New grower. MH and HPS on the brain.

• Thread starter Hallucinati
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hallucinati

Hallucinati

Started vegging 2 weeks ago. Had to wait untill I got a proper HID light to start 12/12. I had been keeping it under the brightest white daylight looking bulbs I had 18/6 but during the day I was carrying the plant out into the house and sticking it in the sunniest window I had just to try to keep some green in the leaves! It was growing nicely but looking yellow stressed so I had to get HID asap. Finally found 2 stadium lights with ballasts for $25 each and wired them up with power cord and light switch to hang in my closet. Even though they are MH they really kicked a lot of green into the leaves, thank God. They are looking juicy already and I am stoked! I will keep updating to show progress.

The pics are 12 days into 12/12. I am blown away at how fast they are changing every day!!

New grower  mh and hps on the brain
New grower  mh and hps on the brain 2
New grower  mh and hps on the brain 3
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Looks good! Standard mh bulbs will grow a nice stocky shorter leafier plant to a degree but also can stimulate resin production over a standard hps bulb. I grew some great tasting stony stuff under mh. Just little less yield and maybe density than hps. Maybe i should have defoliated more for denser buds.

Hallucinati

Hallucinati

Looks good! Standard mh bulbs will grow a nice stocky shorter leafier plant to a degree but also can stimulate resin production over a standard hps bulb. I grew some great tasting stony stuff under mh. Just little less yield and maybe density than hps. Maybe i should have defoliated more for denser buds.
I have defoliated quite a bit! The leaf density is so thick it practically steals it own light. I pinched it several times and ended up with 32 colas. I have only removed 3 of the colas, as they were just getting left behind, but all of the others look about even.
This is under a 400w mh. I should be getting a 1000w hps in the mail tomorrow, so im going to switch to that until the last two weeks, then do mh to get a little more juicy. I'll update when i switch it to hps in the next few days.

10w30

10w30

Supporter
looking good, do you have a scope to check the trich's im 14 days in 12/12 and thinking about getting something to check

Bodean

Bodean

I like to run mh first and last two weeks in flower. Hps in between of course. Minimize stretch and increase in resin are main reasons. Really I just read that somewhere when first starting and just ran with it.

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Great start.
The first 20 years of indoor farming was done under 1000w MH bulbs!
I didn't even know what a HPS was until they late 90's!

Hallucinati

Hallucinati

I am losing my mind! I fed it advanced nutes 3 part and the next day things started going south. I do have it under hps now, but it was thriving until i fed it! I have checked the soil run-off after i watered and it was terribly low on the ph. Like 4 or 5. But i immediately started flushing with ph up and the run-off will not come up for anything. These leaves started from the older lower fans and have now moved up the plant and are starting to come up the colas! Upon research i have found that almost everything from ph, to nute deficiency, to manganese, to magnesium, to overwatering to leaf fungus to....etc. It seems that almost EVERYTHING has THESE SYMPTOMS! I am running out of good green foliage to photosynthesize with. Pleeease help!

canothink5

canothink5

What is your water source? The low ph may have caused lockout. What is the medium are you growing in? Flushing is a step in the right direction.

Hallucinati

Hallucinati

What is your water source? The low ph may have caused lockout. What is the medium are you growing in? Flushing is a step in the right direction.
Tap water and soil. I think i have some ki d of answer now. See pics:

20200213 141019
20200213 123829
20200213 123548
20200213 123510
visajoe1

visajoe1

Try giving 6.5ph water for a few days and let her stabilize, there is plenty in the soil for her to be fine for now. If soil ph dipped too low, the plant will have difficulty accessing the nutrients it needs even though the elements are there.

In 4-5 days feed lightly (.5 ec-ish) and ensure 6.5ph after mixing nutes.

This is fixable, hang in there

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

To prove a point to a friend i grew a red dwarf auto useing to full spec spotlights + clamp, $70 bucks, im not going to buy red lights to flower it as i have a booster, but here is it at day 50, i use the spots for sidelight, it's perfectly possible to grow like this on a buget till you can save for a real light, if im lucky i may get an 1/8 lol, but there are lots of ways to improvise.

20200213 165021
20200213 165037
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

To prove a point to a friend i grew a red dwarf auto useing to full spec spotlights + clamp, $70 bucks, im not going to buy red lights to flower it as i have a booster, but here is it at day 50, i use the spots for sidelight, it's perfectly possible to grow like this on a buget till you can save for a real light, if im lucky i may get an 1/8 lol, but there are lots of ways to improvise.

You can buy high bay led warehouse lights for a couple hundred a panel. Bet the results would be just like an hlg.

Only the most recent samsung diodes are even supposedly made for horticulture.

Just like HPS were street lights first. And MH before that. Led panels and cobs were developed for retail store lighting and warehouse lighting.

Applications where color rendering is important.

Hallucinati

Hallucinati

I actually bought 2 high bay warehouse lights (mh 400w) with ballasts and reflector hoods with diffuser cover (lens) for 25 bucks each! I wired them up with cords and switches but it was easy as hell. Check craigslist and fb marketplace. For now, while everyone is switching to led lighting, they are everywhere and for cheap. I found 50 of them for 12 bucks a piece if i get the whole lot. 30 each if i just want 1. Pretty amazing. Take a look, they are out there!

Latest posts

Top Bottom