New 2000w Under Current Room w/ Scrog Design - How's it looking so far?

• Thread starter Hythloth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hythloth

It's pretty warm in my area, regularly hitting 110F or more during the summer, so i've trying to make sure I keep the room cool enough. I also have to stick with a low plant count to comply with the laws in my state. Here's what i'm thinking about doing so far:

http://i.invalid.com/MnMGi.jpg

I'm hoping any heat from the chiller might be quickly sucked out through the filter in the corner, but if it becomes a problem, i can just move the chiller closer to the filter and make a mini duct for it to exhaust right into the side of the filter. I also have that extra 8 tube T5 that i'm not sure what to do with. I might just retire it since i'll be vegging in that tent. I suppose it's a good backup light to have in case I get some wild mothers, but then i'd have to make sure the closet was sealed from the main room. I could also try using it for some side lighting in the last few weeks but really, i dont think that would be necessary.

If this ends up being too warm during the summer, the next step would be to add fresca sol platinum water cooled tubes to the hoods along with some ice boxes and another chiller, but i'd only do that if absolutely necessary.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions are welcome.

O

oskiwosky

looks great
like the drawings/plans
will your ducting be insulated?

H

Hythloth

looks great
like the drawings/plans
will your ducting be insulated?

Thanks!. Yup definitely insulated ducting.

Sik Bro! Looks Great! Someone's done there homework! Props!! What size AC you gonna run in there?

Thanks man. i've been researching nonstop lately. Today the subject was nutes (H&G, canna, DM). I have central air. It's just a normal bedroom, and the central air will be going full blast this summer.

If the room ends up needing additional cooling, I'll start adding ice boxes, an additional chiller, and fresca sol platinum tubes that would fit in my magnum reflectors just fine.

H

Hythloth

We had one of our first pretty warm days over 85 degrees yesterday, so I ran a test with the door shut and the central AC on. I had my two 8 tube T5 fixtures running as well, just to see what the temps would be like.

Unfortunately the central AC didn't even come close to keeping that room cool even with the two T5 fixtures running. That's about 864 watts total. It got up to 93 degrees pretty fast. T5s that size actually seem harder to cool than a regular air cooled 1000w HID reflector. I'm going to have to get some water cooling equipment sooner than I thought. I'll try a 1/2HP chiller outside the room connected to an 8" Ice Box and see what that does.

H

Hythloth

any room for window ac?

I live in an HOA so a window ac wouldn't work since they look ugly from outside lol.

Also, i want to do everything possible to make water cooling work before i use AC as a last resort. Water cooling seems way more efficient with much less power usage.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
pvc screen

heres some pix of my screen setup

118786d1292399601-motherlodes-first-uc-run-white-fire-3-come-waters-fine-12_14_1.jpg.att

118792d1292399601-motherlodes-first-uc-run-white-fire-3-come-waters-fine-12_14_7.jpg.att

118793d1292399601-motherlodes-first-uc-run-white-fire-3-come-waters-fine-12_14_8.jpg.att

to build it you need:

4 - 4way 1"
2 - 5way 1"
4 - 3way 1/2"
2 - 4way 1/2"

I made feet from elbows that I drilled a hole through and attached to the floor - its a good idea to somehow do this or they might just push the screen up - lol

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Fitt...e-Fitting.aspx

get online - I remember them being pretty quick

make sure you get 4 way and not cross ones - youll see what I mean

I used a 4 x 16 ag net on top to give it 2 layers and more holes - usually I use metal fencing for the lower level but I wanted to be able to lift pots and check roots

good luck with your grow

C

caperdude420

this is awsome, but when the plants get high enough for the netting, are you going to keep bending them down or let them grow threw the net, and then just leave them go??

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

I would get a min-split brother. If you are venting you can put the compressor in or garage or run it outside the room and will do the job. I to live in a desert and it was the best investment I ever made. Also at 24k btu's it only needed a 20amp breaker to run it. This may enable me to grow through the summer at 118F. I hope...LOL. nice grow and best of luck to ya!

osidecannabis

osidecannabis

It's pretty warm in my area, regularly hitting 110F or more during the summer, so i've trying to make sure I keep the room cool enough. I also have to stick with a low plant count to comply with the laws in my state. Here's what i'm thinking about doing so far:

http://i.invalid.com/MnMGi.jpg

I'm hoping any heat from the chiller might be quickly sucked out through the filter in the corner, but if it becomes a problem, i can just move the chiller closer to the filter and make a mini duct for it to exhaust right into the side of the filter. I also have that extra 8 tube T5 that i'm not sure what to do with. I might just retire it since i'll be vegging in that tent. I suppose it's a good backup light to have in case I get some wild mothers, but then i'd have to make sure the closet was sealed from the main room. I could also try using it for some side lighting in the last few weeks but really, i dont think that would be necessary.

If this ends up being too warm during the summer, the next step would be to add fresca sol platinum water cooled tubes to the hoods along with some ice boxes and another chiller, but i'd only do that if absolutely necessary.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions are welcome.

1) i do not let my room go over 82*f, there is no way you will be able to do this with those outside temps. the ducting run has 4-45* turns, and is how long, looks to be about 30ft, that is way to much for a 8in inline, you need to keep them as short and straight as possible. your water chiller will put out a fare amount of heat as well, im a big fan of putting all the heat causing items outside of the room.

2) the 6in carbon filter, do you have a intake for that, is that intake filtered?
also, co2, where is that coming from? bottle, burner or intake?

3) t5's, as you found out, put off a bit of heat as well, i have a forced 6in intake w/filter that blows into my veg room, which is contained in my flower room, to cool my t5, stays around 70, it exhaust into the flower room.

Also, i want to do everything possible to make water cooling work before i use AC as a last resort. Water cooling seems way more efficient with much less power usage.

4) it could be true in some/few cases, being a former hvac tech, heating, air conditioning and ventilation, but as a whole, a/c's run very efficiently. i would highly recommenced a split system a/c, the were almost designed for indoor growing.

5) more oscillating fans, you have the space, they help prevent bud rot and pm.

looks good other than those ares.

I

IVIars

Try pulling air from inside the house for the lights. Itll help keep the temps more consistent

H

Hythloth

1) i do not let my room go over 82*f, there is no way you will be able to do this with those outside temps. the ducting run has 4-45* turns, and is how long, looks to be about 30ft, that is way to much for a 8in inline, you need to keep them as short and straight as possible. your water chiller will put out a fare amount of heat as well, im a big fan of putting all the heat causing items outside of the room.

I'm not pulling in any air from the outside. I'm maintaining a constant 74 degrees indoors using my central HVAC, so I don't think the outside temperatures should effect anything that much right? I do agree on the bends in the ducting, but that's something i don't have much control over since my intake for cool air, and my exhaust port to the attic both have to be on the same side of the room. My attic slopes over that room by only a few feet inward, so i don't have access to the attic from anywhere else.
2) the 6in carbon filter, do you have a intake for that, is that intake filtered?
also, co2, where is that coming from? bottle, burner or intake?

The carbon filter was just going to act as a scrubber. I was going to just set a 6" fan on top of it, and maybe add an extra ice box for additional ambient cooling. As for the co2, that's not something i've figured out yet, but i'll probably just get some co2 canisters from the hydro shop until I can afford to add a dd one of those water cooled HydroGen Pro co2 generators.
3) t5's, as you found out, put off a bit of heat as well, i have a forced 6in intake w/filter that blows into my veg room, which is contained in my flower room, to cool my t5, stays around 70, it exhaust into the flower room.

That's a pretty nice idea. I'll see if i can find a way to do an intake like that for my tent if I decide to keep the T5s. I might just put an air cooled 400w MH in my veg tent instead though so it will be easier to cool, then attach it with a Y connector to my existing ducting
4) it could be true in some/few cases, being a former hvac tech, heating, air conditioning and ventilation, but as a whole, a/c's run very efficiently. i would highly recommenced a split system a/c, the were almost designed for indoor growing.

A split AC would be nice, but it's not in my budget right now since it would cost a couple thousand extra to get setup. I'm also determined to try and stick with water cooling. Once I get the extra cash, i think i'd be more likely to put a 2-3HP chill king outside next to my HVAC unit, assuming I have no issues with my HOA.
5) more oscillating fans, you have the space, they help prevent bud rot and pm.

I agree. I'll probably add a few wall mounted oscillating fans as soon as I get everything else in there, so I can figure out the best spots for them.

Try pulling air from inside the house for the lights. Itll help keep the temps more consistent

The air is being pulled from my loft which is an indoor room in my house right on the other side of the wall, so that's all taken care of.

Thanks for your input everyone :)

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Make sure to do your homework brother on the water cooling deal. There is a major learning curve. In order for us to have cooled our nursery for our little collective it would have been 3-4 times the cost in electricity in order to run everything. Air handler, icebox's, pumps, ect. There is a thread on here that goes over water cooling. It is a great concept but has not been perfected yet. Especially when you can get a 18 seer 24k btu mini-split that will run at a little over 1300 watts and cool room with 5 lights and it runs on a 20amp breaker.

Best of luck to you and a very nice grow brother.

H

Hythloth

Especially when you can get a 18 seer 24k btu mini-split that will run at a little over 1300 watts and cool room with 5 lights and it runs on a 20amp breaker.

Can you tell me what unit that is that you're referring to? It seems super efficient. I found a Fridrich M24CG which is 24k btu and 17.5 seer, but it uses 2400 watts.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Fujitsu 24cl 24200 btu unit

P.S. also the formula for wattage used is take the btu and devide it by the seer and that will give you the wattage.

H

Hythloth

Unexpected cash infusion came in. Now I can get more equipment sooner. If anyone has any other ideas to improve this setup even further, i'd like to hear your thoughts :)

H

Hythloth

Fujitsu 24cl 24200 btu unit

P.S. also the formula for wattage used is take the btu and devide it by the seer and that will give you the wattage.

Ah that makes sense. the 17-18 seer units use much less power than i thought. Thanks for the info.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Yea brother... they are the way to go and are super quiet. Like I said the wattage used in water cooling was going to kill me. Like you some money came in and I went ahead and did the deed.

glad I could help.

H

Hythloth

I've still been doing research and working on my plan for everything. I'll be able to buy all my equipment in about 1 more week.

I changed the location of the intake to shorten the path a bit and make it more direct. I also decided to put my two 8 tube T5s over a couple of 2x4 flood tables and put them in the closet, just so I can have a bit of fun using two different hydro methods and experiment a bit. Each T5 will have four warm and four cool bulbs. It's also a nice backup in case one method fails. Then in the tent, i'll add an 8" Blockbuster or Radiant reflector with a 600w MH.

The one thing i've been rethinking is the reflectors for the UC system. Originally I was going to do two XXXL Magnums, but after reading a bit more, its seems like people are mostly saying that they're good for 5x5 spaces only, and if you have a 4x4 space, you're better going with a Blockbuster or Radiant reflector since those do more intense 4x4 coverage.

What do you guys think based on my setup? Will the magnums waste too much light off to the sides, or will they be perfect for a 4x8 scrog?

http://i.invalid.com/pLwLe.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom