New fabric pot and FFOF. Wet or dry planting?

• Thread starter Newbelinginaz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Newbelinginaz

Newbelinginaz

With a Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Perlite mix in a 3 gallon fabric pot do you prep the soil by flushing with PH adjusted water or start a planting dry? If flushing to PH balance and settle the soil how dry should it be before planting?

Anthem

Anthem

With a Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Perlite mix in a 3 gallon fabric pot do you prep the soil by flushing with PH adjusted water or start a planting dry? If flushing to PH balance and settle the soil how dry should it be before planting?
With Ocean Forest, I have always done dry planting into fabric pots. I would always do a first watering at the same time to run off. It worked for me, also I would make sure the soil was completely dry before watering a second time.

Newbelinginaz

Newbelinginaz

With Ocean Forest, I have always done dry planting into fabric pots. I would always do a first watering at the same time to run off. It worked for me, also I would make sure the soil was completely dry before watering a second time.
Thanks, as a new grower overwatering and a few other things has caused the death of seven defenseless little seeds so far. I am starting to feel guilty.

Anthem

Anthem

Thanks, as a new grower overwatering and a few other things has caused the death of seven defenseless little seeds so far. I am starting to feel guilty.
Here is about the best solution I can offer if you are having problems with over watering. Get an extra pot the exact same as your balance. Fill it with your soil of choice. Keep it next to your grow. Before you water your pots with the plant in the pots pick up the pot that is just soil. Now pick the pot with the plant, are they very close in weight. If the pot with the plant is substantially heavier than the one without a plant do not water. Remember water weights about 8 pounds per gallon so the soil will hold on to it and the ladies like their feet dry. Lastly, if you are questioning watering wait another day. A plant that is water stressed will turn around in minutes if it is under watered, over watered can take over a week. Good luck with your grow!!!!!!!!

Newbelinginaz

Newbelinginaz

Here is about the best solution I can offer if you are having problems with over watering. Get an extra pot the exact same as your balance. Fill it with your soil of choice. Keep it next to your grow. Before you water your pots with the plant in the pots pick up the pot that is just soil. Now pick the pot with the plant, are they very close in weight. If the pot with the plant is substantially heavier than the one without a plant do not water. Remember water weights about 8 pounds per gallon so the soil will hold on to it and the ladies like their feet dry. Lastly, if you are questioning watering wait another day. A plant that is water stressed will turn around in minutes if it is under watered, over watered can take over a week. Good luck with your grow!!!!!!!!
Well said, and I have heard of the second pot trick before. I must be bias to watering. It gets to 120 degrees here so we usually do not have a overwatering issue, and mold is something other people have.

quirk

quirk

You can't overwater a well draining medium and container. The problems come in when you water too often, keeping the medium saturated.
As @Anthem suggests, when in doubt, wait.

Top Bottom