Need To Upgrade Lights Asap Please Help

• Thread starter Kld12972601
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kld12972601

New grower here! This is my first grow. I have 5 plants 2 weeks into flower. Started from bagseed under a 2' T5 with 4x 24 watt bulbs. Im growing in my closet which measures 3'x 2.5'x 8' I'm thinking about switching to a 400 watt hps light instead. Im not trying to put lots of money into my grow but I'd like to produce some alright yields. I'm thinking about getting a light with just a winged reflector being that that is the cheapest option. I also dont want to invest in a ventilation system so I'm thinking I'll just leave the closet door open during the day with a fan blowing cool air in, which is what I've been doing this whole time. Will that cool it down enough? And is it okay to leave the door to your grow room open during the day?

Dan789

Dan789

Hps in closet sounds like a bad idea no matter how it's done, especially without out any cooling, the open door won't do much for keeping the plants dark during lights out unless your figuring on opening and closing the door every rotation. When these plants start getting fragrant, the open door will be broadcasting what you're up to for anyone,coming through your front door. So lots of negatives to overcome.
BTW @Kld12972601, welcome to the farm.

K

Kld12972601

Thanks for the reply! Yes. I do plan on just closing the door during lights out as that's what I've been doing this whole time and it hasn't been a problem for me yet. And I'm really not to concerned about the smell, as I almost never have company. So with that said, would it be worth it to upgrade to the HPS? Or could you think of a better option? Thanks again! I appreciate your help!

K

Kld12972601

I've also looked into just adding In some extra CFL's, but from what I've read, it seems like I'll end up spending the same amount of money, and putting in more work, for way smaller yields.

Dan789

Dan789

Without ventilation and a hps I'd be more concerned with burning the place down.
Safest way is with Leds, I know that's what you don't want to hear, but in a small space it's too risky to do anything else.

K

Kld12972601

Darn! That's a bummer! So, you think even a lower watt HPS, like 150-250 would kick out too much heat to? Or what if I opted for one of those air- cooled tubes?

Monster762

Monster762

New grower here! This is my first grow. I have 5 plants 2 weeks into flower. Started from bagseed under a 2' T5 with 4x 24 watt bulbs. Im growing in my closet which measures 3'x 2.5'x 8' I'm thinking about switching to a 400 watt hps light instead. Im not trying to put lots of money into my grow but I'd like to produce some alright yields. I'm thinking about getting a light with just a winged reflector being that that is the cheapest option. I also dont want to invest in a ventilation system so I'm thinking I'll just leave the closet door open during the day with a fan blowing cool air in, which is what I've been doing this whole time. Will that cool it down enough? And is it okay to leave the door to your grow room open during the day?
Heat will be issue. Just buy 2700k bulbs and swap 2 of the 4 our. I'm running t5 and they are doing great. Add cheap led red spectrum to help flower but the t5s will crush it output wise. Now this led is 600w but the t5 are doing most the work. 4x4 area. Completely covered. Just get cheap 45w (red only) panel to add for flower$40 max. This is my light with staggered bloom n veg bulbs and just 1 of the 3 plants crammed in 4x4.
IMG 0432
IMG 0499

Monster762

Monster762

Darn! That's a bummer! So, you think even a lower watt HPS, like 150-250 would kick out too much heat to? Or what if I opted for one of those air- cooled tubes?
Any halide or hps will be hard to control in small space. Use what you got. Save money and max what you paid for already. 2700k-3000k bulbs but only put half in

C.Brown

C.Brown

get a cool tube reflector and a good fan, a real fan, i had a 400w hps/mh in a similar sized closet, my best advice is to un-ass the cash to get a cool tube and real fan/filter combo, cut holes in the floor and exhaust to the outside. If you are not able to somehow run your exhaust outside its going to be an uphill battle controlling temps unless you keep the door open and ac going in the house, even then you'll have a tough time.

