Need tips on drying dense colas

• Thread starter CHILKaT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CHILKaT

I have one strain that I tried to hang only to have it mold on me, even tried hanging at 30%rh and it still molds, so after that disaster now I just cut them all up so they can dry.

Now I have something even denser than that one and it should be harvested in a couple weeks. It is so solid my husband commented that if it hit him in the head it would knock him out...lol. They are that solid though, there is no give, just solid like a rock. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to dry them, or should I just play it safe and cut them into small buds?

purpleberry

purpleberry

If you keep the room about 40% the last 2 week of flower and the first few days you dry, with a fan going it shouldnt be a problem, just cut the biggest ones down to 6"
Ive delt with this and it sucks. lol

C

CHILKaT

I run the bloom at 30% rh lights on and 45% when lights off. I still have a problem with very dense colas during drying because the insides are extremely tight and moist and tend to mold. I guess I'll just continue to cut them up, it's the no risk option that does work.

M

mrdizzle

I honestly have never had anything rot post chop, I wouldnt be surprised if it was already rotted?

point a fan on them for the first 48hrs, then turn it off, this will help wick some of that water out of the stem

B

Beasters X Haze

Twist the big dense nugs before you put them in the dry room. They will open up and let air into the inside. You will never have another issue

C

CHILKaT

I guess I should specify I live in a temperate rain forest. The humidity is a constant 80+ with relatively cool temps and Botrytis is prevalent everywhere. I get it on all my outdoor plants, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, lettuce, etc. as well as some of our houseplants. It thrives here and the spores are in the air.

So it's not a matter of if they get exposed to it, they are exposed to it daily, which is why I grow indoors with controlled temperature and humidity. It does pop up occasionally in my grow room because the humidity is higher and if they get a film of moisture between leaves within 20 minutes those leaves are toast. It only takes a few hours hanging in the dark to ruin a crop. If I break them up into small buds right after harvest and dry them on screens with a fan going I have no issues, but they do tend to dry too fast this way and I think it takes away from what otherwise would have been great smoke. If I try to hang them, even for a couple of hours, the mold (Botrytis) starts to desecrate them from the inside out very quickly and it's easy to lose a whole crop.

I don't have any problems with most strains as they aren't as dense. I might try Beasters suggestion on one, pull it open if possible and see how it goes. I don't want to lose this plant to freaking mold, she's too pretty and rock solid. The colas are about a foot long, 3.5" diameter with about 2.5 weeks more to finish.

Bhxafgxnycd week6
nuttso

nuttso

honestly bro. botrytis is a pain in the ass. some strains claim to be more resistent against botrytis

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Old i know, but this situation sounds like a good candidate for uv-c lighting. Check the related thead here on the farm for details and safety precautions.

greenfrond

greenfrond

i've always found running a dehumidifier in the room helps. it's amazing just how much water those things can draw out of the air! airflow is really important at stopping the growth of molds as high co2 environments encourage growth.

Top Bottom