Need to find out where to buy a new fan? Help

• Thread starter Budds Bunny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Budds Bunny

I'm really not sure the technical name on much of my equipment since it was handed down to me but my room is getting to warm and I think I need a stronger fan I am running 1000 watt light and in need of a fan that can handle the heat from that light any one kno where I can picc one up?

(edit) I guess people thought I was talking normal fans, I am talking about pulling the air out from the light sending the heat into the attic. Exhaust fan I think?

J

Jalisco Kid

Look for air kings. I have some floor fans running 24/7 for 5 years.

hiboy

hiboy

Fans move hot air around, they dont contribute to lowering the temps in your room.
They do circulate the air in the room, so if you have hot spots and cold spots you might be able to create middle spots. I like that one.
h

S

smokestack23

The fan you have now...is it a circulation fan (to move air around in the room) or an exhaust fan (fan to suck or blow air out of your room)?

If your temps are too high you need an exhaust fan. If you already have one you either need a bigger one or you need to run the one you have more often or for longer "on" cycles.

I get mine on eBay for CHEAP and they're just fine.

There are formulas all over the net to calculate the size of fan you need for your size room and amount of lights (heat generators) etc.

PEACE

B

Budds Bunny

The fan you have now...is it a circulation fan (to move air around in the room) or an exhaust fan (fan to suck or blow air out of your room)?

If your temps are too high you need an exhaust fan. If you already have one you either need a bigger one or you need to run the one you have more often or for longer "on" cycles.

I get mine on eBay for CHEAP and they're just fine.

There are formulas all over the net to calculate the size of fan you need for your size room and amount of lights (heat generators) etc.

PEACE

I have both but I need a better exhaust fan. I have it pulling right now going into the attic but my room is still to warm. So I'm looking to find a better exhaust fan and dont if there are certain kinds I need to look for and don't kno what size I need?

S

smokestack23

Just search it and you'll find the formula. As for what brand of fan..I personally am not as big on brands as I am on saving cash. SOMETIMES, trying to save ends up costing more...but I've been doing just fine with the cheaper stuff of everything.

I find digital LUMA 600 and 1000W light kits (with cooltube, 2 bulbs, timer, yoyos..) for around $170. Have never had a problem. The bulbs they come with are no-name but work fine. I buy more no-name bulbs for $20 or $30 each and switch them out every 3 cycles. I would do that with expensive bulbs too.

I bought a 440cfm fan with carbon scrubber and ducting for $150. A couple weeks later I bought a 750cfm kit (complete) for $130. They too work just fine. The big (8"...the 440 is a 6" set-up) fan sometimes makes some noise when starting but I'm ok with noise. My 6" doesnt do the occasional noisy start-up.

A scrubber only lasts so long before you need to replace it (or replace the carbon inside). I'll probably replace mine annually. I don't think I can get the carbon and pay for shipping and come in under $100(?). It might be worthwhile for me to buy a whole new system for $130. I can use the extra fan or keep it as a backup. I can use the extra 30' of free ducting too.

So..even if I buy a whole new system every year, I'd probably get about 3 years worth (3 kits) for the price of an expensive kit..which would also need re-filling or replacing annually.

Just like the cheap light kits...I can get 3 of them for the price of one Quantam or Lumatek system. The 3 cheapos though give me a total of 6 bulbs and back-ups of everything else. That's some pretty cheap peace of mind.

There isnt a whole lot of our equipment that lasts forever. Everything is "consumable" from bulbs to carbon to pumps (I replace them often to avoid pathogens and other nasties), tubing/piping, tubs, medium, airstones..

I know a lot of that stuff CAN be re-used indefinitely but for me, who buys the cheap stuff (like DIY RDWC systems with cheap hardware store parts), I can just replace stuff before it becomes problematic.

A lot of times the cheaper alternative is not worse than it's pricey counterpart. Take for example a water cooled CO2 generator. Those are like $300. If you search the same thing but call it an inline water heater it's a hundred bucks for the EXACT same unit.

Bottles of CO2. Can be hundreds at a growshop, $100 at a welding shop...or...thirty bucks from the coca cola distributer. Actually more like 20 bucks for the bottle and 10 or 15 for the gas. SNS-217 = Rosemary oil. Sweeteners=molasses, MOAB=MPK and MAP and B1...
Almost EVERYTHING we use has a cheaper twin and if you don't care about brand names...you can save a fortune and a lot of stress. It really feels good knowing you have extra EVERYTHING.
If every single thing in my room broke at once I could replace everything right now...and still for cheaper than I would pay for one name brand unit...which...can also fail.

