New Grower, Little Help Anyone?

• Thread starter KMProp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KMProp

Hi guys, Im a new grower and have started from seed, I've gone through germing etc no problem but made the mistake of over potting.

I'm about 3 week into being potted and seem to be getting nowhere! and just recently my darlings have started yellowing and forming a browney/grey spot.

I'm using Canna Terra Pro Plus soil, the soil states it's at ph 5.5 but I've been feeding with tap water (no ph up or down) maybe that could have something to do with it?

Any help would be appreciated!

New grower little help anyone
New grower little help anyone 2
akstoner

akstoner

Are you letting your tap water sit out for 24hrs before using it to water your lil babies????.......If not that is part of the problem 2nd is start lil babies (seedlings/clones) in rockwool and then wants roots start to show and spread you then take the rockwool and put it in to a solo cup after it has a good root bound and growth then you transfer into a 3 or 5 gallon pot.......just my .05.........also from the pic your soil looks alittle dry and try foliar spraying the babie (water in a spray bottle) 2 x's a day hope that helps enjoy

Also welcome to the Farm lots of knowledge in GrowFAQS!!!!!! read up and keep growing

K

KMProp

Are you letting your tap water sit out for 24hrs before using it to water your lil babies????.......If not that is part of the problem 2nd is start lil babies (seedlings/clones) in rockwool and then wants roots start to show and spread you then take the rockwool and put it in to a solo cup after it has a good root bound and growth then you transfer into a 3 or 5 gallon pot.......just my .05.........also from the pic your soil looks alittle dry and try foliar spraying the babie (water in a spray bottle) 2 x's a day hope that helps enjoy

Also welcome to the Farm lots of knowledge in GrowFAQS!!!!!! read up and keep growing

Thanks for the fast reply! I haven't been leaving the water to sit no, so I'll give that a try! I'm off to purchase a ph pen today to just double check the ph of the soil and water being fed to them. Also I germinated in a 24hr cup of water, transfered to Peat pods (jiffys) and once they had nice strong roots I potted them, I'll also give the spray bottle ago. Thanks for your help!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

you do need a ph pen and ppm pen,but with your pot ,dont worry about that ,it will be slow till the roots hit the bottom of pot,when they hit bottom they gonna take off ,but ya ph everything going in,soil is more forgiving ,but coco,perlite,peatmoss all those type mediums need the ph thing,control what going in and check what comes out ocasionally,in coco you should be running 5.5 to 6.o on ph,i start mine at 5.5 and work my way up to 6.0 before i flip

K

KMProp

you do need a ph pen and ppm pen,but with your pot ,dont worry about that ,it will be slow till the roots hit the bottom of pot,when they hit bottom they gonna take off ,but ya ph everything going in,soil is more forgiving ,but coco,perlite,peatmoss all those type mediums need the ph thing,control what going in and check what comes out ocasionally,in coco you should be running 5.5 to 6.o on ph,i start mine at 5.5 and work my way up to 6.0 before i flip

Appreciate the advice bro!

Sat thinking about the whole over potting sotuation I repotted today. Also I've given them a couple days in a small incubator as the humidity and the temps were real low in my room,

Are these pots big/small enough for them to be in?

All help and advice is very much appreciated!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

they will do,i know folks that do a whole grow out of solo cups,when them roots hit the bottom you will see what im talking about,then you will say hell look at these things stretch lol,you got this friend

K

KMProp

they will do,i know folks that do a whole grow out of solo cups,when them roots hit the bottom you will see what im talking about,then you will say hell look at these things stretch lol,you got this friend

Have you any idea why my first leaves are yellowing with awful grey blobs on them?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

well i no your useing canna coco,good stuff,are you feeding nutrients too,coco isnt soil so you have to feed it,you got a set of leaves so they need feed,it only has what you have put in it,coco also needs cal-mag with iron,whatever nutrients you are gonna use,the label tells you what to feed ,dont believe it less is best,if it calls for 1 teaspoon use a quarter of a teaspoon,what im saying is use 1/4 strength and work your way up,as the plant grows and crave more then you can bump it up,but with as small as it is right now 1/4 strength and dont forget the calmag plus,hope that helps you

K

KMProp

well i no your useing canna coco,good stuff,are you feeding nutrients too,coco isnt soil so you have to feed it,you got a set of leaves so they need feed,it only has what you have put in it,coco also needs cal-mag with iron,whatever nutrients you are gonna use,the label tells you what to feed ,dont believe it less is best,if it calls for 1 teaspoon use a quarter of a teaspoon,what im saying is use 1/4 strength and work your way up,as the plant grows and crave more then you can bump it up,but with as small as it is right now 1/4 strength and dont forget the calmag plus,hope that helps you

I'm actually using 1/2 dosage of Greenhouse Powder Feed Hybrid. (My babies are Jack Herers)

MajorPrune

MajorPrune

Have you any idea why my first leaves are yellowing with awful grey blobs on them?

Those first pics look like erratic/under-watering or if it's a crust and the bottoms of the pots are still wet, it's maybe fast, dry-air. [I see in another post you have low humidity, so fixing that will help]

Try using weight to tell when to water coco. The weight of the pot right after you water and it's stopped draining is your max weight and you lift them everyday until it feels like there's no more water at the bottom. Practice on containers with no seedlings to get the feel if can't spare seed or just use radishes or something. You want a moist sponge.

A good way I use is to take a fist of new medium and squeeze it. It should make a ball that holds shape until you poke it. If it just falls apart when you open your hand, it's too dry. If it holds together when poked at and some dripped out when you squeezed, it's too wet.

As for the spots; regardless of how that happened, the plant has basically left that behind and the leaf will probability look worse as time goes on.

But don't worry about that to much. Concentrate on the new growth. That's what the plant does. Once a part of leaf is dead like those grey-spots, the plant can't fix it, it just sucks up the sugary juice around it and grows new cells in other areas.

I used to fuck up my plants by thinking I had to be reviving totally lost leaf parts.

K

KMProp

Those first pics look like erratic/under-watering or if it's a crust and the bottoms of the pots are still wet, it's maybe fast, dry-air. [I see in another post you have low humidity, so fixing that will help]

Try using weight to tell when to water coco. The weight of the pot right after you water and it's stopped draining is your max weight and you lift them everyday until it feels like there's no more water at the bottom. Practice on containers with no seedlings to get the feel if can't spare seed or just use radishes or something. You want a moist sponge.

A good way I use is to take a fist of new medium and squeeze it. It should make a ball that holds shape until you poke it. If it just falls apart when you open your hand, it's too dry. If it holds together when poked at and some dripped out when you squeezed, it's too wet.

As for the spots; regardless of how that happened, the plant has basically left that behind and the leaf will probability look worse as time goes on.

But don't worry about that to much. Concentrate on the new growth. That's what the plant does. Once a part of leaf is dead like those grey-spots, the plant can't fix it, it just sucks up the sugary juice around it and grows new cells in other areas.

I used to fuck up my plants by thinking I had to be reviving totally lost leaf parts.

Yes the first picture was a while back the most recent one was actually taken today. The medium was never bone dry it just had a dry top inch but that may have something to do with having a 600w beast drying the f*** out of the soil lol I've just changed to a single T5 to 2 seedlings.

As for the yellow leaves, shall I just trim them down or snip them at their stem or just leave them?

Thanks.

MajorPrune

MajorPrune

Yes the first picture was a while back the most recent one was actually taken today. The medium was never bone dry it just had a dry top inch but that may have something to do with having a 600w beast drying the f*** out of the soil lol I've just changed to a single T5 to 2 seedlings.

As for the yellow leaves, shall I just trim them down or snip them at their stem or just leave them?

Thanks.
I'd just leave them until they are total brown and come off w/a slight tug.

K

KMProp

the first leaves are getting worse and worse but I've lost all sympathy for them, I'd just like to know if my new growth seems healthy! Opinions?

I've corrected my ph to 6.0 inc the powder feed. I've flushed my medium and still continuing to give them a little spray every now and then. Also they're in incubators until I can address the humidity situation in my room.

Many thanks.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

the new growth is what you need to look at,the old leaves wont heal,is your new growth green

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i still think the 5.5 was right,your runoff is 5.5 you feed 5.5 that means no salt build up,maybe this will help
PPM FOR HANNA CHART PPM
seedlings-early sprout 100-250 ppm ec 0.2-0.5
early veg 300-400 ppm 0.6-0.8 ec
full veg 450-700 ppm 0.9-1.4 ec
early bloom 750-950 ppm 1.5-1.9 ec
full mature bloom 1000-1600 ppm 2.0-3.2 ec
ok there are the ec and ppm readings,you are without a doubt in seedling stage,so follow that on chart when you feed,coco needs to be moist at all times,but it also needs drainage,put your coco medium in the pot and leave 1in from the top of pot,this is a good reference point for your watering,fill your water to top let it drain out,coco also doesnt like change leads to problems ,when feeding use nutrients each time you water,ive found that the ,feed,water,water knocks shit all out of whack,so even if your plants look like the dont need any put in a bare minium,got to be something each time ,except when its gettin close to harvest time and usally thats the last 2 weeks of its life,you also have to put cal-mag plus in each time,coco isnt like soil and get it from the soil,you have to give it to the plants,as mentioned above get you a pot same size fill with medium that your using ,just like the pots your using,soak that bitch down,let it drain till nothing else comes out,ok this worked great for me when i first started,instead of lifting pots,lean the mock pot towards you slowly,you can fill the resistance and weight,once you feel that exchange of weight,you can take your seedlings and do the same thing ,lean them towards you,you will feel the diffrence,now the diffrence of a dry pot versus a wet pot will be easier for you to tell when you need to feed,i have also used those pots that you have that seedling in,they dont drain for shit,take that drip tray off and get a bigger drip pan to set it in ,not sure about yours but mine didnt have enough holes in bottom to drain well,so i took a drill and made somemore,with drainage the pots will dry quicker ,but remember we dont want coco dry,thats were the dryer pot versus the soaked pot comes in you want to be at least in the middle,your light is cool ,does it have a switch on it ,like 25% 50% and then 100%,if it does dial it down to 25% until we start getting some more leaves,you can work it up to full light once you start a 3 set of leaves,most important thing to all this and this is also true for indoor or outdoor growing of veggies and the herb we both love is enviroment,you control that,you mention humidity problem ,this young you want a lot of humidity,when you get to full veg running ABOUT 50% is adverage once them girls go to flower the least amount of humidity is what your looking for,for no make sure you have air circulation ,try to get the fan to swirl around the room in a vortec motion,dont point fan right at your plants ,just keep the air moving in the room,also important for not getting bugs,anyway im tired of typing and hope that i could help you out,i been there just like you and everyone else,dont just take my word ,get several opinions and decide which way will work for you best,good luck hope this helped

K

KMProp

i still think the 5.5 was right,your runoff is 5.5 you feed 5.5 that means no salt build up,maybe this will help
PPM FOR HANNA CHART PPM
seedlings-early sprout 100-250 ppm ec 0.2-0.5
early veg 300-400 ppm 0.6-0.8 ec
full veg 450-700 ppm 0.9-1.4 ec
early bloom 750-950 ppm 1.5-1.9 ec
full mature bloom 1000-1600 ppm 2.0-3.2 ec
ok there are the ec and ppm readings,you are without a doubt in seedling stage,so follow that on chart when you feed,coco needs to be moist at all times,but it also needs drainage,put your coco medium in the pot and leave 1in from the top of pot,this is a good reference point for your watering,fill your water to top let it drain out,coco also doesnt like change leads to problems ,when feeding use nutrients each time you water,ive found that the ,feed,water,water knocks shit all out of whack,so even if your plants look like the dont need any put in a bare minium,got to be something each time ,except when its gettin close to harvest time and usally thats the last 2 weeks of its life,you also have to put cal-mag plus in each time,coco isnt like soil and get it from the soil,you have to give it to the plants,as mentioned above get you a pot same size fill with medium that your using ,just like the pots your using,soak that bitch down,let it drain till nothing else comes out,ok this worked great for me when i first started,instead of lifting pots,lean the mock pot towards you slowly,you can fill the resistance and weight,once you feel that exchange of weight,you can take your seedlings and do the same thing ,lean them towards you,you will feel the diffrence,now the diffrence of a dry pot versus a wet pot will be easier for you to tell when you need to feed,i have also used those pots that you have that seedling in,they dont drain for shit,take that drip tray off and get a bigger drip pan to set it in ,not sure about yours but mine didnt have enough holes in bottom to drain well,so i took a drill and made somemore,with drainage the pots will dry quicker ,but remember we dont want coco dry,thats were the dryer pot versus the soaked pot comes in you want to be at least in the middle,your light is cool ,does it have a switch on it ,like 25% 50% and then 100%,if it does dial it down to 25% until we start getting some more leaves,you can work it up to full light once you start a 3 set of leaves,most important thing to all this and this is also true for indoor or outdoor growing of veggies and the herb we both love is enviroment,you control that,you mention humidity problem ,this young you want a lot of humidity,when you get to full veg running ABOUT 50% is adverage once them girls go to flower the least amount of humidity is what your looking for,for no make sure you have air circulation ,try to get the fan to swirl around the room in a vortec motion,dont point fan right at your plants ,just keep the air moving in the room,also important for not getting bugs,anyway im tired of typing and hope that i could help you out,i been there just like you and everyone else,dont just take my word ,get several opinions and decide which way will work for you best,good luck hope this helped

Very much appreciated my friend!

Top Bottom