New Drip Hydro Set Up Advice Wanted

• Thread starter Bashar Assad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bashar Assad

Bashar Assad

Alright so as I have insomnia and spend many nights wide awake and don't sleep, ive decided to put this to good use!

So last night I didn't sleep and I came up with a new way I wanted my drip system hydro buckets to be set up. Advice is welcomed!

So before I came up with my new plan this is what I have set up....

Two 5 gallon buckets w/6" net pots surrounded by 8" plastic pots
Hydroton grow media
6" drip rings on each connected to a 70 gph pump on a 30 min timer
Two 25L capacity water chillers attached to 300lph pumps

So basically the seedlings are in the middle of the net basket surrounded by hydroton. The net basket has an 8" diameter plastic pot around it to keep the plants roots from clogging up the pumps in the 5 gallon bucket reservoir. The 5 gallon buckets have 8l of water in them and the drip rings feed the seedlings for 30 min twice a day. The water temp. Is an average of 61*F for each bucket.

So now my idea.....

I want to grow another plant in my tent as I have the room, but the chillers and all the tubes just are making it to cluttered to fit another 5 gallon bucket. So I thought why not just have three buckets in the tent and feed them with a main reservoir bucket outside the tent periodically.

This is my design....

Outside of the tent I'll have a 5 gallon bucket that will be used as the main reservoir. It will be kept cold with the two chillers connected to 300lph pumps. For oxygen it will be fed with two 7lpm air pumps with 2"x2" air stones and an 8lpm dual outlet air pump connected to two 2"x4" air stones.

To pump water out of the bucket, I'm going to use a 160gph pump on a 30 min timer outlet. The pump will force water thru a 1/2" ID black tube and before it goes in the tent I'm going to splice in a ball valve to turn off the water flow just incase something gets mucked up or water flow needs to be lowered. After the valve it will go in the tent where it will connect to a 4 port water manifold and split into 3 different tubes. Next there will be another ball valve after each port on the manifold to regulate/stop water flow. After that the tubes will connect to 6" drip rings, water will drip into the 5 gallon pots with plants that each have a 70gph pump connected to the same 30 min timer (they'll all switch on and off at the same time). These pumps will pump the water back out the tent and each tube will separately go back in to the reservoir so that I'd I want to I can check run off ph/ppm from each bucket. I'm also going to be using a hanna instruments grow pro continuous ph/tds monitor in the reservoir so I can check it whenever easily.

I went a little gunho on this and ordered pretty much everything I'll need to do this. Is there anything that I'm missing here that'll make it not work? I've gone over it all last night and today and this set up seems solid to me.

I really want three plants and all the tubes and cords in the tent I have are just ugly to look at. I wanna streamline this little set up :D

Thanks for the help+

J

Jalisco Kid

Irrigating only 2x per day in hydroton will hold your plants back. Maybe try a chow mix to water less
Suerte JK

Bashar Assad

Bashar Assad

I'm actually now switching the drip rings to a permeable soaker hose coiled over the hydroton, will that help?

And yea I was thinking of bumping the watering intervals to once every 6 hours for 30min each time, will that help? I do check my seedlings everyday and they always seem to have thier rw cube they were germinated in wet, but the hydroton may lose its water content faster so I think maybe I should bump up the watering to four times.

J

Jalisco Kid

I did not pay attention to their age I just remembered you were in 5 gal buckets. It takes a little time to know how to irrigate seedling. I like to just underwater them compared to most to force them to root better. Most of my roots are about 18 inchs long when I remove them from the cloner. Keep an eye on them,but I have found most young plants do not like to be played with much. Suerte JK

Latest posts

Top Bottom