New cloning technique?

• Thread starter Miked1988
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Miked1988

Miked1988

I saw this on Instagram thought it was kinda cool and it saves time and money on rock wool, clone domes and other cloning expenses..(and it saves you Incase a cutting doesn’t root you can’t just, try again lol) Looks like something cool to experiment with, especially with bigger plants..

Anybody ever seen or used anything like this before?

BigCube

BigCube

It's not a well known cloning method cause it has several down sides over normal cloning techniques for cannabis.

Its relatively slow compared to standard cloning techniques. The plant has to stay in veg while you do it or you'll end up with a clone in flower. The dirt and moisture ball make for a prime mold environment and the weight of it on a branch means the plant needs to be supported.

I've seen people do it with relative ease. I've seen them bend a branch down and bury it half way up a branch in the dirt and have it do the same thing. So no question it works, I dont know what advantages it would add. But I'm sure it has its place 👍

rayi

rayi

Works great if you have a small number of plants you can grow. Time it so you are cutting off the clone at the same time you are chopping a plant. Layering doesn't count as a plant

FourthCity

FourthCity

Works great if you have a small number of plants you can grow. Time it so you are cutting off the clone at the same time you are chopping a plant. Layering doesn't count as a plant
If you are cutting off the clones when you chop the plant then the clones will be in flower like Bigcube pointed out. They would need time (and a change in lighting) to get back into veg mode before they start growing normally. I think if you reveg the whole plant before taking cuttings using a more traditional method the clones will come out better.

rayi

rayi

Right. You have plant to chop. One more to start layering which is younger. You chop and plant clone you now have two plants. Put the mother into flower. In a few weeks layer again. Chop and plant clone when it's time. Sounds easy but it takes a while to get the timing down

rayi

rayi

Right. You have plant to chop. One more to start layering which is younger. You chop and plant clone you now have two plants. Put the mother into flower. In a few weeks layer again. Chop and plant clone when it's time. Sounds easy but it takes a while to get the timing down. I'm having a hard time explaining it but it's like a perpetual grow. One plant to chop. One plant in veg to clone. When the first plant is chopped take the clone off the second plant and put it into flower. Next wait a few weeks and layer the clone. If you get the timing down you are chopping one of plants and removing the colne from the other plants in veg.

BigCube

BigCube

I would rather not take my clones from a fully flowered and ready to harvest plant.
But that's me. As I said, I don't see any benefits over standard cloning. Maybe if you dont care about the time it takes and absolutely need to squeeze in one more clone, then there could be a use for it. But I don't see it.

Here in Canada our plant limit is 4. I often have 2 in veg and 2 in flower.

Once the plants are done flowering, I cull them, take clones from the vegging plants, then put the veg plants in the flower tent.

Never more than 4 plants, dont see how this cloning method would help.

NewWorld

NewWorld

I saw this on Instagram thought it was kinda cool and it saves time and money on rock wool, clone domes and other cloning expenses..(and it saves you Incase a cutting doesn’t root you can’t just, try again lol) Looks like something cool to experiment with, especially with bigger plants..

Anybody ever seen or used anything like this before?

Really considering trying this. I noticed other posts talking about being in flower? Not sure why, needs to be in Veg surely?
I've already been in Veg for 11 weeks. It's my 1st grow btw. I'm waiting on my zeus to be delivered before flipping to flower. I've scrogged, during this grow and i've practiced a lot of techniques.
Ive got my grow absolutely perfect so far :) so excited to flip.
However i'm not having my new lights delivered for 10 days. Kept the plants really low so far, so i now have a few options.

I can top them and use them for clones
Super crop the top and take cuttings off the bottom.
I could try taking tops using this technique. Potentially in 2 weeks i could have clones thats fully established with 5 or 6 nodes. Knocks a few weeks off veg times. Whats your thoughts on that? I'm a bit worried about causing rott.
Or Super crop the top and use this technique on lower stems, but they are far less developed, so probably would be no benefit to the usual cloning.

Like I said this is my 1st grow so don't really care about return. Just getting all my techniques sorted. If I do it, might record it as I'm sure a few people would be interested :)

Top Bottom