New England(Massachusetts) outdoor start time

• Thread starter socks4free
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
socks4free

socks4free

Hey all 👋 so I don't have any lights not room to setup a light in my house really but I want to get my outdoor plants started soon. I live in new England and we are definitely still getting some very cold days.
the days have been getting nicer and nicer, but the nights are still quite cold. I'm wondering if it would be advisable to start growing some plants now (or within the next week)?
Would it be do able if I take the plants inside at night and put them back out in the morning? My concern would be if there was any very very cold days where I wouldn't be able to put them out for a couple days how would that affect the plants?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If you think there's a chance your plants will be indoors for several days in a row, don't plant now.

TSD

TSD

Yeah you kind of have to start indoors in the Northeast if you want them to finish in time. Hard to do without at least a light and a timer... I'm currently set up in a closet lol.

steamroller

steamroller

I have always planted outdoors around second week of May earliest .
You can have them as large as you want when you put them out, but without a light I would wait and start outdoors around middle/end of May .
Just me , I grew outdoors back in the 90's and did well .
Can you build cold frames ?

Madbud

Madbud

Depends on what part of the state, cape you could start anytime, berkshires in another month.

WhataMainah

WhataMainah

Hey all 👋 so I don't have any lights not room to setup a light in my house really but I want to get my outdoor plants started soon. I live in new England and we are definitely still getting some very cold days.
the days have been getting nicer and nicer, but the nights are still quite cold. I'm wondering if it would be advisable to start growing some plants now (or within the next week)?
Would it be do able if I take the plants inside at night and put them back out in the morning? My concern would be if there was any very very cold days where I wouldn't be able to put them out for a couple days how would that affect the plants?
I am in southern ME and I get my seedlings started in solo cups in early April, seedlings dont need too much light (just light that is close). I just transported to outside this weekend and they are all thriving

Top Bottom