Never Fail Method For 1st Timers

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I've been perusing the new posts and the most common thread's subject is 1st timers having issues. Growing can be as simple as popping a pill in the dirt to something just shy of a nuclear reactor. The process I've used for decades is simple, foolproof, and I've NEVER had a problem that wasn't because of something I did. If asked, I would recommend this method until you get a little more comfortable with some of the methods described for training and diagnosing any problems that might pop up. This is the indoor mix that I've used and never had any problems. It can be tweaked when you get more experienced, but it is very simple..I use 5 or 6 gallon buckets but anything that is drained should work...the bigger the better.
1 Bale or Bag Pro-Mix - Available just about anywhere. Metro Mix also works
1 Bag Composted Cow Manure -Not mandatory but def helps with nutes
Wood Ashes
20-20-20 water soluble fertilizer
1000W HID
Ventilation
Mix promix and manure about 80/20...don't worry about being ultra precise
mix 1 cup ashes/bucket with promix mixture
I usually just put the germinated seed directly into the bucket and keep the light about 4 ft above it and move it up as it grows. Its important to train them to stay low as most indoor grows have height issues. If not...let em grow! Its important to mention that I've never used any type of grow tent, so a 1000 watt HID light is probably overkill and cause too much heat. A 600 watt light or a decent LED setup should work just about as well.
Regarding water, I water every day or every other day as they get to be a few nodes bigger. I typically use a gallon per day of water, with .5 to 1 TBS 20-20-20 every week. I usually give at least a gallon/day but sometimes more depending on how they look or until water comes out the bottom.
I leave lights on 18/24 for active growth...some use 24/24 initially but I don't personally. Turning lights to 12/24 will cause plants to change from growing to flowering. Some plants (autoflowering) will flower regardless of time period...I'm unfamiliar with these and can't offer any advice on them. You might want to cut back on the nitrogen ( the "N" or 1st number of the 20-20-20 fertilizer number, but it isn't mandatory. I continue feeding weekly until the last 2 weeks, when I let them go hungry.
This method is simple and foolproof. It doesn't require any special potions or fertilizers or nutes and will provide a better result than you thought possible. Once you can grow something simple and easy, you can then add to your own special formula and tweak it to try for better results. If you follow this plan, you will NOT have any issues unless you have very funky water, although I've never had any problems with the water around here (Ohio/Pennsylvania). I try to keep temps as close to 80F as possible, but try to avoid anything over 85 degrees if possible
Rome wasn't built overnight and don't expect to have your 1st grow to be the same as someone's who has done it for years. Keep track of things you change and don't be afraid to experiment after you have something solid to work from. This has ALWAYS worked and is a great start for a first timer. Hydroponics is tougher than most realize...the promix is considered soil-less but is similar to growing in dirt. Coco is probably about the same, but I've never used it yet.
I'm sure that I've overlooked something, but this should suffice to get you going. I'm sure there will be other suggestions added to this thread, but I just wanted to put down something very simple and foolproof, since so many tend to overthink the grow.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I've been perusing the new posts and the most common thread's subject is 1st timers having issues. Growing can be as simple as popping a pill in the dirt to something just shy of a nuclear reactor. The process I've used for decades is simple, foolproof, and I've NEVER had a problem that wasn't because of something I did. If asked, I would recommend this method until you get a little more comfortable with some of the methods described for training and diagnosing any problems that might pop up. This is the indoor mix that I've used and never had any problems. It can be tweaked when you get more experienced, but it is very simple..I use 5 or 6 gallon buckets but anything that is drained should work...the bigger the better.
Wood Ashes
1000W HID
Ventilation
I usually just put the germinated seed directly into the bucket and keep the light about 4 ft above it and move it up as it grows. Its important to train them to stay low as most indoor grows have height issues. If not...let em grow! Its important to mention that I've never used any type of grow tent, so a 1000 watt HID light is probably overkill and cause too much heat. A 600 watt light or a decent LED setup should work just about as well.
Regarding water, I water every day or every other day as they get to be a few nodes bigger. I typically use a gallon per day of water, with .5 to 1 TBS 20-20-20 every week. I usually give at least a gallon/day but sometimes more depending on how they look or until water comes out the bottom.
I leave lights on 18/24 for active growth...some use 24/24 initially but I don't personally. Turning lights to 12/24 will cause plants to change from growing to flowering. Some plants (autoflowering) will flower regardless of time period...I'm unfamiliar with these and can't offer any advice on them. You might want to cut back on the nitrogen ( the "N" or 1st number of the 20-20-20 fertilizer number, but it isn't mandatory. I continue feeding weekly until the last 2 weeks, when I let them go hungry.
This method is simple and foolproof. It doesn't require any special potions or fertilizers or nutes and will provide a better result than you thought possible. Once you can grow something simple and easy, you can then add to your own special formula and tweak it to try for better results. If you follow this plan, you will NOT have any issues unless you have very funky water, although I've never had any problems with the water around here (Ohio/Pennsylvania). I try to keep temps as close to 80F as possible, but try to avoid anything over 85 degrees if possible
Rome wasn't built overnight and don't expect to have your 1st grow to be the same as someone's who has done it for years. Keep track of things you change and don't be afraid to experiment after you have something solid to work from. This has ALWAYS worked and is a great start for a first timer. Hydroponics is tougher than most realize...the promix is considered soil-less but is similar to growing in dirt. Coco is probably about the same, but I've never used it yet.
I'm sure that I've overlooked something, but this should suffice to get you going. I'm sure there will be other suggestions added to this thread, but I just wanted to put down something very simple and foolproof, since so many tend to overthink the grow.
Good advise, I started out the same way. 5 gallon bucket drilled holes in the bottom. Saturn 8 cool tube. Ruined a lot of buds in that room, but I learned from my mistakes. Only if I had The Farm back then I could of saved some of those buds.

