Negative affect of nearby Grape vine....?

• Thread starter jimjam63
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jimjam63

jimjam63

My small grow of 3 plants is about 3 feet from a mature Grape vine in my backyard here in NorCal. About 3 weeks after the clones were planted or July 15th, the leaves on the Grape vine started to turn brown and looking kinda sickly. My buddy, who claims to be a professional "Tender" for various large farms in the area, says that it was disease and was going to kill the crop. I disagreed saying they do that right after their growing season. Every year. He didn't listen and spent the next 7 days giving them "medicine". They looked fine then and look no different today. Any of you have experience or problems growing too close to a Grape vine?

jimjam63

jimjam63

I would say identify the disease(s) effecting the grape to determine if it might effect your plants. Most grape diseases don't effect Cannabis but a few, like mildew and septoria leaf spot, do.

This might help: https://www.canr.msu.edu/grapes/integrated_pest_management/diseases
Thank you, but I guess you didn't read or understand my post.....there was no disease on the grape leaves, it was dying. Just like it does every year at around this time. And I cut all the branches off right after my buddy noticed and started whining!. I just want to know if it is even possible for all 3 plants to become infected by the Grape vine, IF it was infected. (picture is the clones right after planting on June 5th)

Grow011
PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

Thank you, but I guess you didn't read or understand my post.....there was no disease on the grape leaves, it was dying. Just like it does every year at around this time. And I cut all the branches off right after my buddy noticed and started whining!. I just want to know if it is even possible for all 3 plants to become infected by the Grape vine, IF it was infected. (picture is the clones right after planting on June 5th)
Well, that's the thing: grapes shouldn't die back this time of year unless you are in a very northern area that already experienced a hard frost. The earliest varieties ripen by late August or early September but tend to stay green until frost if healthy.

I think you really only need to worry about septoria, but you would probably already be seeing symptoms of that if it was the culprit. Did your friend specify what disease he or she thought they had?

jimjam63

jimjam63

Well, that's the thing: grapes shouldn't die back this time of year unless you are in a very northern area that already experienced a hard frost. The earliest varieties ripen by late August or early September but tend to stay green until frost if healthy.

I think you really only need to worry about septoria, but you would probably already be seeing symptoms of that if it was the culprit. Did your friend specify what disease he or she thought they had?
He told me but I forgot. And I'm not bringing it up to him. I live in NorCal....we hardly ever get frost. All I know is it happens to them every year and nothing else. Maybe it gets the same disease every year?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The only thing I've ever heard about cross contamination from grapes is mold. They leaf over and create pockets for mold to collect and grow.

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

He told me but I forgot. And I'm not bringing it up to him. I live in NorCal....we hardly ever get frost. All I know is it happens to them every year and nothing else. Maybe it gets the same disease every year?
Are the grapes irrigated? If not they could do that once it really dries out each summer which I would guess is around this time of year there? I assume you don't normally get fruit from them?

I wouldn't worry about it, if septoria was an issue you'd see lots of leaf spots on your plants, and it can't spread mold now if it has no leaves.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Want to really freak out your friend?
Poke some holes in the root section of the grapes and put some mycorrhizae fungus in there before the frost hits. Then in the spring, spray them with a light dose of Recharge and Fish Sh!T. You will grow some incredible grapes. Give them that 3X during their season before harvest.

jimjam63

jimjam63

The only thing I've ever heard about cross contamination from grapes is mold. They leaf over and create pockets for mold to collect and grow.
Leaf over? Last week random center/big leaflets were twisting over....mainly on some of the top large leafs. Didn't find mold or bugs and it went away in 2 days. Is that what you mean by leaf over??

jimjam63

jimjam63

Want to really freak out your friend?
Poke some holes in the root section of the grapes and put some mycorrhizae fungus in there before the frost hits. Then in the spring, spray them with a light dose of Recharge and Fish Sh!T. You will grow some incredible grapes. Give them that 3X during their season before harvest.
Sounds good. It's a Concord Grape....made juice one year. It is also a very old vine, and has too many main branches. I'll try it.

jimjam63

jimjam63

Are the grapes irrigated? If not they could do that once it really dries out each summer which I would guess is around this time of year there? I assume you don't normally get fruit from them?

I wouldn't worry about it, if septoria was an issue you'd see lots of leaf spots on your plants, and it can't spread mold now if it has no leaves.
They were occasionally watered and looked pretty healthy all season. Produced 2 small clusters that the birds ate before they ever got big.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Leaf over? Last week random center/big leaflets were twisting over....mainly on some of the top large leafs. Didn't find mold or bugs and it went away in 2 days. Is that what you mean by leaf over??
No sorry. I mean the leaves grow over and cover areas that turn into mold havens.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Sounds good. It's a Concord Grape....made juice one year. It is also a very old vine, and has too many main branches. I'll try it.
Prune the snot out of it. Just leave the main line branches. Get rid of all the little stuff. Grapes have to be cut back or they don't grow correctly.

jimjam63

jimjam63

Prune the snot out of it. Just leave the main line branches. Get rid of all the little stuff. Grapes have to be cut back or they don't grow correctly.
prune it as it grows or when? I just cut off all this years growth....the canes. And cut back a cordon? so there less to deal with next year. hey, where's a good website to get growing and pruning info? Or do i ask you?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

prune it as it grows or when? I just cut off all this years growth....the canes. And cut back a cordon? so there less to deal with next year. hey, where's a good website to get growing and pruning info? Or do i ask you?
Try this:

Top Bottom