New cultured solutions nutes

• Thread starter ri420patient
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DapperDon

DapperDon

The "filtering" as Zurich noted is a side effect of large UC/RDWC style of grow systems. This is where a top feed halo ring or a hybrid of MPB comes in handy. But for sure the end buckets are the red headed stepchildren late to the dinner table on anything larger than a row of 6.

DapperDon

DapperDon

I'm so uber jealous that this giant awesome room exists but is being run by people who completely have no idea what they're doing.

Imma just go hang out in the lobby and let @DapperDon try and help this lost soul out lol =]
Everyone starts somewhere. We can only offer help, there is no law against people not taking it. It kind of reminds me of all these videos you see now with people wrecking their Ferraris and Lamborghinis. JK. I think our man Highland is going to get it dialed in real tight within the next few cycles. ;)

F

FooDoo

The "filtering" as Zurich noted is a side effect of large UC/RDWC style of grow systems. This is where a top feed halo ring or a hybrid of MPB comes in handy. But for sure the end buckets are the red headed stepchildren late to the dinner table on anything larger than a row of 6.

Since I don't grow trees, and my roots never get like that, in my db16, the last girls in back actually look the healthiest and are the tallast. But like I said, I don't grow trees so my situation does not apply

F

FooDoo

What are the average heights before harvest @FooDoo?

Last DH harvest, they were just over the top of the under current square cages. This time, my gsc is that tall but I'm only in week 3. So we'll see. My added humidity has really made for explosive growth

ri420patient

ri420patient

DapperDon

DapperDon

How tall are the cages @FooDoo ? Looks like things are getting a little tight in here as well. What are your ceiling heights @ri420patient ?

ZurichTheHunter

ZurichTheHunter

Hey DapperDan!
Is root filtering a common problem in UC Gardens?
We are running CS's full line in a test garden now. Our systems are 190 gallon UC16XL's - 3" bones with a 30 gallon epicenter. The system is UC with the exception of the epicenter and 3" PVC for the bones.
Recently, we have been thinking toying with the idea of splitting the systems in two.
30 days into a 110 day GSC run, the roots start growing into the bones. Every three days we are pulling roots out of pipes to keep the return pump from cavitating. We are growing in SCROG's and 65 to 70 days in, you can see the canopy color shift from a rich dark green in the front row seats to gradients of yellow as you move down the line.
We would like for each of our ladies to have a seat at the table. I know that it sounds a little institutional…. But we like for our ladies to have equality at the dinner table! J
What’s the word on the farm?
How is this creative community solving this problem without top feeding? We have tried giving our ladies a little juice from the top in the past and found it to be the equivalent of a personal invitation for pests and algae. These days we like to keep the medium as sterile as possible.
On a similar note, we had a really rough UC root experience last fall possibly worthy of sharing here.
The story goes like this….. In early October, we had a room that started showing signs of stunted leaf growth. The SCROG was pretty much full and they were ready to be turned to flower.
We started going down the UC bad shit that can happen checklist.
Literally, between day 3 and 4 of recognizing that we had a problem, I walked into the room and one of the ladies looked like she hadn’t been watered in a week. All the leaves on a plant with a 2.5” stalk were drooping. Normally, in veg we are running humidity in the 65% range. Our rooms are sealed room environments and have foliar misting systems. As soon as we saw the plants wilting, we cranked the humidity up to the 80% range in an effort to buy time, keeping the ladies alive while diagnosing the problem.
By day 5, with two more plants showing signs that they hadn’t received water in weeks, we went into triage mode. We cut the plants out of the SCROG, removed the SCROG so that we could pull plants and inspect the root zone – looking for pests and / or fungus or any other weird shit that can happen in a UC. It was heart breaking.
By then, it was clear the first plant that wilted (which we were keeping alive via foliar feeding) wasn’t going to make it if we didn’t act quickly. My Chika lifted the plant up out of the pot and a root mass that filled a 13 gallon bucket, connected to the stalk by 3 main large roots that sized anywhere from ½” to 1” literally fell off – all 3 roots severed at the net pot.
The roots had grown so big that they grew across multiple openings in the net pot. In other words…. The roots had grown thru one ¼” opening in the net pot. Then grew across the plastic to the next ¼” opening until it had grown big enough to have grown thru 4 holes in the net pot. Evidently, bacteria started forming between the plastic and the root and the root started rotting where the net pot plastic was cutting into it. All three major roots had grown the same way to varying degrees, and had rotted to the point where three of the four holes that the roots had grown across and thru were now severed by rot and the entire plant was being fed by one 1” root that lost 2 of the 4 connections the root had made thru the net pot to the stalk. A ¼” of root was now connecting 13 gallons of root mass to a 2.5” stalk. Those roots were browning quickly.
We cut the net pots off the plants and surgically removed the plastic pieces from the roots. It was awful. It literally took upwards of 2 to 3 hours per plant to cut the plastic out of the roots, cleaned the roots with an antiseptic (CS ROOT’s mix) and cake the wounds with rooting hormone. It looked like a nursing home.
We worked for the next 60 days trying to keep our ladies alive, hoping they could be saved. All plants were being kept alive by foliar feeding only.
As you can tell from the detail I have shared…… it was a pretty depressing to see those ladies go from being so healthy to fighting for their lives.
We had fatally lost 2 plants by that time and out of the remaining 14 plants, 11 were so injured that there was no hope of their tap roots healing. They kept building up slime around the root injury and we kept performing triage. They were only hanging on as a result of the foliar feeding. It felt like pulling the plug on your kids after a near fatal injury. We were only able to salvaged 3 of the 16 plants and lost close to 80 plus days of production time on that room.
Lots of lessons learned.
Anyway….. Root filtration is a serious issue that we are dealing with and would love a solution for. These plants in the UC love to run hard and fast and we like to keep the pedal to the metal! Would love some community input on how to “fix” the root filtering issue.

