Never introduced myself, been lurking for some time

• Thread starter shenkerism
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shenkerism

shenkerism

5 years ago I started work at a BIG indoor medical grow in OR, it switched to Rec, got lots of investment and I wound up becoming a sort of maintenance person for the whole farm. Lights, fertigation systems, facilities maintenance.

I learned a LOT and one thing I learned in particular (after interacting with a lot of other farmers) was that a decent percentage of grows operate mostly on knowledge passed from older farmers, things someone read in a book once, or things someone tried and found success with. From the maintenance perspective this was somewhat frustrating. The farm I was working was hyperfocused on using state-of-the-art equipment and methods, which meant many things being imported into cannabis from other sectors of agriculture. Anytime I looked for information about using a new product with Cannabis specifically, I found that I was mostly on my own, or I needed to wait till 2 AM so I can call someone in The Netherlands for technical support.

Eventually I realized that networking with other farmers was the best way to establish best practices in a old-but-young industry. I made some accounts and joined some forums, and I've been lurking ever since. Recently found work in a new farm, with new challenges, and LOTS of problems that need some help.

My goals:
1. To try and lend the limited experience I have with some products and businesses (and non-cannabis maintenance practices) to the general knowledge pool.
2. To learn from those with decades more experience than I have, and use knowledge to cut through residual "my uncle's step-brother's dad did it that way and he always had the dankest" type knowledge.

shenkerism

shenkerism

I'd also like to add as a separate post:
I don't look down on the Yoda --> Dooku --> Qui-Gon Jinn --> Obi-Wan Kenobi, way of passing down knowledge. I think some things may never have made it this far without that knowledge. I do feel that illegalization led to this information never making it very far outside the farm. Now that so many states have legalized, and federal legalization is probably only a few general elections away, it's time to share. Beginner farmers in other industries have so many resources to use, and I think the tendency is for cannabis farmers to feel like they don't.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
My Father taught me how to grow he also taught me as a Apprentice Horticulturist for 4 years the old ways deep runs in this One Drop . 😉

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Welcome to the farm. Lots of like minded farmers here with a plethora of knowledge and experience. Glad to have you here as well. Happy grows.
Burnz

Latest posts

Top Bottom