new grow

• Thread starter newbe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

newbe

well about a week ago i started to germ some seeds 3 out of 6 i dont think is bad so im going to ues a moble closet one u can get at wall mart that zips up i dont have the money to get a big light so im using florences i have the 4 old light systems from an old fish tank but im not sure what kind of bulbs to get or where to get them ??? here are the first pics i have of the plants they are just siting on my bay window till i get the closet all ready and after i get the lights should i do 24hrs light or just 18 hours light and does it mater on that ??
New grow
New grow 2

urbanfog

urbanfog

For bulbs I'd skip those and just get some "daytime" CFLs for now. But, depending on fishtank hood size and specs check out your local petsmart/pet store. Look for something in a blue/daytime color range for now. Also, I cant be sure, but it looks like the soil is pretty moist, it may be the pic though. Watch for too much water. What soil mixture are you using for now? Good luck man, seems as your off to a good start

N

newbe

this is the soil i started with and as for the bulbs if im not wrong for growing blue lights are good ?? as for water i feed them just normal tap water every two or three days i give them about a quarter cup .do u think it was two much ??
4 15 2012 2
View attachment 209578

Bannacis

Bannacis

Miracle grow...not best choice, but i would add more perilit to your soil. looks kinda wet and compact.
Getting some stretch I see. not enough light, everybody gets em. i usually transplanted em halfway up the stems. good luck

hippieheadies

hippieheadies

i would use some seed starter soil next time with some perlite in it. and the stretching can be fixed by lovering the light or raising the plants close to below the light, make sure soil isnt always wet, you can get root rot, when the containers feels light then i would water it

vaporedout

vaporedout

if your using fish tank lights, plop those things right on top of the seedlings, maybe raise it a scotch every day..... i used fish tank lights for seedlings and had stretch like that, just keep the light close, and use a spray bottle to water so your seedlings dont fall down. good luck

barewithme

barewithme

Diatomite in place of perlite works well too. If using normal household CFLs, you can have the seedlings just an inch or two from the the lights without them burning, which will reduce them stretching.

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

Pro mix is cheap enough!

I'll NEVER use that CRAP MG stuff(again)!

Cooked a batch of clones with it.

Never again!!!!!!

Looks over watered as well.

Good luck bro'!!

Chobble

Chobble

Miracle grow is horrible. If you think its a good soil mix, Stop growing right now.

With that being said, It's a mistake we all make. The next thing you want to do is get your fluro's a little closer to those lights. The seedlings are streching wayy to much.

Chobble

entropy99

entropy99

Agreed. To stop them from stretching, they need more light, which means they needs to be much closer to the lights.

You want a soil with a airy matrix to allow for free drainage and good root development. Soils that compact down will slow or hinder growth.

Cannasoir

Cannasoir

Get some fox farms ocean forest. I really like it and the plants I have had grow in it come out better than the ones I had tried with miracle grow. If you cant afford fox farms, just try mixing your miracle grow with some more perlite. the bad thing about miracle grow is its dense and it consistently feeds your plants so you never know what your exactly feeding them.On the subject of feeding, you need a nitrogen rich food right now. Also keep the temps in the 80's with high humidity. that is crucial for plants when they are this age. Think about getting a high pressure sodium or metal halide lamp. use them in conjunction with the cfls and you will be getting good light...each plant requires a minimum of 3000 lumens. thats just the bare bones optimal lumens would be 7000 and up...also for vegging, you need lights in the blue spectrum around 6000k. I use the 300 watt cfls, they put out 4200 lumens but in the red spectrum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom