Need to get a quote from my electrician...help

• Thread starter Santa Claus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Santa Claus

Electrical Setup/Requirements for a UC8 XXL 13?

I HAVE...
-2x90 amps coming into the apartment. I looked below and all 4 apartments have their own (2x90) circuit breakers at the main box.
-A Circuit breaker panel in the same room as I plan on putting the UC system in
-An electrician I know, who will do whatever I want

I WILL BE RUNNING...
- A custom UC 8xxl 13g
x o x
o x o
x o x
o x o
x o x

- 7 1000w vertical in cool tubes (12x12 room)
- Everything to support this; A/C, chiller, dehumidifier, pumps, co2, scrubber, ballasts.... Everything that can be placed outside the room to aid in cooling will be.

I have my own business and test equipment which justifies using so much power. I also know an electrician and have the landlords approval. I'm looking to see if this set up is doable.

I want to call the electrician for a quote :call but don't even know what to ask for and def don't want to f this one up. Wouldn't I just have him build a sub panel with "X" amount of outlets and rated to handle "X" amount of watts?...Any help is greatly appreciated from my future UC friends I'm trying to get my head around this and only want my electrician to come out once and do it right the first time.

Thanks, SC

R

RMCG

Boy...

Where to start.

As easy as answering "How long will I live?"

The UC itself doesn't use much juice on its own ~200w IIRC?

This should probably be moved to 'Growroom Setup and Design', as its at that level, not UC specific.

anyway, what size A/C, chiller, dehuey? Amp loads? Starting and Running.

120 or 240v?

7k lights - 120 or 240v? Mag or Digital?

How many fans and what sizes (inline and circulating)?

hiboy

hiboy

90 amps is gona be super tite if your also running the appliances in your kiitchen with that power... just dont turn on the micro when the light are on.. theres 18ish amps right there. Def go 240v for your bloom lights... keep the veg to fluor if you can to help bump your available amps to your hps ones.... and then what about your a/c.. thats a biggie right there.

deacon1503

deacon1503

90 amps dedicated to this grow should be adequate, should be. is the panel in the room the main panel for the apartment? at the buildings main service panel u see (2) 90-amp dual pole breakers? so 180 amps of service total to ur apartment? be careful that u dont just see (1) dual pole 90 breaker. Most often they are twin 1" breakers with a common trip bar. See attached. make sure u dont only have 90 amps of service. thats kind of an odd amperage, 180, and seems high for an apartment.

it all depends on how much u want the sparky to do for u. running wire, installing breakers and recepticles isnt hard if u do ur research and learn, it would benefit u in the long run anyway. Even installing a sub panel though a breaker in your main panel isnt really that difficult.

good luck and congrats on the new UC! :harvest:

90amp
hiboy

hiboy

there aint no apartment getting 180 amps.. and they dont even make that breaker... most likely its 90 amp two pole for the whole shabang.

U

Underground

Just tell your electrician what you want and have him design a system that suits your needs. If you're gonna hold his hand, you can't hold him accountable for installing an inadequate system.

S

Santa Claus

Thanks...Yes it looks to be a square D breaker. It has one switch for both and is marked 90 on each side. I was thinking 90 +90 since that is what it reads. So it looks like I need the electrician to run more amps from the apartments breaker to the room to do this right?

I am assuming he can wire 140 more amps from the pole to my apartment if I need him to and for the right price? I would rather do it this way for peace of mind as I would sleep much better knowing I had brand new wiring and plenty of it.

hiboy

hiboy

Thats a major thing installing new feeders to the main panel. Plus your panel board might not be rated for a higher amperage. Plus the service provider is normally the one to do the upgrade.. from the pole.

U

Underground

Thats a major thing installing new feeders to the main panel. Plus your panel board might not be rated for a higher amperage. Plus the service provider is normally the one to do the upgrade.. from the pole.

Depends on the area. I know with the utility that serves this area, they are responsible for the riser. Another you are, and the co-op requires a meter socket with an integral disconnect.

W

weedfarm

Thanks...Yes it looks to be a square D breaker. It has one switch for both and is marked 90 on each side. I was thinking 90 +90 since that is what it reads. So it looks like I need the electrician to run more amps from the apartments breaker to the room to do this right?

I am assuming he can wire 140 more amps from the pole to my apartment if I need him to and for the right price? I would rather do it this way for peace of mind as I would sleep much better knowing I had brand new wiring and plenty of it.

the switches are probably connected with a handle. That is a DP (double pole) breaker. That is what feeds the apartment.

Run the lights at 240, and I think you will be fine with 90 amps if not living there

BTW, your business is irrelevant. If LEO ever looks at the electric bill, there will be nothing you can do

hiboy

hiboy

in cali (my area) service provider is responsible all the way to the meter lugs.. underground feed. overhead. thats different. Not sure if they check stop on the riser or down to the lugs. Installation is always contractor for the riser in cali , my area

S

Santa Claus

Boy...

Where to start.

As easy as answering "How long will I live?"

The UC itself doesn't use much juice on its own ~200w IIRC?

anyway, what size A/C, chiller, dehuey? Amp loads? Starting and Running.

120 or 240v?

7k lights - 120 or 240v? Mag or Digital?

How many fans and what sizes (inline and circulating)?

Thank you for all of the responses.
Some more info - I will be running a 24K BTU A/C, 7 Digital 1K lights (cool tubes one fan, a scrubber w/fan, a 1/2 hp chiller, standard dehuey, 4 small fans, the pumps for a 8 bucket UC....that should be about it.
Wondering a safe amount of total Amps I will need to that room...I need to start there to see if it's even possible.

Top Bottom