New extractor! Could use some tips.

• Thread starter RoscosDaisys
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RoscosDaisys

Hello everyone!
As the title says, I’m new to extracting and hoping to get some advice. I’ve been scouring the internet for videos and forums and feel pretty confident in the technique I will use, just want to run it by others with more experience.

I’m not exactly new to blasting. As a teenager a friend and I would open blast in his trailer, and purge over open flame. Very stupid, lucky we didn’t hurt ourselves. We were naive to say the least.
Fast forward 10+ years later, I’m now getting myself a legit set up.
I purchased the Ablaze 265-350g closed column tube with dewaxing column. I also have a 3 gallon purge chamber with a 5cfm vacuum pump.
Before I describe my technique, I’ll hit you with a couple of my primary questions.
The first is in regards to filtering. The tube comes with a 150micron stainless screen, that does not seem fine enough. I’ve heard of others placing coffee filters on top, any other suggestions?
The tube does not come with a vacuum gauge, which id really like to add. Having never put my hands on the equipment, I’m a little unsure how to add a gauge. It looks pretty simple, and like I could easily find a gauge that fits but maybe someone out there has something specific they can point me to.
Can I reuse the dry ice and alcohol I put in the dewaxing tube? I don’t see why not... strain off the alcohol, store both in the freezer until next use.
Anywho, the break down. Also to note- all of this will be performed outside with excellent ventilation.

Everything is getting frozen in a chest freezer. The tube, material, butane, etc. for a minimum of 24 hours.

Pull the tube out and set up the dewaxing slurry, let cool for 2-3 hours.

Place material in the tube, lightly broken up by hand.
pull vacuum

Let sit again to coool plant material further?? Or is the dry ice & pre freeze going to be enough?

Flood with butane. Let soak for __ amount of time (I see recommendations all over the place. Some say no soak. Some say 15 minutes . Some say hours, help me out lol)

Release the butane/extract into a dish, and then into the vacuum chamber for 24-48 hours with a flip or two in between at 100F.
Dab and enjoy!

What am missing? Any and all advice is very much appreciated! My outdoor crop will be harvested in 1-2 weeks. I don’t really smoke flower so all of it will be blasted, roughly 5 pounds worth lol so I have my work cut out for me.

R

RoscosDaisys

Figured out a step I missed! Blast into Pyrex (lined with parchment), then into the hot bath to boil off butane, then into vacuum purge.

a few more questions I’ve put together this morning lol.
shower head attachment to disperse the butane better, worth it or kinda pointless on a closed column? Regardless of how it disperses in the closed column everything should get soaked pretty well.
Condenser tube to run the butane. From the tank, into condenser tube that’s in dry ice bath, into the column. Already having the dewaxing chamber, would this make a huge difference? It would be pretty easy for me to throw one together, but don’t want to waste the time and money if it won’t do a whole lot.

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

People blasting at home scares the shit out of me. Not because I think they'll not purge it properly and have a bad or unsafe product, mainly because people don't have much common sense and blow shit up. I know thats not helpful, but neither is home blasting.

R

RoscosDaisys

To each their own I suppose! Yes it can be very dangerous without common sense. So can driving a car, shooting guns, chopping down trees.... lots of activities take far more lives every year than blasting does. I appreciate your concern, I’ll be doing more research taking as many precautions as I possibly can.

R

RoscosDaisys

Never heard of the Teflon bag! I’ll read into it today. I bought the same heater from ablaze :)

R

RoscosDaisys

How/why is the purge instant? I don’t understand how a Teflon bag would cause an instant purge

pdasterly

pdasterly

How/why is the purge instant? I don’t understand how a Teflon bag would cause an instant purge
the water surrounds the extracted material, like hydrocoating or water transfer printing, same concept

R

RoscosDaisys

Ahhh I see what you are saying, open up into the Teflon bag which is sitting in the hot bath, then I assume into a chamber?
Reading about the bags there seems to be mixed reviews. Some say they are incredible, others says the material sticks to them really bad. What is your experience?

pdasterly

pdasterly

Ahhh I see what you are saying, open up into the Teflon bag which is sitting in the hot bath, then I assume into a chamber?
Reading about the bags there seems to be mixed reviews. Some say they are incredible, others says the material sticks to them really bad. What is your experience?
for lots of material it was the most practical way, the bag is expensive tho

i used to blast onto a silicon baking mat that fit directly into my vac chamber, would make 6oz cookies. i havent blasted in 10 years tho so im sure there are some newer techniques

depends on material, ive had crappy material that would stick to the parchment paper

MrsAndersonsBakingSilicone9 InchRoundCakePanBakingMoldBPAFreeNon StickEuropean GradeSilicone9
Vesti Bule

Vesti Bule

General question, and apologies for asking advice rather than providing it...

With these setups, is there any way to at least partially recover/distill the the solvent for future uses? I've done a few butane extractions, but just on the scale of one of those hand-held (with gloves!) pyrex tubes, and always wonder about the waste and pollution factors. Thanks.

R

RoscosDaisys

Unfortunately no, not with this set up. I’d need a recovery tank and some other equipment, I don’t know a whole lot about that aspect. I do know that I could eventually upgrade and build onto this system to create a closed loop. But as of right now, this is essentially open blasting just with more control and ability to soak.

Latest posts

Top Bottom