Need some solid advice regarding nute ph in organics...and silica.

• Thread starter GrimloxK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GrimloxK

Hey buds...sorry to rehash a tired topic but I was looking for some advice in my situation...

I'm of the opinion that while the soil does "buffer" or "adjust" the ph for you, it does take some time and I rather ph my nute solution so there are no problems.

When I test my nute solution (roots organics + distilled water) I get a ph of around 4.0. So to solve this crisis I use Dyna-Gro Pro-Tekt which is liquid silica to raise the ph...which it does. Problem is that the serving size for pro-tekt is 1/4-1/2 tsp. and I'm using way more than this. I have also been reading that silica binds to calcium which may/may not cause problems for me down the road (none yet though).

Where does the organic section stand on silica usage in the flowering stage and the amount that I'm using?

Are their any better solutions to ph up my nute solution?

Bless.

cannabeans

cannabeans

here's what i think...

if your ph is that low, in my opinion you are making your solution too strong. i would back off the amount you use till your ph hit your desired range.
i use the roots organic line up too, so im not just pulling this one out of thin air.

B

Buddy Hemphill

Would bublbling it for 24-48 hrs raise the ph enough so that you can use an appropriate amount of silica for final adjustment?

I've never used roots organics line.

I am at the end of a run that I did the same thing as you. Adding more than recommended silica to raise ph. I have a cal whore that I still have to supplement even with the silica and a recommended dose of cal-mag.

FWIW.

Top Shelf

Top Shelf

I would recommend aerating the solution for at least 24 hours. I grow 100% organic and haven't even checked the ph of my watering/feedings for over 2 years but I don't use roots organics.

O

organic_fanatic

I agree with both of these guys. Aerating your solution should raise the ph up.

Have you tried just using it as is without adjusting the pH? If your soil has enough buffers (Lime, Oyster Shell, Bone Meal), the pH should go right where it needs to be on its own.

G

GrimloxK

thanks guys....I finally got my active aqua airstone working right (was only pushing air through one side...and I had to use it on my last watering and it only raised my ph by .2, not nearly enough to get my ph in the correct zone.

i'm gonna do another go around today and see what happens after 24 hours.

also I contacted the roots organics guys and they said that I should get my ph up to 5.5-5.6 so last week my nute ph was about 4.5 and I added some pro-tekt enough to get it to 5.8...no harm done yet but I am seeing yellowing...could be my plant just sucking all the N out of the leaves.

my distilled water ph comes in at a cool 6.3 so thats what i'm aiming to feed at.

will post my results.

Bless.

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

I use Roots as well. If you are using Trinity it lowers the PH damn near 1 point per tablespoon, Using Budda Bloom, HPK and trinity mine is about 5.3 every time. Have you calibrated that meter ?

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

I would recommend aerating the solution for at least 24 hours. I grow 100% organic and haven't even checked the ph of my watering/feedings for over 2 years but I don't use roots organics.

Ever ? So the soil just kicks it up to were it needs to be. What additive do you put in your soil mix ?

G

GrimloxK

Well i'm feeding today so i'm going to take pics but I feel like I have a Calcium deficiency not because i'm not adding cal but because i've been using protekt which is a silica product and silica binds with calcium which reduces its chances of uptake.

Hopefully my aerated solution is at a good ph....if not I'm just gonna feed as is....i'm tired of this ph'ing nonsense I wanna see what happens if I just give her the solution as is. Hopefully my soil buffers.

G

GrimloxK

I also found this thread through google searching and it brings up some nice ideas on how to ph up and down in organic...

I'm not into the idea of using silica past another week and because it looks like it's complicating my calcium uptake which then complicates the transportation of other macros an micros I realized I have ful-humix from bio ag which is the new incarnation of their humisolve.

BioAg is absolutely great products for organics...I plan on using a little today to see if it changes my ph any.

G

GrimloxK

Well....letting the nutes bubble for 24 hours didn't really do much...adding humic acid really didn't do much....my ph came out to 4.2 and I fed her today with that. My bubbled nute mix did create a nice foam on top which I heard is a good sign....i'm done using silica seeing as my leaves are starting to show calcium deficiency but I gave my girl 3ml of GO CaMg. Who knows what going to happen by next feeding but I'm gonna give her straight distilled water w/ 5 ml of hygrozyme next feed...to try and flush her out a little bit. Come into my grow journal for pix.

Buddy - your right man...ph is no joke. And to make matters worse...if my soil was supposed to buffer my nute solution then when I added a 5.7 solution last watering my run-off ph was......5.7 so idk right now it looks like my run-off will be what I put in last feeding.

D

Dr.Green.Thumb

Im pretty sure when u use that pro-teck stuff u gotta us it first, then add your nutrients. I dont think its a every feeding fix though. Try checking the run off ph. It will tell if if you soil is adjusting it. If not, get that earth juice ph'up. Everyone's situation is different. Only way to get your setup dialed in is checking all the numbers. Check PPM and PH in water, nutrient solution, and run-off, and document.

kushdoctor

kushdoctor

I use silica blast from botanicare ,also trying amino treatment from h& g .I've always read that you need to add silica first thing in order for it to work right . Same with cal mag . If you are having problems mixing the two then use on alternating days . I use roots organics soil and Ph is always high when I'm done mixing base and additives so I use earth juice Ph down ,its organic . I get it to 6.5 and water . No prob

Latest posts

Top Bottom