ri420patient

ri420patient

How tall are the cages @FooDoo ? Looks like things are getting a little tight in here as well. What are your ceiling heights @ri420patient ?

I have 8 foot ceilings I'm bending tbe ones down that are shooting past the lights under the top net first time running these misjudged flip

slimjimham

slimjimham

I'm getting good root mass in my uc, seems to be slow in my rdwc in veg (400w and 1000w) but plants look good.... using the cultured solutions line.... but fuck my roots haven't been ridiculous like that yet, but I'm only on my second harvest with it...

Am i missing something? What ppm do you run in veg?

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Hey DapperDan!
We are running CS's full line in a test garden now. Our systems are 190 gallon UC16XL's - 3" bones with a 30 gallon epicenter. The system is UC with the exception of the epicenter and 3" PVC for the bones.
Recently, we have been thinking toying with the idea of splitting the systems in two.
30 days into a 110 day GSC run, the roots start growing into the bones. Every three days we are pulling roots out of pipes to keep the return pump from cavitating. We are growing in SCROG's and 65 to 70 days in, you can see the canopy color shift from a rich dark green in the front row seats to gradients of yellow as you move down the line.
We would like for each of our ladies to have a seat at the table. I know that it sounds a little institutional…. But we like for our ladies to have equality at the dinner table! J
What’s the word on the farm?
How is this creative community solving this problem without top feeding? We have tried giving our ladies a little juice from the top in the past and found it to be the equivalent of a personal invitation for pests and algae. These days we like to keep the medium as sterile as possible.
On a similar note, we had a really rough UC root experience last fall possibly worthy of sharing here.
The story goes like this….. In early October, we had a room that started showing signs of stunted leaf growth. The SCROG was pretty much full and they were ready to be turned to flower.
We started going down the UC bad shit that can happen checklist.
Literally, between day 3 and 4 of recognizing that we had a problem, I walked into the room and one of the ladies looked like she hadn’t been watered in a week. All the leaves on a plant with a 2.5” stalk were drooping. Normally, in veg we are running humidity in the 65% range. Our rooms are sealed room environments and have foliar misting systems. As soon as we saw the plants wilting, we cranked the humidity up to the 80% range in an effort to buy time, keeping the ladies alive while diagnosing the problem.
By day 5, with two more plants showing signs that they hadn’t received water in weeks, we went into triage mode. We cut the plants out of the SCROG, removed the SCROG so that we could pull plants and inspect the root zone – looking for pests and / or fungus or any other weird shit that can happen in a UC. It was heart breaking.
By then, it was clear the first plant that wilted (which we were keeping alive via foliar feeding) wasn’t going to make it if we didn’t act quickly. My Chika lifted the plant up out of the pot and a root mass that filled a 13 gallon bucket, connected to the stalk by 3 main large roots that sized anywhere from ½” to 1” literally fell off – all 3 roots severed at the net pot.
The roots had grown so big that they grew across multiple openings in the net pot. In other words…. The roots had grown thru one ¼” opening in the net pot. Then grew across the plastic to the next ¼” opening until it had grown big enough to have grown thru 4 holes in the net pot. Evidently, bacteria started forming between the plastic and the root and the root started rotting where the net pot plastic was cutting into it. All three major roots had grown the same way to varying degrees, and had rotted to the point where three of the four holes that the roots had grown across and thru were now severed by rot and the entire plant was being fed by one 1” root that lost 2 of the 4 connections the root had made thru the net pot to the stalk. A ¼” of root was now connecting 13 gallons of root mass to a 2.5” stalk. Those roots were browning quickly.
We cut the net pots off the plants and surgically removed the plastic pieces from the roots. It was awful. It literally took upwards of 2 to 3 hours per plant to cut the plastic out of the roots, cleaned the roots with an antiseptic (CS ROOT’s mix) and cake the wounds with rooting hormone. It looked like a nursing home.
We worked for the next 60 days trying to keep our ladies alive, hoping they could be saved. All plants were being kept alive by foliar feeding only.
As you can tell from the detail I have shared…… it was a pretty depressing to see those ladies go from being so healthy to fighting for their lives.
We had fatally lost 2 plants by that time and out of the remaining 14 plants, 11 were so injured that there was no hope of their tap roots healing. They kept building up slime around the root injury and we kept performing triage. They were only hanging on as a result of the foliar feeding. It felt like pulling the plug on your kids after a near fatal injury. We were only able to salvaged 3 of the 16 plants and lost close to 80 plus days of production time on that room.
Lots of lessons learned.
Anyway….. Root filtration is a serious issue that we are dealing with and would love a solution for. These plants in the UC love to run hard and fast and we like to keep the pedal to the metal! Would love some community input on how to “fix” the root filtering issue.

In my bigger UC rooms I add another pump and I run water lines directly to each module, from chiller. I just don't let the water hit the net pot. It just acts like a waterfall in each bucket flowing fresh water in. I feel it helps push water through keeping things more even.. something to try.. Having a 30 gallon epi I would run 2in- 3 in pvc to epi and pull from epi to chiller and drop to each bucket. I have reversed the flow on bigger runs with better results also. Coming off the manifolds with 3/4 pvc didn't seem to keep the even flow when reversing the flow on larger systems. On smaller I saw no difference...

DapperDon

DapperDon

Hey DapperDan!

If it is at all possible, I would like to see that setup. How many modules are you running inline?

DapperDon

DapperDon

I have 8 foot ceilings I'm bending tbe ones down that are shooting past the lights under the top net first time running these misjudged flip

I see one of the bigger problems is that your net is all but useless and is taking up space that you need. I would remove the netting and replace that with some wire cages around each module and put some netting on the ceiling so you could mount some yoyo's. That will do far more to tame these ladies down than that net will. I see a lot of grows with the netting just casually draped over their gardens, the purpose for adding netting is for weaving in the scrog and I have always felt that it needs to be something more substantial than nylon string netting. It is looking very nice in there indeed. I am really digging the air handling you have there. Nice work.

F

FooDoo

Cages are 3 feet from the top of the growth module. My gsc is right at about 4 feet now coming into week 4 bloom

F

FooDoo

@FooDoo with the low pH do you allow it to sweep or keep it constant?

That's a whole other story my friend. My personal experience goes against everything everyone in this subforum preaches. I'd honestly have to make a whole new thread to discuss how to read PH in the under current correctly.

I'll just say this. If someone's pH is drifting/sweeping/climbing or whatever other adjective anyone uses , *then you are out of whack*.

I can take.pictures of this phenomenon and document it exactly and precisely. Would take only a week to get initial pictures taken and posted but would prob take an entire documented grow from clone to harvest to fully express what's going on and how to read plants and ph.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
my (limited) experience with the UC was that it seemed to want to run at 5.8 in veg and 6.1 in flower when everything was dialed in (im pretty sure I dont have that backwards - it has been a few years)

F

FooDoo

my (limited) experience with the UC was that it seemed to want to run at 5.8 in veg and 6.1 in flower when everything was dialed in (im pretty sure I dont have that backwards - it has been a few years)

My girls never see a single minute of a 5.8 pH. Let alone higher.

Without trying to offend you, I would consider your statement incredibly incorrect

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
PC270021
wow Im offended (not - lol) but I am puzzled - im not sure how it could be incorrect as that is what the ph ran at (I still have my notes) - if i tried to adjust it the next day it would be right back there and if I left it alone it wouldnt swing at all

you did mention something however about everybody is reading ph wrong so do tell

and I would add I wasnt using the same nutes as you - so that could well have a whole lot to do with it

Top Bottom