new grow

• Thread starter catdaddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
catdaddy

catdaddy

hey i am a new grower and i was wondering how many beans should i start out with?

Og420

Og420

How much space do you have? what sort of light are you using?

For your first grow i would recommend keeping things small, just run a few plants until you learn the basics.

I've just started my first grow, I was going to go with just the one plant but decided to pop 2 seeds,

catdaddy

catdaddy

oh okay. i order 20 and should be receiving them very shortly but i wasn't too sure what to start with. as for the space i got plenty of it. this is going to be my first grow and i don't want to make any mistakes. thanks for the input and i sincerely hope all goes well for you.

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
oh okay. i order 20 and should be receiving them very shortly but i wasn't too sure what to start with. as for the space i got plenty of it. this is going to be my first grow and i don't want to make any mistakes. thanks for the input and i sincerely hope all goes well for you.

Oh there will be mistakes. Its how you cope with them that matters. Just keep it simple to start

catdaddy

catdaddy

ok thanks cannarado. if you don't mind i would like to ask if anyone has ever heard of the book growing elite marijuana and if so is it a good book? its suppose to be like the best guide for new growers but when i googled for reviews i couldn't find any. if anyone ever heard of this book could you please give me an honest answer; all feed back is accepted.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

I veg with some CFL (Compact Fluorescence Light) bulbs to start, if it's your first grow try em out. You can pop your seeds and put them in some small starter containers under a couple of CFLs and avoid burning your sprouts. You can set your HPS light setup around the CFL setup. The CFLs are cheap and some clip light fixtures are like $5-$10 at a hardware store (I bought ten fixtures and ten CFLs). 400w MH/HPS is more than fine for veg but how many plants are you planning on supporting with that fixture? I use a 400w HPS right now in a small space (400w should be good for a 4x4 space for flowering) your plants will get big. Probably get a lot bigger when you flower them. I started with 9 seeds and ended up with 4 good females. I'm looking at 3ft tall bushes with a girth of about 1- 1/2 ft (6th week of flowering). You wind up saving money on energy because CFLs don't burn too hot and all you'll need is to run a fan on the babies (unless your room is over 85 then use a/c too). When they get about a foot or so tall put them under your HPS and let them go crazy from there. Starting from seed is pretty cool for phenotype variation and breeding but you could spend some time sprouting and sexing your plants so you might just wanna try the CFL thing until the plants pre-flower (if your seeds aren't feminized). Good strains usually will show a flower at a main node site like on the first to the fourth branching spot at about 4 weeks in veg (sometimes longer). Try to spot them with a magnifying glass and separate the known females (if you have a monster plant then try your hand at cloning). A great book for a starter is Ed Rosenthal's Marijuana Grower's Handbook. I bought it like 18 years ago and swear by it's knowledge. Good Luck!

catdaddy

catdaddy

Thanks man that was very helpful. i planned on popping 5 each of the two 10 packs i brought. i ran across a few post in regards to cfl's so i took the 400w light fixture back and opted for the led's instead(which i am in the process of doing now) for vegging and 2 600w hps for flowering. if you or anyone think that was a good or bad idea please let me know; all input is considered good advise to me, so please don't hold back. thank you all.

online live fantasy pot head everything say just amusement pure fiction pictures post found all over internet

M

MTM

T5s for veg bro,the only way to go,the 6 and 8 bulbs work better than any 4 or 600 watter for veg and way less heat to deal with and cheaper to run

MrSmilehappy

MrSmilehappy

catdaddy

well how do you plan to germinate first? With cubes or the old fashioned paper towel method? A 400 watt light is way too strong for the seedlings. You'll have to hold the light far away which is pretty much wasting time and vital light you could be giving plants that have grown. You probably don't want to get into intense light until after the second week once you see a couple of sets of leaves. A t5 or even CFL's are good for the very beginning

catdaddy

catdaddy

thanks for the input. if you don't mind me asking how many plants can i fit under that setup? my area for veg is 2ft L, 4'8 w, and 8'ft ht. and do you think 2 600w fixture are good for a 12'11 L, 10'9 w, and 8ft ht flowering area?

online live fantasy pot head everything say just amusement pure fiction pictures post found all over internet

catdaddy

catdaddy

i brought some pods that are made from recycling tree bark (so i was told) that is suppose to be the alternative of rockwool for soil. the reason why i brought them was because i never germinated any beans of any sort and the guy told me that was the best way to go. i brought them a few weeks ago and i haven't used them yet but i was told that as long as i keep them moist they are good (i kept them in the zip lock that they came in).

MTM i was wondering how many plants can you fit under that light setup? my area for veg is a 2ft L, 4ft W, and 8ft ht, and do you think 2 600w light fixtures are good enough for a 12'11 L, 10'9 W, 8ft ht flowering room?

thank you'll for all the input and advise

Latest posts

Top Bottom