New Grower In The North With Photoperiod Plants Just Sprouted

• Thread starter thanosnap
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

thanosnap

Hello. I live in Minnesota where recreational cannabis growing and use just became legal 3 weeks ago. But it's like $250/ounce at the couple of reservation dispenaries we have so far. So I jumped on the growing bandwagon, bought some seeds, germinated 2 of them 5 days ago (in case one dies) and threw them in a solo cup with Miracle Gro seedling mix potting soil 3 days ago. And the seedlings look healthy; I thought I might've baked them in the sun but today a couple true leaves just started appearing.

Here's the problem: they're photoperiod plants. I bought the "Northern Lights" variety because I live in the North, and I got the photoperiod type because it had a short (6-8 week) flowering time. I'm just now realizing that the flowering type for photoperiod is the time actually spent flowering, not from seedling to bud like with autoflower. I know, newbie moves but keep in mind I've never grown anything before Monday.

I'd like to keep it outdoors as much as possible because of smell, less work, and not really wanting to buy a lot of equipment but it gets cold here starting in mid-October in about 8 weeks. Heck, 2 nights ago we had one of those rare nights where it got down to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I could stick it in the insulated attached garage on cold nights and maybe the laundry room towards the end if I really had to. Maybe put a small heater in the garage.

Does anybody have any tips on how to get these plants to harvest since it's so late in the season for photoperiod? Should I get an outdoors growbulb and give it a few more hours of light per night (right now we have 14 hrs of daylight) or just not worry about it and let it flower when it wants because it's so late in the season?

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I'm thinking stick it in a pot and put it in full sun. It will grow for a couple of weeks and go into flower.
It won;t be very big but you can likely get a couple of small buds off it. The cool nights will make it colorful. Just keep it dry and don't let it freeze. Other than that stick in under lights indoors and when it's a little bigger put it on 12 and 12. Start flowering it in about 60 days. Does not have to be fancy. Buy the time you grow it, dry and trim it, then do a nice job of curing it, it's going to be 8 months before you burn any anyway.

T

thanosnap

I'm thinking stick it in a pot and put it in full sun. It will grow for a couple of weeks and go into flower.
It won;t be very big but you can likely get a couple of small buds off it.
Yeah that makes sense. Since it my first time it's probably best not to overcomplicate it. Maybe try to extend it a week or two more with lights in the garage. 8 months; thats alot! I'm not really a smoker so I was thinking I would make a tincture or brownies. I could probably even use the leaves for that. Thanks!

Top Bottom