Need to bring humidity up

• Thread starter BC farmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BC farmer

BC farmer

I need to order some kind of humidification system ASAP, but can't decide on the details.

Running 5 tons of AC with a split unit.

I'm leaning toward a 1000PSI misting system with 4-6 misting heads.

The problem is, all the mfrs sell their products with very little info.

What I would like to know is:
What size pump (GPM/PSI), how many nozzles, what size orifice, where to mount them, or any other useful suggestions...

Roughly 5,500cu.ft. room. (3,300cu.

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Lets see.
Assuming you want to mount the misters over the plants, you'll have...
7 feet (high) + 2.5 feet (1/10th of the distance) + fittings = ~10 feet of dynamic head per row

Figure a low flow mister will be like 2 or 3 GPH at 20psi with 1 extra psi per head foot per row, and that works out to, what the hell does that work out to?, fuck me, 15 GPH at about 150 PSI per 5 mister row.

Damn dude, get a humidifier. Math hurts. O_o

hort-hog

hort-hog

A humidifier would be great if it would actually keep up with the dehumidification of the A/C.

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Where's the water going from your A/C? If you can direct it somewhere, and put a lid and a fan on it, its a swamp cooler.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I have a 4.5 and a hyddrofogger on 12k. I can put RH where I want it.

It gets the area around it wet though... Its too big for my space. So it gets me the RH I need....lol....like a muddafucka....

hort-hog

hort-hog

Where's the water going from your A/C? If you can direct it somewhere, and put a lid and a fan on it, its a swamp cooler.

Water from a/c goes into condensate pump and back to reservoir.

Connected to a home brew humidifier sounds like high flood potential, IMO.

squiggly

squiggly

I'd go with column A and B. Go misters and run the mist past a fan for an evaporative cooling effect :)

ttystikk

ttystikk

I want to add something here, before oyu find out the hard way. I used to work for a cigfar wholesaer in South Florida. The warehouse, like every other habitable structure in the Deep South, as air conditioned, drying the ambient humidity and endangering the product. To compensate, the owners installed a mist type humidification system. Soon, there were calcium deposits all over EVERYTHING; walls, floors, desks, computers, shelves, and of course the product itself. This happened because the unit operated by spraying a fine mist of water at high pressure, which also put everything dissolved in that water into the air.

The way to avoid this- something I told the owner before he ran out and got the 'cheapest' thing he could find- is to use a wick-type evaporative cooler, also known as a swamp cooler. Rather than blasting the water into the air will all of its dissolved solids, it drizzles water down a layer of batting inside the machine. A fan blows air through that batting and the water evaporates into the airstream, and this is important, leaving all of its contents behind.

I've scrounged the local thrift shops for years, and I've picked up several units of a particular model, the Essick Air Products' BFC-2000. I didn't pay more than $25 for any of them. I guess they don't make that particular one anymore, but they do make many others. I suggest something like this, small enough to be portable, and WITHOUT digital controls, so you can put it on an external humdistat control. The digital ones, once shut off won't turn on again by themselves.

These swamp cooler type units do not need outside air- unless you're using it for ventilation and cooling- and are plenty simple to operate. Put a sterilant in it every week or two, and of course you'll need to clean it every once in awhile and replace the batting because that's where the dissolved solids end up. I do not recommend any of the whole house units; the ones that go in the furnace ducting dn't put out enough humidity for our purposes, plus they work best with hot water and hot air. I also wouldn't recommend any of the big square jobs, either window or roof mounted because they tend to flow too much air. Maybe they would be fine as a 'first stage', and then you can add more humidity via another unit.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Few interesting post here. I never had to add water in the room. However back in my mass clone time. I got NutraMist from Future Garden witch brakes water up 0-5microns. These units can be piped like central AC with 2" vacuum pipe.. Also the HydroFogger that was like 40-180 microns I Think? Use an RO and keep the unit clean

Classic way is bucket of water. Another words mass surface of water expose to the air. Or ever Air stones might help.

Other wise ever one around here is trying to pull the water out.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Few interesting post here. I never had to add water in the room. However back in my mass clone time. I got NutraMist from Future Garden witch brakes water up 0-5microns. These units can be piped like central AC with 2" vacuum pipe.. Also the HydroFogger that was like 40-180 microns I Think? Use an RO and keep the unit clean

Classic way is bucket of water. Another words mass surface of water expose to the air. Or ever Air stones might help.

Other wise ever one around here is trying to pull the water out.

You're right, under two conditions; first, that the room is sealed and second that the plants are big enough to overcome the drying effets of AC.

If those two conditions aren't met, you'll likely be needing to add moisture. The faster the flow of ventilating air through the room and the more AC, the more volume of water must be evaporated to compensate.

I applaud these guys' use of 600w bulbs and adjust-a-wing hoods, but this is a setup that needs massive amounts of AC or other cooling. Since they've already installed AC, they're stuck with adding moisture until the plants transpire enough by themselves to make up the difference. At that point the AC will help keep humidity down, although they may still need additional dehuey capacity.

Top Bottom