New Grow room 5X4 with pics, do i have enough light?

• Thread starter reloader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
reloader

reloader

We have converted a small half bath to a 6 plant personal legal medical grow. Painted all walls and ceiling white. We took the sink out and installed a long counter top. Using the exsisting light fixtures I put in 3 cfls. The room already has heat, and I ducted a vent outside(not pictured), along with already exsisting built in exhaust fan.
I mounted a couple 75 watt fluorescents and another cfl on the ceiling. my main light though is a new 400 watt hps/mh with a digital convertable ballast, and reflector. Do you guys think this is enough light for this small grow? I am thinking of adding another 400 watt hps.?
Thanks, just looking for opinions , since this is 1st grow.
http://i110.invalid.com/albums/n106/mtncat000/rm1.jpg

http://i110.invalid.com/albums/n106/mtncat000/rm2.jpg
http://i110.invalid.com/albums/n106/mtncat000/rm3.jpg
http://i110.invalid.com/albums/n106/mtncat000/rm4.jpg

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
are you just using that shelf or the whole 4 x 5?

dount count any of the stock fixtures as light - you cant put them on your timer anyhow

even if your just using that shelf another 400 wouldnt be a bad idea

if your gonna try and use the whole room you should get a 600 to go with the 400

400 over the shelf 600 over the floor

50-75 watts per square foot of grow space is ideal

reloader

reloader

are you just using that shelf or the whole 4 x 5?

dount count any of the stock fixtures as light - you cant put them on your timer anyhow

even if your just using that shelf another 400 wouldnt be a bad idea

if your gonna try and use the whole room you should get a 600 to go with the 400

400 over the shelf 600 over the floor

I am thinking of just using the countertop, because it can easily accomadate the 6 plants. So when I hang the mh/hps light it will be concentrated over the counter.
I guess I would only move plants to the floor if the height of the plants became an issue. 7 ft ceiling, but the countertop is about 4 1/2 feet from the ceiling.

sky high

sky high

DON'T use that homemade WOOD hood with ANY HID....>>if< that is what that is in pic #2. (or is it a wing reflector in a box??)

If it is....you'll burn yer fuckin house down. Straight up. A basic Aluminum wing reflector is about $30....

don't risk it, my friend!!

SAFETY is #1. This is not a dress rehersal.

Figure 50 watts per sq ft (HID, not CFL) for bloom....whatever space you are lighting.

In other words, the 400 will cover no more than a 3 x 3'. area and you will want your plants to finish at no taller than 2 ft or the bottom of the plant isn't gonna get much light.

good luck

s h

reloader

reloader

DON'T use that homemade WOOD hood with ANY HID....>>if< that is what that is in pic #2. (or is it a wing reflector in a box??)

If it is....you'll burn yer fuckin house down. Straight up. A basic Aluminum wing reflector is about $30....

don't risk it, my friend!!

SAFETY is #1. This is not a dress rehersal.

Figure 50 watts per sq ft (HID, not CFL) for bloom....whatever space you are lighting.

In other words, the 400 will cover no more than a 3 x 3'. area and you will want your plants to finish at no taller than 2 ft or the bottom of the plant isn't gonna get much light.

good luck

s h

Dont worry Im not that dumb, that is a wing reflector that is still in the box.
Well 5x4 is 20 sq ft which is at the end of what a 400 watt will cover, but since i am just using the counter area to grow, i thought it would be enough, and it may be. But After I bought the set-up is when I starting thinking I want more light. I wish I had got the 600, and it wouldnt have been much more.
So I am pretty set on adding another 400 watt over the counter as well. That should give me plenty of light for 6 plants to get their full potential.

B

BIGBONEZ

If i was you i would deff. Go with a 6oo and if you only have 4 ft or so your gonna have to put on the floor after words so you dont burn your shit your light has to be atleast 12 to 18 inchs away depending on what you have but good luck im a new be also 1st havest was ok but im getting alot better i think well i hope lol

420king-MASSES

If i was you i would deff. Go with a 6oo and if you only have 4 ft or so your gonna have to put on the floor after words so you dont burn your shit your light has to be atleast 12 to 18 inchs away depending on what you have but good luck im a new be also 1st havest was ok but im getting alot better i think well i hope lol

6-10 inches away from canopy with a 600 thats the whole point of running 6s is to drop mad lumens closer to the plant with great penetration
natural_medicines_048.jpg
natural_medicines_050.jpg
natural_medicines_146.jpg
natural_medicines_147.jpg

reloader

reloader

Wow, thats awesome 420-King.
After much reading, I am going to add a 600 hp/mh to run along with my 400.
Right now I just got some clones, and am getting ready to pot them. Room seems to be working well, I have freash air vented in from outside, and the room is staying between 79 to 81 degrees without using any heat. I am running the exhaust fan in the ceiling. Ballast doesn't seem to be runnng to hot either . Right now I am just using my m/h light.

reloader

reloader

Well here are some pics of the plants in progress. The room has worked out well so far, with heat and exhaust built in. Temp is staying at about 80 degrees, and I have fresh air vented in from outside. I am happy with the temps of the room because it is -10 outside right now.
It has been one week after transplanting small clones from plastic cups, and they are growing like mad under the 400. I am using my m/h bulb right now, when I flower I will switch over to the hps bulb. Plus I am hoping to add another 400 or 600 by then.

Ma1
Ma2
Ma3
Ma4
T

TheGreenHand

Very nice reloader; what soil mix are you using? Your plants look happy.

reloader

reloader

Very nice reloader; what soil mix are you using? Your plants look happy.

Here was my mix,
16 qts organic potting soil
1 Qt sand
20 lbs worm castings
1 lb peat moss
4 qts perlite
5 oz lime

couple more pics

Mo3
Mo4
Mo5

Latest posts