new ebb/flow design...this will work won't it?

• Thread starter Legallyflying
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Hey there gang,
Time to figure out my ebb/flow garden. I was going to build a simple table but I'm a medical grower so I am limited to only six plants. My thought was to heavily veg them out using a scrog to maximize yield. Turn around time is less important to me. I am growing under two 600 HPS lamps and the size of my screen will be 3.5 x 7 ' My understanding is that I want the biggest pot possible so I was thinking 5-gallon buckets. Obviously, this would take a huge table and about 80 gallons of water to flood :(.

Looking at the commercially available systems with a control bucket, I came up with my own design....see picture.

Basically I designed this so that I wouldn't need complicated switches to empty the control bucket once it is full.

There is a 1/2" hose from the res/pump leading to the top of the bucket. There is a 1/2" drain line on the boottom of the bucket that is ALWAYS open. My thought is that when the pump turns on, it will fill the bucket (and my grow buckets) as the pump will "over power" the 1/2 drain line. I can adjust the flow of the drain to facilitate this. There will be a 1" or 3/4" drain pipe in the center of the bucket that will prevent the control bucket from overflowing and control the level within the buckets. My thought is that when the pump shuts off, the water will just drain out of the always open pipe back to the rez.

I can't see any problems with this system but I thought I would let the experts give it a look.

THanks!!

Ebbflow
Curb Feeler

Curb Feeler

I don't see how the water will "drain" upwards through a hose into a res on it's own.....that's why most systems use a return pump.

Maybe I am missing something.

The green trees ebb and flow system is pretty expensive, but you can build one for less than $100. They are fun to build if you don't mind a little work. The resulting controllers work great and less than half the price.

You won't need expensive electronics, just one float valve is all you'd really need...pretty simple really.

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

oops, I guess i should have said that the reservoir will sit on the ground but the buckets will be on a little bench above the res (albeit in the next room).

I think they use a return pump because they are using gravity to fill the grow buckets. If you tried to pump water into the bottom of the control bucket, you would have to "lift" all the water in all the buckets...pretty damn big pump. So you can't go with a typical "drain back through the pump" setup.

Anywho, I think I am bailing on the idea.

The guy at the hydro shop told me I don't need to run large containers..I could just let the roots grow into hydroton on the table...

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Hey ehole, got your PM, thanks man. I can't repply yet as I don't have enough posts, so here is my reply..

Very similar system indeed. Really like the idea of the siphon tube to regulate water levels. If your using a system like this however (with 6 buckets), wouldn't you need to have a REALLY strong pump in order to fill the 6 buckets? My thought was that the weight of the water in the 6 buckets would be creating a significant amount of back pressure that the pump would have to overcome...?

So my basic question is, could a 300-400 GPH pump will six 3 gallon buckets from the bottom? wouldn't that create allot of head pressure?

H

hailo

sounds like my setup.....
8 3gal buckets
1 396 feed pump
no control bucket

fills in 4 mins.... put a 600 pump no change....

H

hailo

Latest posts

Top Bottom