NEW Grow Room! Need Ideas! 12x9x12

• Thread starter KALEPONI
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KALEPONI

Hello my friends,
So I have begun construction on my new indoor growing area and im building from scratch from the floor up. I was looking for a few ideas or hints in my set up to get the most efficient use out of the room.
So the room is about 12ft long, 9ft wide, and 12ft high. So far its been framed up, i am now waiting for the electrician who is going to install two 110v outlets on each wall (6 total) and another two 220v outlets for the lights. As of right now, I have two 400w lamps that I will be using, but I plan on upgrading to two 600w lamps, hence the 220v outlets.
Now my biggest question is what system to use. So far Ive been using an average deep culture hydro system with canna nutrients, which works well, but with the larger space ill be moving the project into, i want something more efficient and energy friendly. What Im thinking is an Ebb and Flow system. Maybe two 4x4 trays under each 400w lamp? (until I upgrade to 600w that is). Does anyone have any better ideas or methods? I want to stick with the hydro method, since i have loads of hydroton balls and nutrients in stock already. I just need a better method than the mess of 5gal buckets that I have been using. They take up too much power for just one plant. (pump, airstone, etc.)
Sorry for the wall of text, hopefully someone reads all the way thru haha. Thanks for any help guys!

N

norcalgreens

Im a soil guy. I read all the way through. With that space u could have a few more lights for sure. I would add more circuit breakers while u can, just in case u expand in the future. I here the ebb n flow works great. Good luck

M

Malachi

Don't waste your time with 600's. If you have a big space like that get 1000's you will thank yourself later. 1000W will light up ea 4x4 tray perfectly. A 400W will only light up 2x2 space effieciently, maybe 2.5 x 2.5 but that is pushing it. You could get the 4 x 4 trays and just concentrate your plants towards the center, then when you get the 1000's you will already have the trays.

K

KALEPONI

Hmm, good point. I was considering 1000's, but a few friends talked me into 600's. I havent purchased any new lighting equipment yet tho, so I'll keep it in mind. THanks man!
So I think ill go with ebb and flow, and ill see what i can do about more outlets, cuz youre right norcal, ill probly wish i had more later.

N

norcalgreens

That you will trust me. Not just outlets though, you also need more CIRCUIT BREAKERS. I would go 20 amp breakers on the 110 and 40 or 50 amp on the 220. And yes i would go 1000 all the way. Keep your 400 tho its great for start of veg and just rooted clones... Good luck

M

Malachi

600 Watters are the most efficient, they give off the most lumens per watt, but 1000's are much brighter. If money isn't an issue you could get 2 growzilla hoods. They take 2 bulbs each and get 2 dual 600W digital ballasts and you could run 2-600's in each hood. You would only be running 200 more watts ea, but you would be pushing out 40-45,000 more lumens per hood. If you light up your 4x4 trays with those bad boys you would be in for a treat. Just remember when it comes to lighting bigger is always better and there isn't such a thing as too much light

K

KALEPONI

Well put, looks like ill need to run my 400s for a while tho since ill need to save up for more light. thats my biggest issue so far. Everything else is manageable. I appreciate your help guys! Thanks for the much needed advice!

D

Dulce

Hey Kaleponi,
I have a space very similar to yours that I am also in the process of building right now.
You could do like me to maximize your space- 3 1000w light s for flowering. Seeing as how each 1000k lamp covers 4 x4, you could have two 4 x 4 grow spaces next to each other along the 9' wall, then another 4x4 in front of one of those. You could technically put a fourth 4x4 next to that with another light, giving yourself 8x8 of growing area, but the way my vegging is set up, I can't support that 4th area (yet). Go easy on yourself and cram as many 3 or 4 gallon pots as you can under each light going for a sea of green style. Use soil(less) mix with one part fert, like Bio Canna. Order a quick, single cola variety like Nebula and pull 2+ pounds per light. :)

D

dorkvan420

Some good advice set forth so far...

Kaleponi,
Some great advice so far good use of that space indeed....Im planning my 12Lx12Wx8H space now , and will be running 2 4x8 bloom rooms with a 4' walkway in between and a 4x4 room divided into 2 for clones/veg area, and the mothers area.I will run 2 1k watt per bloom room and T5's/400w for 4x4 room, a big ass a/c, CO2 propane gen,timers,and..........you get the picture....hey do with what you got, and always maximize it for your benefit(actually the plants benefit really) and it will always improve...and as I did I pieced my setup and now have almost everything I need except a good local sparky to wire me up with enough to spare....got a 100 amps just waiting to buzz......good luck to you, and your space will be full soon enough!!!:stonedsmilie:

K

KALEPONI

Hey thanks guys, i appreciate all the feedback! Super helpful as this is my first official dedicated grow room, Ive finished puttin up the rest of the walls, now I just need the electrician to come in and wire me up, then comes the insulation and drywall! damn, im gettin excited.. so for what I can afford right now, it looks like ill be going with the 12-pot "Ebb & Grow" system with the automated pump and 55gal reservoir. Im gettin wired for four 240v sockets (for lighting, although at the moment I can only afford to have two 600w lamps running) at least that will give me room for growth in the future, and besides that ill have my climate control system, a possible humidifier, and all the ventilation i could need. Ill post pics as I get closer to finishing! Thanks again everybody!

E

edux10

also think of cooling. the 600watters are cake to cool with an a/c hood and duct fan. 1ks may be a tad trickier and you may loose lumens if you have to back the lights off the canopy a bit...

N

nouvellechef

Why not save that $ on the Ebb, buy more lights. More lumens equals more bud. Than just do a few DWC buckets. Just a thought.

Top Bottom