New Brit on board: Hello THC Farmers, one and all..

• Thread starter WankirA
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WankirA

WankirA

Hello all.
Am a brand new grower from South Devon, UK .

After experiencing some supply issues recently, its become apparent I cant continue to rely on others for what is essentially “medicine” for me and my wife so despite the grey area, I decided to start a grow which is organically changing to a perpetual grow using some spare space I have and a newly acquired tent.

Currently in veg phase for my first grow, but due to flip to bloom this weekend, second grow is about 4 weeks behind (both on a 18 6 schedule) but in different spaces and have just dropped some seeds I acquired online and as a wild card, took a clone from my biggest girl.
If you have any advice, points to raise or just want to stop and smell the flowers, am completely open so please, let me have it.
Not sure if you want set up details (or even if this is the right place to do it yet) but happy to show my grow if anyone is nosey enough to ask.

Managed to get this far by researching the crap outta every source I can get my hands on, but reading doesn’t always give you the best advice, so that’s why I’m here and ready to learn.
Thanks for your time: I know its precious.

WankirA

WankirA

Hey there Bloodshot, thanks for being the first one in.

Ok so space 1 I have is a converted cupboard space which is just short of 3ft square by 8ft tall. Am using the space here for first 4- 6 weeks or so of vegging.
Have a 1000w (350 true w) led in there with ventilation from upright oscillating fan, space into the roof and vented shelving. That pic is a couple weeks old but at the moment i have 4 plants at week 4 which were from unknown seeds ( an experiment with a bag of 24 unknowns that were 3+ years old led to a little overcrowding )
20190519 162743
20190606 102122

Have managed to keep the best seven from the 21 that cracked and this is my nbr 2 (of 3) grow.
This is that space today...

A good space to start off 4.

Space 2 (but grow 1 - a pg120 tent) will be my main bloom area as of this weekend.
Have two LED units, one a 1000w (as above) and another 600w (285 true watts), 5 inch carbon filter humid packs and co2 pack just being activated for weekend. As well as a couple of oscillating fans for circulation, stem strength & temp control.

I have 3 Amnesias and an Ak47 which are due to flip.
20190626 122055

as well as the remaining 3 from the unknowns.
20190626 122120

This is them as of yesterday...

And finally my new girls
20190625 212042

I purchased these for differing reasons but mainly an approximation of a monthly cycle to be in place.
They have been in same hand mixed soil as i used for all plants (40 spaghum peat, 30% respectively of vermiculite & pearlite) since friday and are a smidge over 2 inches.
The clone is an experimental cutting from one of my big amnesia plants and is still holding out so finger crossed for that one.
Am waiting for my next round which will be Northern Lights autos being delivered today, but thats for a few weeks away yet.

Am using Biobiz nutes for all plants older than 10 days and formulex for seedlings and clone, trying to keep it as organic as possible.

Have used LST and topped grow 1 plants once, while i have topped grow 2 plants twice because there were a little on the small side. Add to that wee bit of defoliation to keep blockers in check.
Ph all feeds to 6.
So far no issues other than the occasional burnt leaf from splashes, except for my nbr 1 amnesia snapping twice while I was bending her over (women, amiright?! Sorry ladies I think i'm funy but not always, no offense meant).
However, bit of reinforced masking tape sorted and finally got all bud sites on a level footing and she is thriving so plants all getting an even 40000 lumens atm which i'll raise by 5000 or so a week till i hit 65-70k limit.

Questions?
Comment?
Feedback?
All welcome
I say this because I mean it: time is precious so thanks for popping in...

Last edited:
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

IMPRESSIVE, for a new grower. you have done your research well. There is only so much knowledge you can learn from reading, you have to then apply that knowledge. You can only get so much from academic and theoretical, get stuck into the practical, like you have. And you have dived into the deep end.

i think you'll be giving us tips soon.

i suppose the first rule of Scarface doesn't apply to us - don't get high on your own supply. You don't have to justify yourself to anyone - but we are into 'this thing of ours' to enjoy the end-product.

NICE WORK!

WankirA

WankirA

Hey there @Kampbe1l , you humble me.
Thanks for the kind words.
I do love herb since I got a taste living in Holland for a couple years, but only started looking into possibillities about 6 months ago. Absorbed as much as I could but gotta get dirt in the nails at some point right!
Which started with the cupboard, but got a bead on the tent and it's all been slowly worked out since middle of May.
We can but try.
I take every experience, good and bad, and try and make the best (just like the snapped Amnesia which is now my best girl!)
I'll definitely try and help out others when I can, after all if we aren't sharing then whats the point of the community, right!?
My only issue really is patience. No doubt I'm not alone there... :D
Thanks again.