So yeah...figure out the size of fan you need and start shopping. Do some research and you'll find what fits for you and for well below retail. if you're thorough and patient.
PEACE.

B

Budds Bunny

Not a 100 % sure on everything you said, because I don't understand all the names you were mentioning. Like lumatek and others. But I believe the fan I have now is a 750 cfm. I think it has jus gotten weaker over the years. Like I said everything was handed down to me. It has a 8 in ducting. But I will try and figure out where to find this formula. I don't know the type of light or bulb I have except it's a 1000w.

S

smokestack23

Sorry..Lumatek and Quantum are just the highly rated (and priced) brand names of ballasts and lights.

Man...how big is your room if an 8" 750 cfm fan won't keep it cool with a single thousand watter?
Something is wrong.

I know this because, the rule of thumb as far as light goes is to use a minimum of 50watts per square foor. So..a 1000watter is good for 20 square feet (20sq'X50watts=1000watts) or like a 4X5 room.
A 750cfm fan will EASILY ceep a room that size cool.

You might be using a 1000watter in a room that's way too big..like say 100sq feet (10X10). In that case, a single 1000w should'nt get the room way too hot..and even if it does, your fan is big enough to deal with it.

It must be something else. Is it an attic that's very hot anyway and you're running your lights during the day when it's REALLY hot?
Do you not have any intake ducts?
Is the intake over a fireplace? lol..sorry..couldnt help myself.

I use a 750 cfm 8" fan in a room that's about 850sq' with like 4000watts of light and I have no problems keeping at or under 80deg. It's a bit high but I run CO2 and it's summertime.

If your stuff is well used you might be amazed at the difference a new bulb will make. Even a cheap one. I'd get two though. Even expensive bulbs can fail and that really sucks..being without your light.
If you want links to eBay sellers (not affiliated with me in any way) who have great deals on super bulbs let me know.

Hope that helps.
PEACE

B

Budds Bunny

Nah my room is 5x4x8. Perfectly fine as far as I kno? I did get some adapters to make it go from 8 to a 4 to connect to my light. But I think my fan has jus gotten too weak from over the years of work.

Would bulbs make my temp go down? And yea I really don't know where to find where to buy stuff.

S

smokestack23

No...bulbs will create heat if they're on. There won't be much difference between a tired one and a fresh one in that regard..if that's what you're asking. What I mean is that when a bulb gets tired a new one will provide noticeably better growth.

If you need bulbs, this guy has em cheap and ships fast. Shipping is free to Canada..not sure about US.
http://shop.ebay.ca/hobbylighting/m...c&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_sop=1&_sc=1

You might be able to find similar pricing on name brand bulbs on Amazon but I've been buying from this guy. Havent had any problems with his bulbs and I'm running them on digital ballasts. Not a single one has failed and at these prices, changing them out three times a year doesn't make you wanna cry or force you to take out another mortgage.

Actually, I might even list my old ones to sell as used. They'll work just fine in an industrial application and maybe even fine for growing.
I have changed a single and couldn't SEE a difference compared to ones that had a few months on them.
HID lamps in warehouses or as streetlamps last a VERY long time..like dozens of years sometimes. I just don't like to use them for grows for very long. Like I said..at these prices..
Heck...you might even get 20 or 30 bucks when you re-sell them?

PEACE

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I got an idea, locate a phone book and look up hydroponics in the yellow pages....that's where you buy stuff or online. Also if your intake is too small or just bringing in 100 degree air your gonna have to go ac...
Make sure to run your lights at night and good luck!

M

MTM

Nickels supply has the new fans from atmosphere the same people that make vortex,they have a 6 inch with 400 cfm for less than 140 bucks.I just bought an eco plus and wished I would have seen these first

B

Budds Bunny

Smokestack I appreciate the help.

Baba g I don't know if ur trying to be a smartass or not but if I had a dro store within 4 hrs of me I wouldn't be asking, so you have any other suggestions or if ya wanna make any other smart ass comments you can go to another post.

MTM thane I will look them up.

Top Bottom