New Grower Essentials checklist:

• Thread starter Staypuffed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Staypuffed

Staypuffed

Hey folks. Looking to setup a grow. These are the pieces I am looking at so far:

• tent- 5' x 5' x 73"
  • Carbon Filter 6" x 16" 400 CFM
  • 6 inch In-Line Fan 400 CFM
  • 6 inch x 25' duct
  • tape
  • 5 4-6" fans
  • HLG550 V2 rspec 500W LED
  • light hanging pulley
  • Thermometer & Hygrometer
  • 3 Gallon pots x ?? (3-4?)
  • trellis netting (size?)
  • pH Control Kit
  • Foxfarm Ocean Forest (amount?)

So this is where I am right now. I was looking at doing autos, with the mindset that a grow would be at most 90 days from start to finish( curing etc). We use about 2oz a month (wife has celiacs so lot of dietary/stress problems alleviated with herb). Would we expect autos to generate enough yield to rule out needing to go to the dispensary twice a month? Minimum 6 oz with the above setup i feel is easily doable but we've never grown so not sure what to expect.

Of the items listed, is there anything that should be increased/decreased? Is growing 4 plants with this light and tent size doable?

There are clearly some items that I should add to the shopping list but I simply don't know what would be considered a 'must have' or likewise something that makes the 'quality of life better' when growing (ie: meters/test kits/nutrients/trimmer/etc?)

I'd be stoked for any additional guidance/insight before I pull a trigger on things to order.

Thanks.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Only thing is that you may not finish in your time frame. I grew a pack of autos. 5 plants finished from 2.5 months to 4 months. Each plant can be different from the same pack of seeds. Height, size and grow time.

Also. Drying takes a week to 10 days and then jar curing at least a couple weeks. Figure up to 5 months for a full grow and cure from unknown plants.

Anthem

Anthem

I would consider a taller tent. Look at it like this. LED light needs about 6" from top of tent if you hand on racket straps, hard to get much higher. Led to plant distance 18", pot 12" tall. Plant height 73-6= 67"-18"= 49"-12=37" tall plant. If you have the room I would recommend a 96" tall tent. Gorilla has them with a free insert to reach 95 1/2". I went the 80" route once and that tent went in the trash can.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I would consider a taller tent. Look at it like this. LED light needs about 6" from top of tent if you hand on racket straps, hard to get much higher. Led to plant distance 18", pot 12" tall. Plant height 73-6= 67"-18"= 49"-12=37" tall plant. If you have the room I would recommend a 96" tall tent. Gorilla has them with a free insert to reach 95 1/2". I went the 80" route once and that tent went in the trash can.

I just bend them by week 2 in flower if they are too tall. But of course they bush out and take up more space wider.

Staypuffed

Staypuffed

Only thing is that you may not finish in your time frame. I grew a pack of autos. 5 plants finished from 2.5 months to 4 months. Each plant can be different from the same pack of seeds. Height, size and grow time.

Really bummin me out with those hard facts. I guess that means growing multiple strains is not really possible? I was looking at the autopack one site has with amnesia haze, blueberry, and northern lights. I'd hoped to grow a plant per but it sounds like that's a fantasy land idea?

Great thanks for the info. I've switched to a 96" tent. Didn't think that could be an issue. Good to know.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Is growing 4 plants with this light and tent size doable?

You could probably grow up to 8 plants in that tent. 6 would fit well and give you room to work. I have 11 in 5 x 5 right now in early flower. Once my shipment of lights arrive, I will divide the tent. 6 plants in the 5 x 5 and 5 in the 4 x4. Giving yourself space to work makes everything easier. Plants like that space too.

Staypuffed

Staypuffed

You could probably grow up to 8 plants in that tent. 6 would fit well and give you room to work. I have 11 in 5 x 5 right now in early flower. Once my shipment of lights arrive, I will divide the tent. 6 plants in the 5 x 5 and 5 in the 4 x4. Giving yourself space to work makes everything easier. Plants like that space too.

What kind of yield do you expect out of that type of setup?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Really bummin me out with those hard facts. I guess that means growing multiple strains is not really possible? I was looking at the autopack one site has with amnesia haze, blueberry, and northern lights. I'd hoped to grow a plant per but it sounds like that's a fantasy land idea?

Great thanks for the info. I've switched to a 96" tent. Didn't think that could be an issue. Good to know.

No it can surely be done. But you need to manage the height of the plants proactively. Its a learning experience for sure. Check my thread. I start a different seed or cut every week or two and harvest a plant about the same.

Just warning what to expect. I also think photoperiod fems are best for multi strain grows with a seperate veg area so you can flower plants at the height you want for some control. But autos are fun and good for experience growing.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

What kind of yield do you expect out of that type of setup?

Hard to say since this is my first grow in about 30 yrs, but looking at the plant structure, as long as I don't run into care issues, I will easily (very conservatively speaking) probably bring in 1.5 lbs. More is likely if I am patient and see this through correctly.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Get the insulated ducting with the black coating on the outside, it's only a few dollars more than the uncoated silver stuff

I found some on Ebay. Took less than a week to arrive and was cheaper than the foil wrapped stuff locally

Terpz719

Terpz719

Plus you may need floor space for things like a fan or a heater or humidifier or dehumidifier. Or all of them - kidding. Kinda.

Terpz719

Terpz719

Good advice and good call on your part. I went 96" H from the start and haven't regretted it.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Plus you may need floor space for things like a fan or a heater or humidifier or dehumidifier. Or all of them - kidding. Kinda.

LOL who needs floor space? I have all that in there but none of it is on the floor. I used a 1 x 10 x 5', some eye screws, and some nylon rope and rigged a hanging shelf.

Edit: You can see the shelf better in this picture I took last week.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
If you’re running autos, how big do they usually get. I read that on average range from 2-4’. Looking to run some myself.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

If you’re running autos, how big do they usually get. I read that on average range from 2-4’. Looking to run some myself.

Mine are 11 photo period, but one of those expressed itself as an auto and started flowering under 18/6. Without training my plants, I could see them out-growing their space. I only have 80" tall tent.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

what would you like to do

i might know a guy

some

may want pictures

i won't b needing them

I'll try my best to hang

and keep my shit together

Top Bottom