WankirA

WankirA

show your stuff :)

Her is my (x2) snapped girl, she called Prince Albert:
20190626 210859

(not sure in views on naming then, just occurs to me that i can identify them each a little quicker.

Here you can see where i finally got her over, right in between the tape ..
20190626 210352

She is nice and level so am happy and she still growing...

So Members...
Question time: is it safe to take tape off of complete snaps after 10 days???

Thanks
W

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Her is my (x2) snapped girl, she called Prince Albert:
View attachment 877714
(not sure in views on naming then, just occurs to me that i can identify them each a little quicker.

Here you can see where i finally got her over, right in between the tape ..
View attachment 877715
She is nice and level so am happy and she still growing...

So Members...
Question time: is it safe to take tape off of complete snaps after 10 days???

Thanks
W
It's best to use nylon as it will stretch with new growth. I don't know about tape but you have paper towel or napkin or something under the tape and the stem has been growing you should be okay.

Welcome and very nice job.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey there Bloodshot, thanks for being the first one in.

Ok so space 1 I have is a converted cupboard space which is just short of 3ft square by 8ft tall. Am using the space here for first 4- 6 weeks or so of vegging.
Have a 1000w (350 true w) led in there with ventilation from upright oscillating fan, space into the roof and vented shelving. That pic is a couple weeks old but at the moment i have 4 plants at week 4 which were from unknown seeds ( an experiment with a bag of 24 unknowns that were 3+ years old led to a little overcrowding )
View attachment 877638View attachment 877639

Have managed to keep the best seven from the 21 that cracked and this is my nbr 2 (of 3) grow.
This is that space today...View attachment 877640
A good space to start off 4.

Space 2 (but grow 1 - a pg120 tent) will be my main bloom area as of this weekend.
Have two LED units, one a 1000w (as above) and another 600w (285 true watts), 5 inch carbon filter humid packs and co2 pack just being activated for weekend. As well as a couple of oscillating fans for circulation, stem strength & temp control.

I have 3 Amnesias and an Ak47 which are due to flip.
View attachment 877641

as well as the remaining 3 from the unknowns.
View attachment 877642
This is them as of yesterday...

And finally my new girls
View attachment 877643

I purchased these for differing reasons but mainly an approximation of a monthly cycle to be in place.
They have been in same hand mixed soil as i used for all plants (40 spaghum peat, 30% respectively of vermiculite & pearlite) since friday and are a smidge over 2 inches.
The clone is an experimental cutting from one of my big amnesia plants and is still holding out so finger crossed for that one.
Am waiting for my next round which will be Northern Lights autos being delivered today, but thats for a few weeks away yet.

Am using Biobiz nutes for all plants older than 10 days and formulex for seedlings and clone, trying to keep it as organic as possible.

Have used LST and topped grow 1 plants once, while i have topped grow 2 plants twice because there were a little on the small side. Add to that wee bit of defoliation to keep blockers in check.
Ph all feeds to 6.
So far no issues other than the occasional burnt leaf from splashes, except for my nbr 1 amnesia snapping twice while I was bending her over (women, amiright?! Sorry ladies I think i'm funy but not always, no offense meant).
However, bit of reinforced masking tape sorted and finally got all bud sites on a level footing and she is thriving so plants all getting an even 40000 lumens atm which i'll raise by 5000 or so a week till i hit 65-70k limit.

Questions?
Comment?
Feedback?
All welcome
I say this because I mean it: time is precious so thanks for popping in...
First grow? I am impressed at the amount of research and self education and planning you have done. It's very refreshing to see and you should be commended on it. I usually like all the introduction posts I see as new members are awesome but I felt the need to comment on this one.

Bravo sir!

WankirA

WankirA

It's best to use nylon as it will stretch with new growth.
Think your right here @PlumberSoCal, had a little dig and it may be healed but it is ten days of growth thinner than the rest of the stem: lesson learned, use a more flexible solution in future, will look at whats available for a better result; am minded that electrical tape might be strong enough and still have enough 'give' to better support the weight and take future growth into account. 👍

First grow? I am impressed at the amount of research and self education and planning you have done. It's very refreshing to see and you should be commended on it. I usually like all the introduction posts I see as new members are awesome but I felt the need to comment on this one.

Bravo sir!
Shucks !!! :D
Thank you @Aqua Man , I have put a lot of time an effort into my set up and though my practices are not set in stone, I feel validated that I'm on at least the correct functional 'arc' towards maximizing our obvious payoffs.
Appreciate this maybe more of a financial consideration for lots of people, for me its a labour of love: so its 100% or not at all as far as i'm concerned so let the learning continue.

Thanks all for stopping by
W✌

WankirA

WankirA

Good day all, busy weekend with all plants, the older ones where flipped, the younger ones where lst'd and the new girls were repotted.

Trying a new soil medium with the repotted babies, so report on that too

Also a couple of questions coming up for our more seasoned farmers...

So appreciate the feedbaack @Kampbe1l , always great to hear.

Alright @m8ty they are now 7 weeks old, on reflection I now know why they could've been bigger and that will benifit my newer and future grows, but on the whole, happy with them. I'll edit when i get home with newer pics but this was in sat morning in the tent
20190628 131353
)

Ok, well beyond flipping the main four, the 7 unknown strains are still growing like, well, weed....
But since they are currently housed between my veg space and my tent, im having to remove them in the evenings to ensure they dont get flipped early too.
So been using the time they are out of the tent for a little tlc in the form of lst.
Rosa getting some gardening wire to ensure leaves and budsites are getting light and air as well as positioning for as even a canopy as i can.

20190627 200708

Ghandi getting same treatment:
20190627 200713

Just for the record, while my initial foray into this world started with no specific plan towards impressing my own will on them in regards to lst/topping etc I have made use of most of the training methods simply because circumstances required. The unruley branches at the top from getting too high above itself, the poor shaping, snapped stems, etc etc. This has led me, inevitable, to mainlining.
Think one if my new girls is gon'get it!!
;)
Anyhow, those babies also needed a move this weekend.
20190629 090840

After a quick look at their root system, i think i want to stay ahead of the roots (can be seen just peeking out after day8)
20190629 091729

Same with the other two girls too.

So into new pots which wont be their forever home, but a more spacious pot for a couple weeks.
While i have the soil getting mixed imma do the clone too, a little early, i know, but mixing soil is a messy job and it was an experiment in of itself, so why not!

Talking of soil, have managed to get blocks of dried coco for next to nothing so will be introducing that into my soil/pearlite/vermiculite mix by reducing 10% from each.
And finally for the day here they are draining
20190629 095415

Still using seedling nutes but gave the soil mix a drenching with a quater ratio of biobiz grow. Will continue to mist the clone and be back in day or two with more.
Back on later though as i have questions for some pros.
For now, cheers
W

20190627 200711
20190630 171637
20190630 171428
Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

Good day all, busy weekend with all plants, the older ones where flipped, the younger ones where lst'd and the new girls were repotted.

Trying a new soil medium with the repotted babies, so report on that too

Also a couple of questions coming up for our more seasoned farmers...

So appreciate the feedbaack @Kampbe1l , always great to hear.

Alright @m8ty they are now 7 weeks old, on reflection I now know why they could've been bigger and that will benifit my newer and future grows, but on the whole, happy with them. I'll edit when i get home with newer pics but this was in sat morning in the tent
View attachment 878537)

Ok, well beyond flipping the main four, the 7 unknown strains are still growing like, well, weed....
But since they are currently housed between my veg space and my tent, im having to remove them in the evenings to ensure they dont get flipped early too.
So been using the time they are out of the tent for a little tlc in the form of lst.
Rosa getting some gardening wire to ensure leaves and budsites are getting light and air as well as positioning for as even a canopy as i can.

View attachment 878524

Ghandi getting same treatment:
View attachment 878525

Just for the record, while my initial foray into this world started with no specific plan towards impressing my own will on them in regards to lst/topping etc I have made use of most of the training methods simply because circumstances required. The unruley branches at the top from getting too high above itself, the poor shaping, snapped stems, etc etc. This has led me, inevitable, to mainlining.
Think one if my new girls is gon'get it!!
;)
Anyhow, those babies also needed a move this weekend.
View attachment 878529

After a quick look at their root system, i think i want to stay ahead of the roots (can be seen just peeking out after day8)
View attachment 878530
Same with the other two girls too.

So into new pots which wont be their forever home, but a more spacious pot for a couple weeks.
While i have the soil getting mixed imma do the clone too, a little early, i know, but mixing soil is a messy job and it was an experiment in of itself, so why not!

Talking of soil, have managed to get blocks of dried coco for next to nothing so will be introducing that into my soil/pearlite/vermiculite mix by reducing 10% from each.
And finally for the day here they are draining
View attachment 878531

Still using seedling nutes but gave the soil mix a drenching with a quater ratio of biobiz grow. Will continue to mist the clone and be back in day or two with more.
Back on later though as i have questions for some pros.
For now, cheers
W
Welcome, good to see someone-else did there research before starting. I am also on my first grow and researched as much as I can, practice makes perfect.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

so, you top it when its 3 or 5 nodes up, then you LTS those offshouts?

interested coz i'm about to do so... but i'm thinking i might be anxiously impatient, let it grow for a little more before topping first.

i'm about to buy 100 metres of plant tie for $5 for my LTS, when i get there.

i was wondering whether to add such coco to my current simple soil mix....better aeration.

WankirA

WankirA

Welcome, good to see someone-else did there research before starting. I am also on my first grow and researched as much as I can, practice makes perfect.
Thanks KJ, trying to keep up the homework, so much learned already bust soooo much to go...

Great first grow!

Awesome how many strains you are growing and doing a perpetual style. I plan to follow along.....

Really nice!

Glad to have anyne along for the ride KT. Stay tuned for an update. :)

interested coz i'm about to do so... but i'm thinking i might be anxiously impatient, let it grow for a little more before topping first.

i was wondering whether to add such coco to my current simple soil mix....better aeration.
Hey again @Kampbe1l , to be honest i topped them predominantly to keep them in check, though since I did it I have a better understanding & appreciation of the topping mechanics, which means more forward planning than i expected.
As a consequence I will be (attempting at least) mainlining the newest girls once I transplant to their next and forever home (10 g fabric pots). Sticking to a more defined schedule for topping will be more benificial in long run, certainly makes sense from a maintenance perspective: yield value isn't too shabby either.

Am struggling with the use of soil & coco mix, opinions tend to be less than positive, but with a week or so to go before they go into the 10g pots, i got time for more research .
20190703 195606

20190703 185114

20190703 185044

Back soon

Cheer
W

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

Thanks KJ, trying to keep up the homework, so much learned already bust soooo much to go...

Glad to have anyne along for the ride KT. Stay tuned for an update. :)

Hey again @Kampbe1l , to be honest i topped them predominantly to keep them in check, though since I did it I have a better understanding & appreciation of the topping mechanics, which means more forward planning than i expected.
As a consequence I will be (attempting at least) mainlining the newest girls once I transplant to their next and forever home (10 g fabric pots). Sticking to a more defined schedule for topping will be more benificial in long run, certainly makes sense from a maintenance perspective: yield value isn't too shabby either.

Am struggling with the use of soil & coco mix, opinions tend to be less than positive, but with a week or so to go before they go into the 10g pots, i got time for more research .
View attachment 879094

View attachment 879095

View attachment 879097

Back soon

Cheer
W
Awesome work man, plants are looking real nice!!! I think training them out like bonsai or something and trying to keep the ladies in line is one of my favourite parts of growing.
Looking forward to seeing them progress.

WankirA

WankirA

Day 8 of flower for the Amnesias and Ak47 and I've just completed a defoliation excercise undertaken to clear budsites from any covering fan leaves, making a point to only remove when its in direct conflict with budsites requirement for air and light.
20190704 123301

Additionally where leaves have to come off the plants, i've tried to remove only one of the paired fan leaves, to my mind if I 'have' to take their 'engines' its prudent that I take only one...🤔

20190704 123317

So with all flowers now getting fresh air and direct light I got in amongst the plants to measure how much light they are getting and meter showing the were getting approx 25k lux at canopy level.
So light position dropped to about 18 inches from canopy which is now giving them 30k - equal to a sunny day!

Blurple incoming
20190705 083743

Will monitor weekly and try to push 5k to 10k extra a week upto around 60/70k.
Beyond that its starts to fry the plants.

Will be feeding later today with Biobiz bloom and will give them a two step 1/2 strength pk boost, all received the feed before with no noticable issues coming to the fore, so plan to continue tge pk boosting for next 3-4 weeks in prep for the frostiness to come. 🤗

Cheers folks,
"Keep on keeping on"
W

Last edited:
Kushy Tushy

Kushy Tushy

I just bought plant tie too
D45B16B1 0D2C 49D0 ABD8 2DCAC93CE1FE

I haven’t topped yet, I’m waiting it out...I took some cuttings for clones yesterday and hope they make it!

Let us know how your topping goes....I’m interested to see pics!

Top Bottom