need subcools super soil recipe PLEASE!!!!

• Thread starter wpg_breeder
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KillBillBuds

Just mix my 1st batch of Subby's Super Soil...that was some work!lol Big up to Sub...and thx for the tip about using the muck boots...saved my back bigtime! Here's a couple pics of the ingredients before mixin...

Subbys Super Soil PreMix 001
Subbys Super Soil PreMix 002
D

Dan K

I'm glad I found this thread about Sub's soil... Do you have to actually "bake" in the sun, or, do you just have to let it sit for 30+ days???

That Moonshine mix looks a hellava lot easier... Does it have to sit as well to become active???

I have been using the Soma soil mix just in 10 g containers instead of beds... However, I'm curious about using a soil without additional nutes... Maybe some Budswell and blackstrap, but that's about it...

J

Joe Blow

Ive used it straight from mixing it with good results. I like to put it in totes and let it grow mold for a couple months too. :D

S

shavits

Where do u get the powered humic acid? What brand is recommended for humic acid?

Dorje

Dorje

I'm glad I found this thread about Sub's soil... Do you have to actually "bake" in the sun, or, do you just have to let it sit for 30+ days???

That Moonshine mix looks a hellava lot easier... Does it have to sit as well to become active???

I have been using the Soma soil mix just in 10 g containers instead of beds... However, I'm curious about using a soil without additional nutes... Maybe some Budswell and blackstrap, but that's about it...

Yeah, I go halfway on the whole dry ferts thing... I use 'em but nowhere near the strength posted for sub's or moonshine's mix.... this allows me to fine tune their feeding program with liquid ferts.

I think all the organic potting mixes are ok, Black Gold, Roots, FFOF... roots and ffof are hotter so don't use this stuff for starting new seedlings or transplanting clones, they will go into shock for a few days before adapting... which is ok but not ideal IMO.

So, I mix a couple brands of organic potting mix, then add perlite and peat moss at 25% of the mix each, so 2 parts potting mix, 1 part perlite, 1 part peat moss. Lime is needed but not so much for the 1st run, ffof and potting mixes have pH buffers already. Anyway, about a cup of fine dolomite per 20 cu ft of soil mix works, along with a cup of bone and blood meal, dry kelp, and whatever is on the shelf, I just try to balance NPK ratios somewhat.

Another key, IMO, is to use a simple soil test kit for N-P-K and pH. It isn't accurate unless you buy an expensive pro level kit but a simple $20 Rapidtest or Security kit will give you a good idea of how much macro-nutes you have and pH is as accurate as an aquarium test kit with liquid drops that change color according to pH level. If you are not experienced enough to know exactly what's going on, use the test kit regularly and avoid problems!

Also... key #2... use the largest volume of soil you can fit into your space. I use beds that have about 40 gal per plant, 4 plants per kW.... half this amount in pots works ok, but they need water a lot more often, and feeding is critical to avoid imbalances, where with the beds you have a much larger buffer. So, for my system 20 gal smart pots are the smallest pots that work , and some of them need water every other day while the beds go nearly a week between waterings...

Finally, my mix does not need to sit. It is better if it does for a couple weeks but it is not required.

R

randyhighwood

Whats up Farmers!! I am mixing my first batch of super soil, i have RO water and was looking for a good recommendation for the Cal Mag additive? Or could i use oyster shell flour instead? If oyster shell will work, how much should i add to the mix?

Thanks!

Top Bottom