Monster762

Monster762

Heat will be issue. Just buy 2700k bulbs and swap 2 of the 4 our. I'm running t5 and they are doing great. Add cheap led red spectrum to help flower but the t5s will crush it output wise. Now this led is 600w but the t5 are doing most the work. 4x4 area. Completely covered. Just get cheap 45w (red only) panel to add for flower$40 max. This is my light with staggered bloom n veg bulbs and just 1 of the 3 plants crammed in 4x4. View attachment 728752View attachment 728753
Oh and that is just over 2 weeks into flower of a 10 week estimate.

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

LED! sounds like that would b best especially since your not looking to add ventilation those other lights will raise heat drastically especially in a closet with no to poor ventilation

Monster762

Monster762

LED! sounds like that would b best especially since your not looking to add ventilation those other lights will raise heat drastically especially in a closet with no to poor ventilation
I think push the t5 and get cheap led red spectrum 660 mm only for flower (amazon $40 ). Or spend a little more n get a full spec led but I'd still just add it to the t5s Those t5 are the sh!t then add led it works pretty good Led is the way to beat the heat.

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

I think push the t5 and get cheap led red spectrum 660 mm only for flower (amazon $40 ). Or spend a little more n get a full spec led but I'd still just add it to the t5s Those t5 are the sh!t then add led it works pretty good Led is the way to beat the heat.

Yes really just depends on how much your willing to spend u def can keep the T5 and just add a couple small cheap LEDs to get the different spectrums and give it that added kick but also think of it as an investment if u plan on growing again :)

K

Kld12972601

Any halide or hps will be hard to control in small space. Use what you got. Save money and max what you paid for already. 2700k-3000k bulbs but only put half in
WOW! Im not sure why it hadnt occured to me untill just now that i can just get higher wattage bulbs for my t5! I was talking to a guy who works at my local hydro store, and i told him my predicament, gave him some specs on my grow, and he made it sound like it was dire for me to upgrade to an hps. And was shocked that my girls were even showing me pistils. Didnt mention a thing about just being able to buy better bulbs for my t5. Now im thinking he was just tryimg to take advantage of a new grower and get more money out of me! I am so relieved! Phewww! Thank you so much! You all just saved me a lot of time and money! I appreciate it!

Monster762

Monster762

WOW! Im not sure why it hadnt occured to me untill just now that i can just get higher wattage bulbs for my t5! I was talking to a guy who works at my local hydro store, and i told him my predicament, gave him some specs on my grow, and he made it sound like it was dire for me to upgrade to an hps. And was shocked that my girls were even showing me pistils. Didnt mention a thing about just being able to buy better bulbs for my t5. Now im thinking he was just tryimg to take advantage of a new grower and get more money out of me! I am so relieved! Phewww! Thank you so much! You all just saved me a lot of time and money! I appreciate it!
Those bulbs are not higher wattage. Stick with the factory wattage it's just a different spectrum. It's a yellower bulb instead of bright blue.

Monster762

Monster762

Those bulbs are not higher wattage. Stick with the factory wattage it's just a different spectrum. It's a yellower bulb instead of bright blue.
technically hps is good. It is real good but different situations are better with different things. Hps is heat. And draws wall power. It can also burn plants quick. So in order to use hps you need good ventilation ,height to keep it away from plants and sometimes an a/c unit in the grow room. Plus it draws more from the wall. So by the time you add all the extra expenses is it worth the couple percent more yeild that is possible? And it's only possible to yield more and denser bud if everything goes flawlessly.

K

Kld12972601

Hmmm. Well, after reading all of this, I think I'll be best off if I just stick with my t5, and get some of these bulbs that @moster762 is talking about. And possibly get some LED's. It sounds like the margin for error with HPS is just wayy to high for my experience level and space limitations. I'll save the HPS for when I have a couple successful grows under my belt and more money to invest in my equipment.

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

Get a $200 + led

Im doing exactly what you are now. In a wooden closet with minimal ventilation.

All the bargin leds produce a good amount of heat, don't have the best spectrum n overall.......not the best choice. If it's a 300, consider it a 150.

Ask me how I know

Top Bottom