New DWC grow is slow!

• Thread starter FrostedFlake
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FrostedFlake

FrostedFlake

First post so I apologize if I miss any key points. I have my DWC setup as follows.
  • 8 5 gal buckets
  • Chiller at 65F
  • 450W T5 (4 foot) switched to 400w MH 4 days ago.
  • 250 PPM from 200PPM filtered tap
  • 5.8-6.2 PH
  • 50% humidity
  • 75-80 average temp
My question is how long should it take to recover from a nute burn? About 5 days ago I had the nutes at 300ppm and I started to notice some funky smell from the res. Playing it safe I decided to flush the system with h2o2, drain it, flush again with water, and then lower the nutes to 250ppm. Due to a miscommunication, my parter decided to bring the nutes back up to 300(but actually hit 330) over 12 hours. This obviously was a terrible thing to do, and the roots browned and the plants began to burn. I once again flushed it in the same manner and stand now as stated above. Funny thing about it was what my parter said the levels were at when he decided to hit it with nutes because he said the ph was up to 7 and ppm was down to 230(meaning what I did made them very happy and they ate like crazy), but it was very soon lost because of the excess nutes. I am just curious how long it takes in your guys experience to recover from something like this? The plants are about 12 inches high(about 4 weeks since transferring to hydro). Oh yea one more thing, because of some remodeling to make room for more plants I switched the light to a 400w MH about 4 days ago and I am not sure if it is less effective than the T5. Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys and I have been enjoying all the info here!

S

ssteely71

I have a very close friend that is hooked deeply on DWC and runs several multi bucket systems. While I cant claim to be proficient in DWC my buddies #1 rule for his DWC is: NO TAP WATER! Get yourself a RO filter.

He has lost crops due to tap water.
Best of luck!

FrostedFlake

FrostedFlake

Hmmmm... the tap could have been an issue at first but we have a smallboy on there so there is no chlorine in there. I live in Colorado so I have plenty of people telling me RO is overkill because our water is so good straight from the tap(200ppm). Multiple people have said dont worry about RO unless you are over 300 from the tap. Thoughts on this?
Yes, I have bubblers in all of the buckets. Thanks for the input!

F

FooDoo

Chlorine actually helps keep tap water clean. That's one thing I wouldn't want to be taking out.

FrostedFlake

FrostedFlake

Like I said , no telling what's in that water.i suggest you buy some distilled water and use it on one plant with 400ppm of your nutes added.i bet that plant pops back fast.
Yea, I think I'll give this a try, but then I won't have the chiller and risk root problems. Do you have any suggestions for an RO? I just don't like the idea of all that waste water. Seriously thank you for replies guys.

Harp

Harp

I too live in Colorado. Been growing for years in DWC only. my tap is 50 ppms. I have done entire grows from just tap. But I've recently noticed, my plants do a heck of alot better in distilled water. For cannabis, chlorine is very bad. What may be ok for us to drink can be dangerous for plants. The chlorine can really throw you off. Your plant may look deficient but really its trying to block out the bad stuff; thus blocking out everything else. just my 2 cents.

In my opinion, distilled water is perfect for DWC. its your canvas. and you're the artist. its missing EVERYTHING tap water has. you can add all that is missing yourself. having better control of your environment.

S

ssteely71

There are RO systems that have adapters and such that reduce wasted water to a 1:1 ratio. You can also divert you "waste" line to a tank for other uses such as cooking or laundry. Best of luck.

F

FooDoo

I too live in Colorado. Been growing for years in DWC only. my tap is 50 ppms. I have done entire grows from just tap. But I've recently noticed, my plants do a heck of alot better in distilled water. For cannabis, chlorine is very bad. What may be ok for us to drink can be dangerous for plants. The chlorine can really throw you off. Your plant may look deficient but really its trying to block out the bad stuff; thus blocking out everything else. just my 2 cents.

In my opinion, distilled water is perfect for DWC. its your canvas. and you're the artist. its missing EVERYTHING tap water has. you can add all that is missing yourself. having better control of your environment.

Your tap has chlorine in it. UC roots is diluted chlorine. Clear rez is diluted chlorine. All are perfectly safe for our plants

FrostedFlake

FrostedFlake

There are RO systems that have adapters and such that reduce wasted water to a 1:1 ratio. You can also divert you "waste" line to a tank for other uses such as cooking or laundry. Best of luck.
Have any suggestions?

Top Bottom