New Grower, In Dire Need Of Help

• Thread starter GreenFiend93
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GreenFiend93

Hey im new to the growing thing so i apologize in advance if im doing something completely wrong. Im about two momths in helping my grandmother with her grow operation (Everything Legal) and Ive been reading up on everthing i need to know about growing and i thought i was doing everything right but looking at the plants they dont seem to look very healthy. Theyre growing indoors for now and seem to have alot of problems to me.. Clawing leaves, soil stays wet for too long, lower leaves turning yellow then dying, flies, twisted growth on most.. Its a clusterfuck:speechless::speechless::sweating: So im just going to post a bunch of pics if thats ok and hopefully get some input on what i might be doing wrong

New grower in dire need of help
New grower in dire need of help 2
New grower in dire need of help 3
New grower in dire need of help 4
New grower in dire need of help 5
New grower in dire need of help 6
saltwater

saltwater

By the looks of it I can tell you have spider mites for starters. Also I've heard that you can get clawing leaves from too much nitrogen. (Nitrogen toxicity). So maybe bring down the amount of nutes.

I used those types of pots and had overwatering issues as well. So I switched to cloth pots and air pots and used coco (Dakine 420) as my substrate . Haven't had that problem since. Plus I was getting better results that way. But everyone has different experiences!

Last edited:
xavier7995

xavier7995

What kind of soil are you in? Going forward you might want to mix perelite or something like that in to help with airation/drainage. Other than the bugs, figuring out the watering front is the first thing I would look to fix. Are you letting them dry out most of the way/pull away from teh sides of the pot a bit? Like ph issues, overwatering kicks out various mystery problems and you can wind up chasing your tail trying to fix things when it was just that they were not getting to dry out and get air into the root zone.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Definitely have spider mites. I personally like using isopropyl as the control, but in this case I advise getting something like Azamax and treating the plants, the pots *and* the tents with it. Then you're going to have to pay closer attention to who and what gets in with the plants, as well as whether or not you're wearing clothing that's been worn outside, etc. Any and every thing can and does act as a carrier for the mites.

Next, they don't look all that bad, but they look cold to me. The clawing can be caused by nitrogen toxicity, but it can also be caused by too hot or cold conditions. Too cold will also cause what appears to be a bit of a phosphorous deficiency to my eyes.

But, right now we're kind of guessing. We don't really know what media these are planted in, what the environmental parameters are, what the husbandry consists of, pH of feed, water and media, lighting (light spectrum has an effect on nutrient utilization and uptake), etc.

What I would do FIRST is take each plant and clean it up. Get out everything that looks "hairy", the leaves too closely grown together on the inside that prevent good air flow and, this is key, the ability to make observations. This is the beginning of your canopy control.

After it's cleaned up, get it treated for spider mites. Use the label directions for chili peppers and/or tomatoes, that kind of annual consumable. I want you to use either Azamax or Azatrol specifically because they are known not to cause resistance in mites. Resistance is very real and a very big problem. These products are also safe for consumables and have a good established history in farming circles.

When you're done cleaning them up and treating them, it's time to get clothing and shoes into the washer and/or freezer. You need to not continually reinfect your grow space upon entering.

After that, get a handle on the environment and report that back to us. If the temps are cool, then the next thing that needs to be done is warm the plants up. If temps and RH are in good ranges, then we can address specific nutritional issues.

So the information we're going to need from you is the following:
Media (soil, peat, coco coir, soilless potting mix?)
pH parameters for feeding and watering
pH parameters of the media (slurry test is best for this IMO)
Feeding strength, I prefer EC but others use ppm or TDS (both derivations from EC)(if organic, this doesn't apply)
Temperatures day and night
Relative humidity levels day and night
Lighting
Plants age and type (clone or seed starts)

Afghi

Afghi

It looks like you have serious spider mite infestation as others have already pointed out. I had that problem for the first time last year, what a pain in the ass. For all the time i spent trying to get rid of them and the hassle i went through cleaning them all each time, it might be a lot easier for hou to start over, if you can ofcourse. If you have more seeds or access to clones then it might just be easier and might not cost you that much more time to just start over. If you do, make sure you clean your room really good before you reintroduce more plant's. Make sure you monitor your humidity and keep the rh in the proper range. I had a lot of issues with my leaves always being fucked up when i first started and humidity was a big problem for me at first. I know a lot of people shit on earth juice but i have been using it for years now and i love it. Maybe it doesn't give the biggest yields but i have found that the best smelling and tasting plants i have smoked have been grown with earth juice. Once you get it dialed in i find it works very nice at keeping my plants plush and healthy. Ofcourse any nutes will do that once you get them dialed in, i have just found that the EJ really keeps the plants natural smell, i have smoked the same strain grown with different nutes and from my experience i just found the EJ to be my favorite. As for those mites, if you decide to keep the plants and flower them out you might want to get some tanglefoot for when you are finished. I ended up finishing 6 rockstar kush plants last year that were infested with mites and i used the tanglefoot when i cut them at the end to dry and the stuff works very good. You might want to try and make sure none of your plants are touching eachother as well, might slow the mites down slightly. I put a lot of time into spraying my infested plants when i had my mite problem... i had to first take all my plants outdoors to spray them as the spray is nasty and not good to do indoors since you really need to soak the plants with the spray, underside of leaves and everything. You have to repeat this several times. I ended up doing this a few different times and still could never get rid of them completely. All i would do is slow them down but eventually they would come back. I managed to flower them and finish them without too bad an infestation, mainly by just spreading the plants out after i was done spraying them a few times and making sure no plants were ever touching. I actually had a couple plants out of the mix that never showed any signs of mites at all. I don't think the mites will walks down off your plant and across the floor/table to another plant as long as they still have healthy leaves left on the plant they are currently on. Like i said though, huge pain in the ass and if at all possible you might save yourself a lot of headache by starting over. If you are going to get clones from different people in the future yiu should always dunk them in some anti mite solution before you introduce them i to your home or room

Latest posts

Top Bottom