Need some humidity advice please!

• Thread starter iGemini365
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

iGemini365

Hello all! This is my first grow ever and I’m growing indoors. I am struggling with keeping humidity at the optimal level for my young seedling which is 6 days old. She’s already sprouted out of the soil and appears to be doing well so far. The average temp is between 70-75 which I have no problems with. However the humidity levels range anywhere from 55-80+.. I have an oscillating fan on the inside with a very small humidifier. I’m also using another fan on the outside of my grow tent to help promote better airflow. Can I get by with an average humidity level between 60-70%? I’d really appreciate a response because I’m over here stressing myself out and keep checking my little buddy about every 30 mins to an hr. I purchased a bigger humidifier with a humidistat but the humidity levels kept rising and dropping drastically. I have found that the little desk humidifier I purchased keeps the eh at somewhat of a more stable range. I’m going to eventually get an in-line fan but don’t have the funds to purchase the one I want.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hello all! This is my first grow ever and I’m growing indoors. I am struggling with keeping humidity at the optimal level for my young seedling which is 6 days old. She’s already sprouted out of the soil and appears to be doing well so far. The average temp is between 70-75 which I have no problems with. However the humidity levels range anywhere from 55-80+.. I have an oscillating fan on the inside with a very small humidifier. I’m also using another fan on the outside of my grow tent to help promote better airflow. Can I get by with an average humidity level between 60-70%? I’d really appreciate a response because I’m over here stressing myself out and keep checking my little buddy about every 30 mins to an hr. I purchased a bigger humidifier with a humidistat but the humidity levels kept rising and dropping drastically. I have found that the little desk humidifier I purchased keeps the eh at somewhat of a more stable range. I’m going to eventually get an in-line fan but don’t have the funds to purchase the one I want.
It sounds like you dont have an exhaust fan…. If not you will absolutely need one and id suggest a cloudline since they have controllers built in gor temp and humidity

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

But the seedling or a clone in a tray with a dome over it to build high humidity. No sense in getting your humidity up that high in a tent when it just leaves the tent.

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

I've been looking at humidifiers lately and recently purchased one. Most of the desktop models like you mentioned have no humidistat setting capabilities. They're in "on" or "off" mode basically. If you want more control over the RH, then invest in a humidifier that is controlled by an adjustable humidistat.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've been looking at humidifiers lately and recently purchased one. Most of the desktop models like you mentioned have no humidistat setting capabilities. They're in "on" or "off" mode basically. If you want more control over the RH, then invest in a humidifier that is controlled by an adjustable humidistat.
They generally come with a very poor humistat and you cannot place the probe where you like. A $40 inkbird controller is a far better option

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

They generally come with a very poor humistat and you cannot place the probe where you like. A $40 inkbird controller is a far better option
Either way, you're getting your data from one spot in the room, regardless if it's a probe, humidifier, or the Accurite RH/temp instrument I have on top of my hueys. A few responses from respected members here say that RH and temp can vary from spot-to-spot in the room so there's no difference here in my eyes, if you're saying that putting the probe in the center of your grow gives you better data than maybe. If you have good air movement in a room it seems like that would be less of a factor to me. If I'm wrong, I welcome the knowledge. I have achieved a very stable RH environment with my humidifier and dehumidifier by finding the right setting for my situation. I'm not relying on the Huey's for my readings but rather an Accurite device that is designed for measuring RH and temp only.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Either way, you're getting your data from one spot in the room, regardless if it's a probe or humidifier. A few responses from respected members here say that RH and temp can vary from spot-to-spot in the room so there's no difference here in my eyes, if you're saying that putting the probe in the center of your grow gives you better data than maybe. If you have good air movement in a room it seems like that would be less of a factor to me. If I'm wrong, I welcome the knowledge. I have achieved a very stable RH environment with my humidifier and dehumidifier by finding the right setting for my situation. I'm not relying on the Huey's for my readings but rather an Accurite device that is designed for measuring RH and temp only.
Well yes the probe placement matters but moreso the deadband on the setpoint… no different than a duhumidifier. Anyone who has run both will tell you its not nearly the same amount of control or accuracy

