New grower old smoker needs help

• Thread starter RDW
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RDW

RDW

Now that I'm retired I've decided to grow my own. I have 4 little ones with a problem already. As you see in the attached photo the leaves have started to turn yellow. All 4 are the same.
Anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated for the old man.
Yellow leaf

Rick

US Army 5th SFG (Retired)
"To Liberate the Oppressed"
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, no money left, beer in one hand, a joint in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a helluva ride!!"

freezeland2

freezeland2

Few things going on. That pot is a bit large for that plant. Watering it properly is going to be a challenge. What medium is that and what kind of light and light intensity is it under. Are you already feeding it nutrients? If so what?

Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum.

RDW

RDW

Freezeland2- Thanks so much for the quick reply.
I have yet to start feeding them nutrients. Should I start? If so, what would you suggest?
I water them every day.
I have the light adjusted to 50%. On 18 off 6.

White Widow Auto
4'x4'x6.5' Mars Hydro
LED / 310W Mars TSW 2000

Ponky

Ponky

Your media should have a consistent level of moisture. Rather than spot watering. Typically it's advised to start a seed in a small nursery pot or solo cup. Then transplant. There are ProMix grows. Sunshine mix. Soil. Coco. Assorted soils. We all have our favorites. Some are better than others for seedlings.
If you share your growing goals I think it could help you out.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Freezeland2- Thanks so much for the quick reply.
I have yet to start feeding them nutrients. Should I start? If so, what would you suggest?
I water them every day.
I have the light adjusted to 50%. On 18 off 6.

White Widow Auto
4'x4'x6.5' Mars Hydro
LED / 310W Mars TSW 2000
What is the medium? You shouldn’t need to water every day. Water to run off and then let it dry out and then repeat. Lift the pot so you know what it feels like dry. Water to run off and don’t water again until it feels like it did. Make sense?

Im not familiar with those lights. Does it have a dimmer. Have you measured the lux at the top of the plant? Plant that size should be getting 15-20k lux.
Let us know about that medium so you can get recommendations on nutrients.

Panhead59

Panhead59

It's an auto so correct not to transplant to much. I agree though, that makes waTering correctly difficult.

sunwestgenetics

sunwestgenetics

Give your plant more sunlight and support it with sufficient water. Small plant is perfect to a small pot, the larger it gets transfer it to a larger pot. And a note, research about cannabis plants and growing guide there are a lot of them and we are one.

OutdoorGrowGuy

OutdoorGrowGuy

Now that I'm retired I've decided to grow my own. I have 4 little ones with a problem already. As you see in the attached photo the leaves have started to turn yellow. All 4 are the same.

Rick

I have to agree with the others, looks too damp / overwatered.

May I ask, are those large wood chips / mulch all through the mix?
Large wood chip mulch has a tendency to sap nitrogen from the soil and can lead to deficiency. Looks pretty old in your case, but fresher the mulch the worse it generally is.

I recommend a lighter mulch. Pea straw, sugarcane, something like that.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I'm using Black Gold Compost Blend.
If you don’t have a light meter you can down load an app to iPhone or Android. You should check how much light they are getting. Are you monitoring temp and Rh in that tent? What is the water source?

OutdoorGrowGuy

OutdoorGrowGuy

I'm using Black Gold Compost Blend.
I checked it out. If you can post a picture or link of the specific product, it would help.
First glance the current soil doesn't look suitable as a potting mix to me. Going to be really difficult to keep healthy and not overwatered.

Looks more suitable for outdoor beds, or large containers. The "Black Gold Compost Blend" I'm viewing seems to suggest so as well.
Closest it comes towards advertising itself as a potting mix is as "potting mix component".
It's not a potting mix.

Early days yet, plants are still small. You could transplant into some good quality potting mix?
Up to you, I'm not going to make that kind of call. Haven't used the same soil before, just telling you what I can see.

Jimmie

Jimmie

View attachment 1186356
Rick

US Army 5th SFG (Retired)
"To Liberate the Oppressed"
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, no money left, beer in one hand, a joint in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a helluva ride!!"
9F929831 9624 496E 90A3 98A51A6270E2

SSgrower

SSgrower

Hey bro, Semper Fi here, Wallyworld has Pro-Mix cheap and it's never let me down. The fox farms will work just more expensive, my 2 cents. SS

Panhead59

Panhead59

Ffhf( fox farm happy frog) is good soil. Many here use it, including me. I'm only on my second grow so I can just help with the basics. Tks
For your service. I was an ordnance mechanic mostly on the Phantom, F-4, USMC, '75-'79. 1st thing is getting the environment within specs. (I have same tent, light, etc. As you. ) That's light distance and strength, temp, rh (humidity), light on duration etc. Those are
the type things u c others helping u with. So, transplant into ffhf is a good call. WaTer thoughly but then let dry out. Some say autos don't like to be transplanted. Your call of course but I'd go 1 gal. Pots to start, then approx. 3 wks. Go to final 3 gal. Fabric pots seem to drain and breathe adequately. Incorrect watering is #1 issue, by far, with new growers. Search how to water here. You are overwatering already imo. Lift new pot with your new soil and weigh or remember weight. It will be VERY light. This is how light it should feel when it's time to water. Weed likes to dry out considerably. Once they get bigger, you can look for droopy leaves as a sign to water. So repot, download lux (light) app, get temp. And rh correct, and pretty soon get a small fan or two for air circulation. And read the watering article, and you'll be good to go for awhile. No nutes (fertilizer) required for 3-4 weeks with ffhf. Hope this helps.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Also, don't worry to much about water ph or other things water related. The ffhf soil will adjust auto. Just don't use "city water" as weed doesn't tolerate chlorine. If on a well, u r good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom