New Grower Needs A Trained Eye

• Thread starter Godfjottir
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Godfjottir

Hi everyone, I'm growing my first plants, and I think I need an experienced eye. I don't know whether they have too much or too little nitrogen, water, or anything else.

These are Afghan Kush from Worldofseeds and Hash Plant from Sensi.
The HP #1 was a day earlier than the AK #1 up from the soil, but it arrived in darkness in 100% humidity, for maybe 12 hours or so, I think that made it too stretchy in the beginning, but after I propped it up and bent/broke the stem numerous times, it has now the burliest stem. In the beginning the AK #1 always was the happiest, perky and responsive (would quickly turn towards the light) a nice variance from light to darker green, while the HP semed to make too big leaves to hold up properly, getting white-ish mottles and stripes in the leaves, and making asymmetric leaves.
I had been watering every second day or so, some seemed to need less, some more.
Then for a moment the HP suddenly took off, growing and seeming very happy. A week ago I spotted a small black fly and so I dried them out for 4 days. You can see the 1 liter pots have holes all over.
Then watered them, dried for two days, then watered today.
Now the HP is looking sad indeed, and both its and the AK's first real leaves have brown tips and are yellowing.
Less than a week ago I ate a couple of top leaves from both them and AK #2 because they had the tiniest brown tip. Also, see the plant with the downturned tip next to HP #1? That one is purple underneath its first real leaves. Haven't seen another fly.

They have been in 28-29'C 30% fast moving air for a couple weeks (this sensor is in the light, the shaded one would be 25-26'C), but have now managed to lower the temp and increase the humidity to 25'C 55% again. They are under a 600w DE MH, at 400w in the morning and evenings. Down to 15'C nights I think.

They have been getting NPK RAW nutrients: Humic, fulvic, vit. B, amino acids, kelp, yucca, 'grow' microbes, a bit of silica, cal/mag and phosphorous now and again. When the AK #1 started seeming too light green I started giving them the NPK 'grow' mix, I think pretty dilute and only every 2/3 waterings. It 'immediately' turned dark, and still everything seemed fine. I don't have any way to measure water yet, but the tap water here is very good and so probably not treated a lot. The soil is specially for seedlings, it seemed a bit too dense to me so all but the biggest plants are repotted with a bit of porous lava rock in it.

Can you please help me diagnose the depressed plants?

G

Afghan kush 1jpg
Hash plant 1jpg
Last edited:
G

Godfjottir

Like I said, it's full of holes. air on all sides. Look at the HP now, just a couple hours later. Looks perky! Was it the water, or the humidity?

Hash Plant 1 02
Afghan Kush 1 02
J

jsv1027

IMHO, I think that you may be over-watering. You don't want to have wet soil constantly. Water babies, then don't water again until soil is mostly dry. Looks like you could use some more perlite in your soul mix, also.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Over watering.

Notice the stems on the sun leaves point out like normal, then the leafs droop? Post #3 first pic really shows this. That is over watering. Under watering the entire stem and leaf droop. Good luck.

J

jsv1027

Like I said, it's full of holes. air on all sides. Look at the HP now, just a couple hours later. Looks perky! Was it the water, or the humidity?
J
Hi everyone, I'm growing my first plants, and I think I need an experienced eye. I don't know whether they have too much or too little nitrogen, water, or anything else.

These are Afghan Kush from Worldofseeds and Hash Plant from Sensi.
The HP #1 was a day earlier than the AK #1 up from the soil, but it arrived in darkness in 100% humidity, for maybe 12 hours or so, I think that made it too stretchy in the beginning, but after I propped it up and bent/broke the stem numerous times, it has now the burliest stem. In the beginning the AK #1 always was the happiest, perky and responsive (would quickly turn towards the light) a nice variance from light to darker green, while the HP semed to make too big leaves to hold up properly, getting white-ish mottles and stripes in the leaves, and making asymmetric leaves.
I had been watering every second day or so, some seemed to need less, some more.
Then for a moment the HP suddenly took off, growing and seeming very happy. A week ago I spotted a small black fly and so I dried them out for 4 days. You can see the 1 liter pots have holes all over.
Then watered them, dried for two days, then watered today.
Now the HP is looking sad indeed, and both its and the AK's first real leaves have brown tips and are yellowing.
Less than a week ago I ate a couple of top leaves from both them and AK #2 because they had the tiniest brown tip. Also, see the plant with the downturned tip next to HP #1? That one is purple underneath its first real leaves. Haven't seen another fly.

They have been in 28-29'C 30% fast moving air for a couple weeks (this sensor is in the light, the shaded one would be 25-26'C), but have now managed to lower the temp and increase the humidity to 25'C 55% again. They are under a 600w DE MH, at 400w in the morning and evenings. Down to 15'C nights I think.

They have been getting NPK RAW nutrients: Humic, fulvic, vit. B, amino acids, kelp, yucca, 'grow' microbes, a bit of silica, cal/mag and phosphorous now and again. When the AK #1 started seeming too light green I started giving them the NPK 'grow' mix, I think pretty dilute and only every 2/3 waterings. It 'immediately' turned dark, and still everything seemed fine. I don't have any way to measure water yet, but the tap water here is very good and so probably not treated a lot. The soil is specially for seedlings, it seemed a bit too dense to me so all but the biggest plants are repotted with a bit of porous lava rock in it.

Can you please help me diagnose the depressed plants?

G
what kind of soil are you using? That could be a problem as well.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I also see no mention of pH parameters, and everything the plants are saying suggests to me they're not happy with pH parameters. Also, learn what vapor pressure deficit is and how it affects your plants. I believe VPD is out of range.

Bannacis

Bannacis

You mentioned that your water is good and "probably" not treated. You cannot guess on these things. needs checked.
You def need to add some perlite to you soil, just straight peat will be nothing but problems.

Top Bottom