Need some help with new AC

• Thread starter HouseOfWojo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HouseOfWojo

HouseOfWojo

Hey All,
I have never run AC in a growroom before but am wanting to grow just about year round now and due to that, have the need for one now. I am planning however on only keeping this room up for another year or two and then we will be moving so I decided on a cheaper option and save money for the next room. Ok, so here are the specs;

Room is 5'6" wide and 15' long. Just 82 sq ft. On one end of the length is a small window just large enough that if I remove the window completely the AC fits perfect into the frame. Will be running 12/12, 4 X 1000w HPS overhead bulbs in sealed reflectors.
The AC is a 6000 Btu window unit that drains out the back and is able to cool air down to 60 deg. The buying guide says it is rated for up to 260 sq ft but I knew with lights etc I would need it for the smaller room.

So, now I have the AC setup in the window, I have a questions about how to design the ventilation.

I used to chain the four reflectors together in a line with ducting, pulling the air through them and then venting the hot air into the house heating system. At the end of this line is a carbon filter sucking in and cleaning air before it goes through the lights. Should I still be doing this or should I only vent at dark hours when the AC is not running? If I only vent at night should I setup the filter on the floor to just clean air and shoot it right back into the room?

Ya, don't really know how to best use this thing and don't know if I should keep the rest of the setup the same, any advice is appreciated!

J

Jalisco Kid

you need to read more in the a/c section. That a/c is good for 1 light for me in a sealed room. I would ... just read some more. JK

SunGrown

SunGrown

instead of hooking the duct to the carbon scrubber, cut another hole in your wall(or floor) and have the air coming from outside the room and thru the lights that then exits the room thru another hole in the wall(or floor).

Even aircooled, and ducting modified like I said, 4 thouies will very likely want more than 6kbtu.

HouseOfWojo

HouseOfWojo

you need to read more in the a/c section. That a/c is good for 1 light for me in a sealed room. I would ... just read some more. JK
JK, I know full well this is a crutch for the room, not a fix. Like I said before though, not spending any money on further improvements to this room as I will rip it down soon. As for my next room rest assured I wouldn't even be messing around with a wall unit in the first place! (but I kinda knew I would get a go read the AC section answer)
instead of hooking the duct to the carbon scrubber, cut another hole in your wall(or floor) and have the air coming from outside the room and thru the lights that then exits the room thru another hole in the wall(or floor).

Even aircooled, and ducting modified like I said, 4 thouies will very likely want more than 6kbtu.
SG, I will for sure try running the air from the outside room into the lights instead of the scrubber, should help air flow and temp.

I know guys, I am killing you not just getting the right equip right now, killing me a little too, but I appreciate any advice to help the current situation.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

What are the temps like where your at?JK is right bro 6k will cool 1-1 1/2 of those lights tops,the rule is 4k vented 6k unvented thouie.Sun is also right in that if your going to run all 4 lights you need to bring in alot of air from somewhere,maybe the answer is to just run 1 or 2 lights for now and when it begins to cool off you can use it to your advantage and hook up the other lights?

way2green

way2green

I hope u r running those lughts at night. Yhst 6k ac will maybe helpv2 hps lghts in the day but willnonot cool that room in daylight hours unlessu live way up North.

HouseOfWojo

HouseOfWojo

Ya, not up and running yet, just getting ready for fall, winter, and spring. So by the time temps start to cool outside I think it should work for me. Already switched the vent setup and am pulling in cold air from outside the room for the lights. Yes I do run nighttime cycles so I do not have to compete with day temps. Only about 6000 ft above sea level here so not crazy high, but the nights are already cooling! Thanks for the continued input guys, I will be running some tests soon and let you guys know how it turns out.

Top Bottom