rated at max 3000ma, but I'll be trying to find the balance of efficiency and use the internal pots to set the mA's. I really have no need for dimming.

And those old ones were driven at full throttle? You do realise that HLG-40H-12B has no potentiometers and is a constant voltage driver. You can only adjust output current through external pot, 0-10V DC or PWM?

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

And those old ones were driven at full throttle? You do realise that HLG-40H-12B has no potentiometers and is a constant voltage driver. You can only adjust output current through external pot, 0-10V DC or PWM?
Spec says it's adjustable from 2000 to 3.3 mA with internal pot. I don't know I'm just a rookie when it comes to led's.

sixstring

sixstring

Spec says it's adjustable from 2000 to 3.3 mA with internal pot. I don't know I'm just a rookie when it comes to led's.
yeah thats not the driver you said you were getting first.the A version does have internals,but dont plan on moving them alot or be very very careful.the tiny ass screws inside are plastic and easy to strip

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

From my suspicion I would say yes and no to the old one being drive full all the time, hence the 4 wire dimmer circuit in original set-up. My thoughts were it controlled both V and mA. Just never seen a 4 wire dimming function on any drivers I looked for.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

So confusing sometimes! Looks like I'll have to cap the output amps somehow now. I have a couple of 30V pots in various k's from 200 to 500

Latest posts

Top Bottom