Negative effects of vinegar for ph down

• Thread starter frequentfleyer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
frequentfleyer

frequentfleyer

Anyone have feed back on vinegar for ph down? As a temporary solution waiting on ph down from an online order

frequentfleyer

frequentfleyer

Thanks everyone, o have earth juice coming in today!! I only had to use vinegar once to defeat a lock out. My tap water went from 7.2 to 8.8 over a few days and my ladies had one cycle of water at almost 9 ph yikes. After correcting I watered at 6.7 ph they bounced backed within a day

frequentfleyer

frequentfleyer

** forgot to mention the lock out forced me to do my phase 1 flower flush a few days earlier no biggie I’m assuming

frequentfleyer

frequentfleyer

Last question why can’t I mix up a citric acid solution from fruits. Like oranges lemons and limes? Just filter out any pulp n seeds?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Last question why can’t I mix up a citric acid solution from fruits. Like oranges lemons and limes? Just filter out any pulp n seeds?
Because of all the other shit in it.

Citric acid is a weak acid and wont last long. But its much more concentrated and pure then say lemon juice. Citric acid is so cheap that it will not only cost you more to use fruit but the fruit juice contains a lot of other crap you dont need other than citric acid that could have many unwanted results.

IMO citric acid is cheap and perfectly suitable to soil with the lowest PPM contribution of any acid I have used for growing. Once the nutrients are in the soil the soil will adjust the PH and this is why a weak acid like citric is ideal. Personally I don't PH my nutrients for my soil grow but I won't get into that. There is a bit more to this but keeping a proper PH while mixing nutrients is important to prevent precipitate. Once its in the soil the soil does the work of adjusting the PH and the citric acid breaks down extremely fast.

If you feel like looking a bit more into PH I did a basic explination of PH here.

frequentfleyer

frequentfleyer

Thanks for all the information, ‘twas a great read none the less I’m using a good soil IMO I just don’t think any buffer can handle 9.0ph for 2 watering cycles. That’s was caused my intial lock out

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for all the information, ‘twas a great read none the less I’m using a good soil IMO I just don’t think any buffer can handle 9.0ph for 2 watering cycles. That’s was caused my intial lock out
depends on the alkalinity. If its high amount of carbonates your likely to have issues later with or without citric acid

mancorn

mancorn

opps sorry. Was trying to figure out how to post a url. I never get the “URL unfurl="true"/URL” code when I hit the link button.

Last edited:
frequentfleyer

frequentfleyer

I never had this issue usually my water is 7.3ish I normally water with that and let the soil buffer out the extra. My ppm is 112 on tap water

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I never had this issue usually my water is 7.3ish I normally water with that and let the soil buffer out the extra. My ppm is 112 on tap water
Yeah at 112 ppm the only reason I would worry about adjusting the ph is to make sure some of the nutrients don't precipitate out. It won't take much acid to adjust it either. Your nutrients prob come dam close to lowering enough and the stronger your nutrients the lower your ph will likely be. Not a lot of buffering capacity to that water just a bit so It's great water to start.

Was it here someone mentioned a water softener? You don't have a water softener do you?

frequentfleyer

frequentfleyer

No water softner, I switched to my brita filter found cartridges for it finally got 7.2 with 50-60 ppm

frequentfleyer

frequentfleyer

Tap water in my area consist mostly of calcium and fluoride I wonder if that hardness over it sent my ladies into that frenzy not so much the Ph. Filtered watered from now on lol I’m racking my brain

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Anyone ever use general hydro ph down? Or nectar of gods ph products? Looking for back ups

earth juice will be discontinued soon apparently according to my local hydro store..

Gen Hydro pH products are the weakest garbage I've ever used. Advanced Nutrients pH down and Emerald Harvest pH down are the strongest I have found yet. I mean the AN pH down I have to use a dropper when adding because the difference between 5 drops and 6 drops could be .5 difference in pH depending on how much you're treating. It's strong, and I wear gloves when using it or it will dry your skin out big time!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Gen Hydro pH products are the weakest garbage I've ever used. Advanced Nutrients pH down and Emerald Harvest pH down are the strongest I have found yet. I mean the AN pH down I have to use a dropper when adding because the difference between 5 drops and 6 drops could be .5 difference in pH depending on how much you're treating. It's strong, and I wear gloves when using it or it will dry your skin out big time!
That's because AN is straight phosphoric acid. Even better is just order 85% food grade for a fraction of the price of AN. They just dilute it (not as much as others) and then raise the price... Nute companies always looking for a way to gouge consumers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom