New chicken farmer

• Thread starter growsince79
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

So I just built a hen house and I'm getting 4 hens. Can I feed the garbage (leaf stems larf) to my girls? Welcome any tips for newbie.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
And what breed of bird will you be getting G79 good on you for getting chooks you won’t regret it . Od I’ve been keeping poultry for many many years the best animal to have in your system .

growsince79

growsince79

And what breed of bird will you be getting G79 good on you for getting chooks you won’t regret it . Od I’ve been keeping poultry for many many years the best animal to have in your system .
Not sure. The neighbors said when I build a coop they will give me hens. I have no clue about breeds. Just wanting fresh eggs. Built a 3_6_4ft coop and 100sqft run. I figured it would be big enough for 4_6. Does that sound right?

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

Not sure. The neighbors said when I build a coop they will give me hens. I have no clue about breeds. Just wanting fresh eggs. Built a 3_6_4ft coop and 100sqft run. I figured it would be big enough for 4_6. Does that sound right?

thats about the same size as my coop, six would fit comfortable.

growsince79

growsince79

They will be ok just keep them in the area you made they will settle in and get down to business. Od .
I'll take hen pics when I get them. Can they eat dry leaf/bud or does it need to be fresh green?
IMG 20200712 104804285

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

yeah definitely show them the water, make sure at least one hen knows its there... she will teach the others if one knows about it.

and yes, they will be a little home sick... more nervous and scared than anything.... short little wincing clucks are nervous, longer chirps are happy clucks. if they make a flutter sound it's their danger warning.

it could take a week or two till they eggs again... all depends on how happy they are. happy chickens lay eggs!!

mine love grapes and watermelon on hots days. pick up some of this: https://www.amazon.com/Rooster-Boos...eywords=rooster+booster&qid=1594680476&sr=8-6

with just a few birds it will last you over a year and thats at double the app rate!!!

but if you give them yummy treats they will warm up to ya in a few days!!

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

Not sure what breed. Maybe you know. I was told they will be old enough lay in a few weeks.

not sure about the all black ones but the speckled ones really look like a barred rock.

did ya get eggs yet?

Frosty78

Frosty78

Supporter
If you have cabbies or freshwater crayfish or basically any crustacean. Throw the shells over and watch them go nuts. Great for their shell grit and calcium to keep them producing.the y will will not produce for a couple of weeks until they feel comfortable. Also they will go off food for a couple of weeks in winter.
Great fertilizer and great eggs. Wait till you get a double holler... oh yeah.
I have Isa Brown's on my farm.
Lock them up every night or sly mr fox will get them

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Yes mine love the prawn shells , and the big greys we get in tassie are huge , what state of Australia are you in Frosty78. Regards Od .

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Plymouth Rock , not sure on the black ones either .
i'm a damn stoner...i got that same kind and am not sure the name.....little dark brown ones....word of caution ...my Plymouth Rock rooster is EVIL...lol

Top Bottom