New Grower Alberta Canada

• Thread starter Knifemaker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Hey everyone, very glad to have found this forum. Hopefully I can take away enough information to keep me from making too many rookie mistakes. I live in Alberta Canada and I'm a custom knifemaker specializing in hunting, culinary, and slipjoint folding knives
I've grown a few plants outdoors in my younger days but very basic set up, dig hole, line with poly,, fill with potting soil, plant seeds/starters then water every other day mayne suplimenting with 20-20-20 until flowering and switching to a bloom food after that. Had some pretty decent yields. This whole indoor growing thing is going to be a new adventure and Im excited to get started.
Picking up my set up this evening consisting of a 2x4x7 tent, a mars hydro 600w led light, and a vivosun 4" inline fan with carbon filter.
Still have to decide what I want for containers, coco or soil, nutrients, and the biggy what strain(s). I'm thinking I want to try autoflower varieties and like a nice balanced hybrid strain.
Looking forward to falling down this rabbit hole.
Thanks for any forthcoming advice.
Have a knife day
StaySharp

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I’d avoid the mars if it’s not too late.
And a 6 inch fan is a better investment.
Promix hp is a good simple medium. If you like keeping it very simple grab a bag of maxibloom or jacks
Search K.I.S.S. Or Lucas formula for really easy place to start.
Welcome friend

Last edited:
UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I guess if your sticking to 2x4 space 4 inch is enough tho. Are you considering a two chamber system so you can veg next plants while your flowering?

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

I guess if your sticking to 2x4 space 4 inch is enough tho. Are you considering a two chamber system so you can veg next plants while your flowering?
The Mars is already locked in, i have a buddy who uses the 300w version in a 3x3 tent and gets decent results. I do plan to upgrade the light eventually. Here in canada we're allowed to have 4 plants going at a time no matter what stage they're at so for now I'm just planning to start with 2 plants and take them to harvest then start the next ones.
Thanks for the info.
StaySharp

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Klinstead

Klinstead

Howdy knife maker! Fellow Albertan (Calgarian) here - also working on my first ever indoor crop. 2 auto great white shark and 1 Girl Scout cookies on the go; est 2 or so more weeks until harvest time. It’s definitely been a process but this site has been a great resource along the way! Welcome and looking forward to seeing your grows!

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Got my seeds ordered, as well as my nutes, fabric grow pots, and other missing bits. Still on the fence over soil or coco. I'm leaning toward a soil grow this time and maybe try coco next time...
For my seeds Im going to be running Gelato, Zskittles, and Amnesia all are Autoflower strains and I really cant wait
20190413 091539
20190413 091611
Screenshot 20190413 091226 Samsung Internet
20190413 091705
20190413 091725
20190413 091741
20190413 091800
20190413 091816

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Still waiting for my seeds to arrive, but I got an awsome 420 deal on a new light for my tent. I went with the mars hydro sp-250 it should arrive Wednesday.
Hurry up seeds I'm itching to get growing.
StaySharp

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Got my tent all set up and ready for seeds to arrive any day now I hope. I have the carbon filter disconnected from the fan as to not waste it unnecessarily.
20190424 221848

Ran the light and fans for about 90 minutes and it held pretty steady at 77°F so I'm happy with that.
20190424 221121

The humidity is low, so that may need to be addressed although RH should increase once I start watering the plants...

StaySharp everyone
20190424 221129

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Toit little setup knifemaker. I'll second the suggestion above about possibly upgrading that light down the road, but the one you have now will grow weed I'm sure.

Only other suggestion I'd like to make is go easy on those addatives. Thumb through these threads for a while and you will see the people growing the nicest looking plants often have very basic feed programs.

What did you settle on for media? looks like promix.

Good luck man.

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Toit little setup knifemaker. I'll second the suggestion above about possibly upgrading that light down the road, but the one you have now will grow weed I'm sure.

Only other suggestion I'd like to make is go easy on those addatives. Thumb through these threads for a while and you will see the people growing the nicest looking plants often have very basic feed programs.

What did you settle on for media? looks like promix.

Good luck man.
The light in the set up pictures is the new light. Its a mars hydro sp-250
The Advanced Nutrients, hobbyist grower pkg all came together (except the cal-mag)
I plan to follow the schedule except start with 1/4 strength then build up slowly to maybe 3/4 strength.
Yes I went with promix hp / mycorrhiza. The big bale was on special, there's enough left that I should get at least one more grow out of it maybe 2.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The light in the set up pictures is the new light. Its a mars hydro sp-250
The Advanced Nutrients, hobbyist grower pkg all came together (except the cal-mag)
I plan to follow the schedule except start with 1/4 strength then build up slowly to maybe 3/4 strength.
Yes I went with promix hp / mycorrhiza. The big bale was on special, there's enough left that I should get at least one more grow out of it maybe 2.

Right on. Promix is an excellent choice, I've been using it or similar peat based media for a long time with great results. It makes for a very foolproof grow as long as you go easy on the feed. And that's a good idea to start with a low feed rate. From what I recall, using all of AN's lineup results in dangerously high ppm's and easily leads to overfeeding. I could be wrong though..

Knifemaker

Knifemaker

Tracking for my seeds has them set to arrive friday. Cant wait to get this ball rolling.
I'll be dropping one of each strain into RO water for 24 hrs then into moist paper towel until I get half inch tap roots then straight into the 5 gal pots.
Anyone can feel free to jump in with advice, suggestions, questions and or photos of your own grow. I'm here to learn how to get the best buds out of this as I can. All help is appreciated
StaySharp

Top Bottom