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

Go buy a 2 liter soda in a clear bottle. Cut the bottom off, instant humidity dome, that's all you need

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

Okay, let's say you can keep your RH to within 1% of your choosing. What if 50% of the girls you're growing don't like that setting you have, and would do better 2 or 3% higher OR lower. How useful is that accuracy now? I realize this is conjecture, but thinking that there's one ideal number that makes everybody happy in the grow room doesn't seem realistic to me. For me, sometimes, close enough is close enough. A couple points here or there ain't going to break the bank.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Okay, let's say you can keep your RH to within 1% of your choosing. What if 50% of the girls you're growing don't like that setting you have, and would do better 2 or 3% higher OR lower. How useful is that accuracy now? For me, sometimes, close enough is close enough.
2-3% is not going to make a difference its the swings of 10-15%. Im not saying you cant dial that in with tweaking settings but then your always fucking with it. It’s definitely not set a number and be reliable… all depends how much time you wanna mess with stuff. Plus as the plants grow its ever changing. The deadband on those is +/-5% thats a swing of 10% and with the probe set on the device it can be a lot more than that.

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

2-3% is not going to make a difference its the swings of 10-15%. Im not saying you cant dial that in with tweaking settings but then your always fucking with it. It’s definitely not set a number and be reliable… all depends how much time you wanna mess with stuff. Plus as the plants grow its ever changing. The deadband on those is +/-5% thats a swing of 10% and with the probe set on the device it can be a lot more than that.
Stated another way: Superior accuracy would be IDEAL if phenotypes and different strains didn't exist.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Stated another way: Superior accuracy would be IDEAL if phenotypes and different strains didn't exist.
? Not sure whats meant by this… everything is only ideal for the most part. You can grow plants in 30% or 80% humidity…. Maybe not ideal but yeah

mrsdabfire

mrsdabfire

Supporter
Firstly, it's important to know what the ideal humidity range is for young cannabis seedlings. Typically, seedlings require a humidity level of around 70% to 80% during their early stages of growth. This high humidity level helps to keep the delicate plant tissue hydrated and prevents the seedling from drying out.

To achieve this level of humidity, there are several strategies you can try. One option is to use a humidity dome, which is a plastic cover that sits over the top of your seedling tray or pot. This helps to trap moisture and create a humid environment around your plant. Alternatively, you could use a humidifier to add moisture to the air in your grow room.

Another strategy is to mist your seedling regularly with a spray bottle filled with water. This can help to keep the plant tissue hydrated and boost the humidity levels in the immediate area around your plant.

It's important to note that while high humidity levels are beneficial for young cannabis seedlings, it's also crucial to ensure proper ventilation to prevent the growth of mold or fungus. Keep the air circulating in your grow room to maintain a healthy environment for your plant.

I hope this information helps! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns. Best of luck with your seedling!

Theancientgallery

Theancientgallery

Forgive me if I’m wrong in saying this, but I think people stress too much about these things sometimes. Of course we want to provide a great environment for our plants, but not having absolutely perfect humidity in the seedling stage isn’t going to kill your grow IMO. As long as other factors are on point like genetics, lighting and temperature, seedlings will be totally fine at 50-69% rh in my experience. I’d rather let them ride the seedling stage out at 50% rh than try to battle high humidity in flower. That’s just me though, and I am but a mere hobbyist with no real credentials…or short term memory..

I have four plants in veg right now doing fine about 6-7 weeks from seed and they spent the first 3 weeks of their life under a fluorescent tube light in my spare bedroom at about 68*F and 50%rh. I even forgot about them a couple times.

I guess what I’m trying to say is sometimes it’s ok to give yourself a break. Do your best and don’t stress out too much. You’ve popped the seed, and if you can get them safely into veg, that’s half the battle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom