New Deficiencies shown - northern lights

• Thread starter LiveandLearn502
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LiveandLearn502

LiveandLearn502

So with this grow here are some facts to be stated:

• Didnt start Ph'ing my water until about 3 weeks into veg (i know my mistake)
  • Its ffos (fox farm ocean Soil)
  • its still in veg (not sure how many weeks of veg its in)
  • amended soil before with Earth Dust veg. before planting.
  • been feeding it nothing but ph'd(6.5-7.0) and Cal Mag usually around (3-5ml per gallon)
  • just recently topped dressed the soil with earth dust bloom and fed it a couple times with fox farm trio line( flower) Its my brothers plant so i was following his instruction bc he grew a couple times before me so *shrugs*
  • runoff of soil is Ph - 5.80, ppm - 2000+
  • Temp and RH averages - 75-80 degrees F and 50-65% RH

As always, i really appreciate the incoming advise or criticism. everything is welcomed bc its a learning process for me. Need anymore info just ask and ill get back asap! Ps: dont mind the mess. its my grow room.

New deficiencies shown   northern lights
New deficiencies shown   northern lights 2
New deficiencies shown   northern lights 3
New deficiencies shown   northern lights 4
New deficiencies shown   northern lights 5
needshelpguy

needshelpguy

For me I think you've got a build up which is locking something out, overfeeding for me 2000ppm is crazy especially for a plant that size. I would flush and half the strength of feed for a bit

LiveandLearn502

LiveandLearn502

For me I think you've got a build up which is locking something out, overfeeding for me 2000ppm is crazy especially for a plant that size. I would flush and half the strength of feed for a bit
answering both post with this reply. Appreciate the response. It is a soil and it comes in "hot" as some say. You can open a fresh bag of FFOS and test its runoff and itll be 3k+. the plant only takes up nutrients it needs. so maybe the ph of the soil is the issue but i was just seeing what the community thought.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
In my opinion, they are being fed WAY too much. Fox Farms soils are already pre loaded with nutrients... usually enough to last for 3 or more months. At the end, you might need to supplement with something if the plant is very large and in a relatively small container (the smaller the container, the less nutes it can hold and a large plant will deplete them faster... small plants might go 6 months!), but I think I'd stop feeding at this point, just give water. Adding any additional nutes wouldn't be advisable and I am actually surprised at how good the plants look. How much water do you give them? To get an accurate outflow measurement you sometimes need to run a quantity of liquids thru the medium to remove any concentrated salts that can accumulate if not flushed out periodically. Often the initial runoff is brownish. I wait for that to clear and then measure. It wouldn't hurt to repeat the test 24 hours after initial measurement to see if there is still a buildup or if it was just some excess salts and stuff. This is why I personally feed only every 10-15 days instead of constantly as the fresh water will remove salt buildup. It also helps to keep excess nutes from causing issues like lockouts and deficiencies... which are sometimes impossible to diagnose or recover from.

Madbud

Madbud

I would let the soil dry til she stops drooping so much. At least til the bottom feels dry.

LiveandLearn502

LiveandLearn502

In my opinion, they are being fed WAY too much. Fox Farms soils are already pre loaded with nutrients... usually enough to last for 3 or more months. At the end, you might need to supplement with something if the plant is very large and in a relatively small container (the smaller the container, the less nutes it can hold and a large plant will deplete them faster... small plants might go 6 months!), but I think I'd stop feeding at this point, just give water. Adding any additional nutes wouldn't be advisable and I am actually surprised at how good the plants look. How much water do you give them? To get an accurate outflow measurement you sometimes need to run a quantity of liquids thru the medium to remove any concentrated salts that can accumulate if not flushed out periodically. Often the initial runoff is brownish. I wait for that to clear and then measure. It wouldn't hurt to repeat the test 24 hours after initial measurement to see if there is still a buildup or if it was just some excess salts and stuff. This is why I personally feed only every 10-15 days instead of constantly as the fresh water will remove salt buildup. It also helps to keep excess nutes from causing issues like lockouts and deficiencies... which are sometimes impossible to diagnose or recover from.
Word, this is my brothers plant and im not sure why he told me to go ahead and feed it synthetic nutes along with earth dust flower nutes. should i flush it or do as you said and just keep feeding it water? and do i add cal mag to the water? I water whenever the fabric bag feels light to the lift or when the soil is near bone dry. Appreciate your input on this regardless though.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Word, this is my brothers plant and im not sure why he told me to go ahead and feed it synthetic nutes along with earth dust flower nutes. should i flush it or do as you said and just keep feeding it water? and do i add cal mag to the water? I water whenever the fabric bag feels light to the lift or when the soil is near bone dry. Appreciate your input on this regardless though.
You seem to be doing fine with your waterings, although I prefer to have my medium a little wetter... but this is after fine tuning the process for many years. I wouldn't use Cal-Mag if you are using tap water unless it is very poor quality. Most tap water provides many minerals and does away with the need for Cal-Mag. I would just keep giving water at this point as I didn't really see any signs of nutrient toxicity. The yellowing of the inner leaves and bottom leaves isn't uncommon, especially during later flowering. If you start to see problems with the plants, then a re-evaluation should be made and if a nutrient deficiency is suspected, it can be treated. You are fairly close to the end of flowering, and everything has worked up tothis point, so I wouldn't change too much other than cutting back on the nutes somewhat.

Jamie73

Jamie73

Flush and flush a second day. Way to much in that soil. Fox Farm soil is high in nutrients right out of the bag. 1-5 months worth. That's all you should need for a while. You should check the PH of the run off, on your first flush. Then same for second after she's dryer up from first one. I always make my water with nutrients at 7.0. Sounds weird. It keeps my coco oh in at 7.0 runs off at 6.6. Use have the recommended dosages on the feeding schedule. Foxfarms.com

Top Bottom