New Breeder ~ looking for tips/ help :)

• Thread starter theFalcon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

theFalcon

Greetings all ,
i am glad i found this forum - very good info and knowledgeable peeps around here!
so to introduce myself i have been growing over 30 yrs and have done over 20 outdoor crops in that time. in the past i was not a legal patient so i did stealth grows around the city and countryside. at that time i always kept my best males and would pollinate a few branches of every plant. i started with around 10 strains -some from seed some from clones. every year i only kept seeds from plants that matured in time and were very stony and good producers. after 6 yrs or so of this i ended up with around 5-6 phenos that would appear and never got a bad plant. around the 10 yr mark of working with these genetics i made a bad decision and the MAN caught me with 13 females almost ready to harvest and i lost ALL my genetics ...:(

so now to the present - i am a legal grower and caretaker - and i want to start over creating a genetic pool to draw from. i hate paying crazy $s for seeds or clones over and over ....

so this is what i am up to now ~ i acquired some Genetics a friend of a friend brought over from Afghanistan around 30 yrs ago (they kept the genetics pure crossing it against itself all these years ). i have the strain and 2 crosses
- 1 X Purple Kush & 1 X G13 . the OG strain is a Hashmaking strain that grows very squat and strong - THC tested at 21.5 and 20.5 on two tests i had run.
so far i have crossed the OG strain with a Headband (will name Headplant when stable ) and a Trainwreck ( Hashwreck when rdy! ) i also have a dutch treat , jack frost and a few other stable strains i want to cross.

my question is what should i do to end up with a stabilized strain from these crosses. before i never cared but now patients need/want strains that stay the same. i have read alot of threads here but often the terms get over my head ... :help: can any one put in laymens terms a process to stabilize a strain ? would certain strains be better to cross with my afghan genetics?
i will post up more pics tonite when i get a chance but heres 2 of the PK X phenos i have going. i crossed them back with a male from my 1st sprouting so i will have a good supply of seeds to work with.
the chunky one is very hashy smelling and the more slender one has a strong orange odor. i cant wait to see how they finish - i think i am around week 5 now + or - a day or two.

so any thoughts , comments or suggestions appreciated ~ thanks:bong2:

Rsz hppk
F

FruitOfTheLabor

30 years of inbreeding? or wat?? i thought after a certain amount of time it starts to degrade and shit?

but anyways.. a lot o ff people are doing this honestly.. if ur going to do it.. u better start of fast.. and do it right. cause theres only so much time for new breeders to have a chance in this business

T

theFalcon

30 years of inbreeding? or wat?? i thought after a certain amount of time it starts to degrade and shit?

but anyways.. a lot o ff people are doing this honestly.. if ur going to do it.. u better start of fast.. and do it right. cause theres only so much time for new breeders to have a chance in this business

30 years he kept crossing the seeds he brought back. he started with a nice stash of beans . the herb is spectacular - very stony and a nice sharp pungent flavor. i am not looking to open a business per se but just serving my own needs /desires and those of the patients i help.

my 1st few seeds are up of a Headband cross i did with the strain pictured. they are looking good and the nodal spacing is much tighter than the headband had. i cant wait to taste it! i will post a few pics of the babies soon.
also have a dozen or so beans popped of a trainwreck cross- it is looking promising too.

as well i am have a few autos starting and i am going to cross them as well to try to get a auto strain developed.

take care~

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

its all about selecting the same traits each time and working toward keeping that desired trait each and every time when breeding back and forth etc etc.
good luck

good luck with your breeding project :yes

T

theFalcon

well i never have "chucked " any pollen ... i have been creating my own seeds and selecting for my desired traits for around 20 yrs.(unf. due to the "man" before i was legal i lost all my genetics) in the past it was always out doors.
all my girls are tickled with a pollen tipped feather in a special location . people have been breeding plants long before there were any stickys or such ... if i keep selecting for my desired traits from a large enough gene pool i will eventually get what i am looking for -
i dont believe its "rocket science" although plenty of ppl take it to those levels.
i will keep posting the progress i make , i hope some of you tag along and offer some tips and /or suggestions if u see me missing something . so far i am very happy with how my 1st cross is looking altho i only have 4 plants i still have the same pollen saved and the same cut of headband i used to get these 4 to breed again.
any way thanks for the encouragement -

btw heres a pic of the previous plant - it got cut last nite ~ also full of beans from a boy of its same lineage. it is so pungent - stung my eyes to trim it !!! :dance:dance cant wait to smoke some! this strain also has a peculiar trait of growing buds/branches out of the fan leaf stems - i wish i had taken a pic of it ...trippiest thing i ever saw!

IMG 0172
IMG 0175
T

theFalcon

thats when you know its kill!

im along for the ride bro

Sweet i'm glad to have you here! my 1st thread / journal of my grow and you are my 1st person along for the ride ~ thanks alot~ the more the merrier :cool0019:

any way i wanted to mention i am growing organic/bio dynamic in a soiless mix i make. i am getting off the "bottle" lol ~~ i am making at this point 90% of what goes onto/into my plants. alot of the info i used to learn this came from this very forum :

too much useful info ! :cool
i am making AACT teas , FPE's , aerated plant teas and plant extracts. at this point i am also using the no-till method with my used soil. after a plant is harvested the main root mass is removed (about 1 gal) and i fill the hole with EWC , Coco coir and a mix of neem seed meal , karanja meal, alfalfa pellets, glacial rock dust , a bit of guano, crab meal and a handful of bokashi to top it off. after i soak it in with AACT & FPES with activated EM-1. i keep it moist with the same for 2-3 weeks. after that i open a hole for the next plant to fit in and top dress with a bit of hi quality compost. if i dig down to look for old roots after 2-3 weeks theres not much to be found and the soil is much richer than before! plants simply love it , they just take off~ Microbeman had the same planters going for 7 years before he had to stop using it, and it wasnt because it went bad/stopped working - he had other reasons he had to stop.

the Bio Dynamic Revolution is coming !!! Hop on board and get off the BOTTLE!!! :big_boss::cool0010::cool0010::cool0010::wazzup::rock:rock:rock

M

moemoe08

I'll tag along for the ride. its not rocket science. chemdog got lucky experimenting with elite genetics. you're definitely a breeder if you've been done it for twenty years.

B

bckwht

im interested in this for sure man, love when people show up here and dont tute there own horn and go on and on and on about how they got the best shit most fire etc..i dont care to hear that bullshit man im glad to have someone humble around thats willing to share there time

I agree with it not being rocket science..if you love green like I/most of us do, like true passion for it, then i dont think its real hard getting to know ur plants and what you want etc..now some people just dont have that passion and connection with there plants and for them they think it needs to be rocket science..just like people who grow in a closet with a small fan and light and they come out with the exact same quality product as alot of people who grow in completely environmetally controlled rooms w/co2 and the works..everyones different, it is what it is

slausongardens

slausongardens

i dont really seperate that whole breeder/ pollen chucker thing.. if youre crossing two plants together and making a whole new hybrid, that is breeding, you might not be a professional or anything but you are breeding, just havent taken it to the next levels.

dj short spends years making a plant stable, backcrossing, incrossing, inbreeding, doing whatever, shanti and the other big dogs too, they are professional "breeders" but then theres people like raskal that are just femming shit and/or chucking pollen and making strains a million times better just because they are using way better genetics.

i dont care how much you know about breeding, if youre not using good genetics you arent going to make something crazy dank, and on the other hand, if you dont know about breeding but have top notch genetics, you will make more top notch genetics just by chucking a little pollen.

start off with bomb genetics and then teach yourself how to select for specific traits and then just be patient and take youre time.

im just a pollen chucker tho i guess cuz im not trying to make some true breeding super stable line, im just trying to cross two strains and get some funky dank phenos out of the seeds. and ive been lucky and getting the fire most the time.

Top Bottom