New Ablaze Vac Chamber Question

• Thread starter Saint Skinny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Howdy Farmers and Farmettes!
Im upgrading from a mason jar! I just got my 1.5 qt vacuum chamber from amazon, and I had a question I was hoping someone could help me out with. I was reading the warning on the gauge and it said something about cutting the top off or piercing a hole. I think they are referring to the little rubber deal on the top, but I wanted to ask someone who has experience with vac gauges/chambers. So, do I have to pierce/cut this thing off?
Vac gauge
Vac gauge2

mandalaman

mandalaman

You do cut the nipple. The nipple is hollow so you just want to expose a tiny hole. I Cut the part right where it turns to skinny. Half way between the top of the nipple and the base of the gauge. I believe that is to allow the oil inside the gauge to equalize, which will allow it to give accurate readings for your altitude. I also heard you can simply remove the cap to "burp" it and replace to the same effect - I'm not positive though. I just used a razor blade.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I don't see a calibration screw on the face of that gauge, which is a feature that I've found useful, if not important.

A bourdon gauge is a flat thin wall tube wound in a spiral and closed on the ends, so that pressure changes cause it to coil and uncoil enough to operate the gauge needle through a gear. This coiling and uncoiling causes the spiral to change its zero over time, so needs to be readjusted or some other arrangement made to keep track of the variance.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Really appreciate the input, all. Adjusting for atmospheric pressure makes perfect sense, it should have said that on the instructions. I found myself having a hard time taking a razor blade to my brand new toy without knowing why I was doing it. Now that I know the purpose I feel much better. the only other question is, what to use to make the hole?
Razor? needle? meat cleaver? samurai sword? hatchet? chainsaw? plasma cutter? a friggin light saber?

decisions, decisions. lol

I don't see a calibration screw on the face of that gauge, which is a feature that I've found useful, if not important.

A bourdon gauge is a flat thin wall tube wound in a spiral and closed on the ends, so that pressure changes cause it to coil and uncoil enough to operate the gauge needle through a gear. This coiling and uncoiling causes the spiral to change its zero over time, so needs to be readjusted or some other arrangement made to keep track of the variance.
Thats pretty cool, I love knowing how stuff like that works. It doesn't appear to have a calibration screw, I suppose I could always replace the gauge, when it gets tired, with a gauge that does have a calibration mechanism.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Probably mah trusty Case stainless executive lock back that I always carry. Maybe a razor blade, exacto knife, scapel, or pair of dikes if I was caught without it.

Top Bottom