B

BudGringo

Wood Ashes
1000W HID
Ventilation
Hi, I was wondering if you've automated you watering? I've built my own reflectors with 8 CFL bulbs in each, as well as a rack to hold them. I would be keen to find out what your watering technique is?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Hi, I was wondering if you've automated you watering? I've built my own reflectors with 8 CFL bulbs in each, as well as a rack to hold them. I would be keen to find out what your watering technique is?

I use a very technical method for watering whiv
ch requires the pre-purchase of a gallon of Lemon Blend dring mix. Once I drink the gallon jug, I rinse it out a few times and refill it with commercial grade Dihydrogen Oxide, which is easily found almost everywhere. (as a shortcut for those who aren't chemistry majors...I use an empty gallon jug and use it to make watering easy...Dihydrogen Oxide is another name for water!)
Jokes aside, I use roughly 1 to 1.5 gallons of water a day typically. The buckets need to have 4 or 5 holes in the bottom to allow excess water to drain out, otherwise you might get root rot, or drown them. If the plant seems to dry out too easily, you can put a tray under the bucket to catch any water than drains out too quickly. If the plant seems like it needs more water, don't be afraid to give it what it wants, since the excess will either be used or evaporate. I use Promix because it doesn't get waterlogged as long as you have holes in the bottom for drainage. When initially filling the buckets with your Promix mixture, be sure to tamp it down because it tends to shrink after a while and will need water more often. I simply pour the water into the bucket daily, or every other day if they still have some water in the overflow pan (if you use one). Once a week (after things grow for about 2-3 weeks from a seed, I start adding the fertilizer, with 1 tablespoon per gallon (I use 1 gallon max per plant of fertilizer/water). If your lower fan leves start turning yellow prior to flowering, you mght need to add a little more nitrogen, but once a week is usually good...a few yellow leaves aren't unusual but if you stert seeing more than one or two here and there, you might have a problem. This method usually will be free from fertilizer problems...save the info for the next grow and correct it then.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Good explanation and tips here from @Jimster.

I would like to add that environment is the most important factor. Proper feeding and watering won’t help much if the temp, humidity, air flow, circulation and lighting is not dialed in to a good grow environment for each stage of plant growth.

This gets complicated with many different variables for each of our situations.

I believe a proper healthy environment helps the plants get through most of our grower errors. And gives much higher quality when done properly.

No offense to the nute sellers but fertilizer is pretty much all the same and if reasonable quality and complete for the medium used it will all give the same results.

I still use the old botanicare pure blend pro grow. No need even for their bloom product. It’s mis-marketed and pk boosting is mostly not needed.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I overlooked mentioning the environment, mostly because mine hasn't changed and I overlooked it's importance. I use a bright white paint on all walls to reflect about half the light that hits it, which helps greatly. Currently, my temps is about 75 (I prefer it closer to 80-85) and my humidity is about 40% (I typically like it a little higher, but not too much higher...the current cold spell has lowered both a little. I'm all excited with this fancy new technology I have...for the 1st time in decades I used a light meter and a thermometer/hydrometer. Light is probably the most important issue, IMHO. A friend has the same strains and setup, but only half the lights and it makes a huge difference. I start mine as beans (usually) under 1000W Hortilux Blue Eye, and I never had any problems except burning when I got too lazy to keep them from getting too close, about 14 inches minimum. I'm surprised how close some get without showing any burning

Erick31876

Erick31876

I use a very technical method for watering whiv
ch requires the pre-purchase of a gallon of Lemon Blend dring mix. Once I drink the gallon jug, I rinse it out a few times and refill it with commercial grade Dihydrogen Oxide, which is easily found almost everywhere. (as a shortcut for those who aren't chemistry majors...I use an empty gallon jug and use it to make watering easy...Dihydrogen Oxide is another name for water!)
Jokes aside, I use roughly 1 to 1.5 gallons of water a day typically. The buckets need to have 4 or 5 holes in the bottom to allow excess water to drain out, otherwise you might get root rot, or drown them. If the plant seems to dry out too easily, you can put a tray under the bucket to catch any water than drains out too quickly. If the plant seems like it needs more water, don't be afraid to give it what it wants, since the excess will either be used or evaporate. I use Promix because it doesn't get waterlogged as long as you have holes in the bottom for drainage. When initially filling the buckets with your Promix mixture, be sure to tamp it down because it tends to shrink after a while and will need water more often. I simply pour the water into the bucket daily, or every other day if they still have some water in the overflow pan (if you use one). Once a week (after things grow for about 2-3 weeks from a seed, I start adding the fertilizer, with 1 tablespoon per gallon (I use 1 gallon max per plant of fertilizer/water). If your lower fan leves start turning yellow prior to flowering, you mght need to add a little more nitrogen, but once a week is usually good...a few yellow leaves aren't unusual but if you stert seeing more than one or two here and there, you might have a problem. This method usually will be free from fertilizer problems...save the info for the next grow and correct it then.
The lemon drink, do you drink it all at once, or do you drink it in several cups? Lol, jk. Good stuff. I started in 5 gallon buckets also and with 600 watt mh/hps. I learned a LOT from my mistakes. This is definitely great info for beginners.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Here are a few lousy pictures of the "Never Fail" method I referred to. This is roughly 40 days of 12/12 (started Oct 4th). Everything looks pretty good and still have a few more weeks to fatten up. Please excuse the light/dark lines running thru the pictures...stupid phone camera!
The bottom picture is from a 35 year old Matanuska Thunderf%%k seed that is a 100% sativa as far as I know. Outdors is best as they grow VERY tall (14 ft) and get lanky. The top picture is Grand-daddy purple (I think...might have mixed some up) and the 2nd picture is a very old 3+ year old plant I call the Blood Plant, from when I cut my finger and incorporated it into the dirt. I think (from memory) that it is a hybrid between a Indica and the Matanuska strain...if not it is a pheno of the Matanuska strain...but I'm fairly sure it is a separate strain. The 3rd picture is from a current strain...maybe Durban Poison. It was a clone given to me...the buds look similar to newer genetics and are frosty.

20181115 134057
20181115 141027
20181115 141227
20181115 141832
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom